Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 wireless routers, 1 network

Options
  • 19-04-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem, I have over the air Broadband with NET1 and I want to be able to configure 2 wireless routers off it.
    There are loads of articles on the net about it and I tried a few different solutions but none have worked so far.

My present set up is:

NET1 antenna-
    POE-
    4 way switch-
    Belkin wireless router.

This works fine on its own but what I have done is taken an ethernet cable from the switch to a seperate wireless router (Netgear) in a garage, I already have the cable run and router in place and it works on its own when the house router is plugged out but both routers will not work in tandem, the IP adresses are different on the routers, i changed them over, tried different addresses and still the problem remained.
    I set the DHCP server to off on the second router and set up the laptops IP manually and the problem was the same.

Taking a cable from one router to another would be difficult so I'd prefer some solution that will work using the existing set up I have in place, I'm hoping its just a matter of setting up each router properly!

I'm running out of ideas and if someone can help me out I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem, I have over the air Broadband with NET1 and I want to be able to configure 2 wireless routers off it.
    There are loads of articles on the net about it and I tried a few different solutions but none have worked so far.

My present set up is:

NET1 antenna-
    POE-
    4 way switch-
    Belkin wireless router.

This works fine on its own but what I have done is taken an ethernet cable from the switch to a seperate wireless router (Netgear) in a garage, I already have the cable run and router in place and it works on its own when the house router is plugged out but both routers will not work in tandem, the IP adresses are different on the routers, i changed them over, tried different addresses and still the problem remained.
    I set the DHCP server to off on the second router and set up the laptops IP manually and the problem was the same.

Taking a cable from one router to another would be difficult so I'd prefer some solution that will work using the existing set up I have in place, I'm hoping its just a matter of setting up each router properly!

I'm running out of ideas and if someone can help me out I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Bump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Take the cable in the garage (with one end from the 4 ports switch ).
    Connect a laptop,set on DHCP,if Belkin is on DHCP,if not make it static.
    That should give you same IP range as the Belkin router range.
    That means that cable/connection (Layer2/Layer3) works fine.

Plug the Netgear router and check.Possible that the WAN side of the Netgear setup on ADSL (?!?),WAN with static IP or ...none due to start-up wizard !

My best educated guess...

Take the cable in the garage (with one end from the 4 ports switch ).
    Connect a laptop,set on DHCP,if Belkin is on DHCP,if not make it static.
    That should give you same IP range as the Belkin router range.
    That means that cable/connection (Layer2/Layer3) works fine.

Plug the Netgear router and check.Possible that the WAN side of the Netgear setup on ADSL (?!?),WAN with static IP or ...none due to start-up wizard !

My best educated guess...

Thanks for replying but no joy yet, If reading any other articles is anything to go by I'll have to try plugging one router into another and set the the 2nd one to DHCP off, it would cause me a lot of hassle doing that!!

I would be interested to know if anyone else can come up with some solution for this to work, please!!

NET1 antenna-
    POE-
    4 way switch-
    2 seperate ethernet cables running to:
    Belkin wireless router and Netgear wireless router in 2 seperate locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

If you want to Wireless Routers on one Network you need to make one a DHCP Server which Gives the IP address out, and the Other an Access Point and Make Sure you use the DHCP Server& the Access point Server on two different Channels I.E Access on Channel 8 and DHCP on channel 11, no over lapping will occur.

if you want to Stick a Cable in from One to Another the same will apply making sure you turn off DHCP on one of them and place the Cable into LAN port 4, it could also be your not using a Cross Over Cable.. LIKE TO LIKE CROSS OVER CABLE !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cork24 wrote: »
    If you want to Wireless Routers on one Network you need to make one a DHCP Server which Gives the IP address out, and the Other an Access Point and Make Sure you use the DHCP Server& the Access point Server on two different Channels I.E Access on Channel 8 and DHCP on channel 11, no over lapping will occur.

if you want to Stick a Cable in from One to Another the same will apply making sure you turn off DHCP on one of them and place the Cable into LAN port 4, it could also be your not using a Cross Over Cable.. LIKE TO LIKE CROSS OVER CABLE !

yes it will, you need to be 5 away, 1, 6 and 11 are the non overlapping channels

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, I've been away for a few days so only seeing this now, I did try something like this already where I turned the DHCP server off on one router and it seemed I had the same problem, hopefully I'll get time later in the week to mess about with it and try it out again

Advertisement