Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda with no licience,tax, and bald tyres kills two and gets a fine!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Legend!! It was Limerick. No loss then.

Mod

Poster banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Two people died as a result of the incident in January 2011.

Garda Enda Clifford, who is based at Henry Street Garda Station, appeared at the District court in Limerick on a number of charges arising from an investigation by the Garda Ombudsman's Office into the fatal accident on the M20 motorway outside Limerick on 13 January 2011.

Garda Clifford is a native of Killorglin, with an address at Milltown, Co Kerry.

He was described in court as being a member of the Traffic Corps, but Henry Street Garda station has said he was never a member of the corps.

The court heard Garda Clifford was driving home after work on the M20 southbound motorway outside Limerick when he was confronted by two pedestrians who were on the ground in the middle of the road.

They suffered fatal injuries after they were struck by Garda Clifford's car.

During the investigation which followed, it transpired that Garda Clifford had no driving licence, no car tax and had two bald tyres which the court heard today were extensively worn.

Garda Clifford made a plea admitting to all charges.
    For people on mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I usually detest Garda bashing threads but I'm making an exception this time.

That stinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Hang on, he knocked the two people down but they were on the ground having a scuffle in the middle of the motorway at night (as you do) and the car ran over them. If I remember correctly the garda didn't even know what he'd hit as it was so dark - that stretch of the motorway has no lights. He is being fined for driving without a licence or insurance and isn't culpable for anything else that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

no comment in light of funkstards new evidence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

he was confronted by two pedestrians who were on the ground in the middle of the road
    What does that mean? They were lying on the road and he drove over them?

Edit - tnx to Funkstard for the clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Funkstard wrote: »
    Hang on, he knocked the two people down but they were on the ground having a scuffle in the middle of the motorway at night (as you do) and the car ran over them. If I remember correctly the garda didn't even know what he'd hit as it was so dark - that stretch of the motorway has no lights. He is being fined for driving without a licence or insurance and isn't culpable for anything else that happened.
    So a pewrson who is not qualified to drive (no driving licience) drives an unroadworthy car (bald tyres) down a motorway, but they are not culpable for the results of that, maybe you would like to give him a Scott Medal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

he hit and killed two people

Who were lying on the motorway at night

You didn't include that in your OP though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This was just an unfortunate accident. It's not like the ex munster player who was shítfaced and hit a parked car on a straight stretch of road.
    Nothing to get outraged about here.

But he should never have been driving a car in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From the Irish independent:
    Investigators are examining the possibility that the two men may have been involved in an altercation on the outbound lane of the motorway when the car driven by the off-duty male officer crashed into them.
    so the pair were having a fight ON a 120kph Motorway and the Garda settled their argument for them.

Without knowing much more, the condition of the car and other circumstances relating to the guard seems to be secondary to the fact that the 2 lads were on a motorway illegally and unexpectedly.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-seek-identity-of-second-man-hit-by-offduty-officers-car-2495902.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

he was driving with no driving license ?

I would like to see anyone else just get a fine for having no licene... If it was anyone else they would get more then a fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

lividduck wrote: »
    So a pewrson who is not qualified to drive (no driving licience) drives an unroadworthy car (bald tyres) down a motorway, but they are not culpable for the results of that, maybe you would like to give him a Scott Medal!

You're kind of missing the point. If he had a driving license, had taxed the car, had decent tyres in good condition........... he still would have driven over the two lying on the motorway. So in that sense the conditions of the tyres etc obviously were found to have had no bearing on the accident. Now if he had braked or something beforehand and it was found that the bald nature of the tyres played a role in hitting those people then you'd have a valid point.

Having said that, the fine is crazily low, and I hope he's turfed out of the force too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

He could have driven a new car off the factory line in perfect condition and still couldn't avoid what happened.

He is merely being fined for the bad condition of his car, and lack of a licence etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Was it a private car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Obviously not enough information to go by here or on RTE news website. You would think RTE would be able to print a simple news story properly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

If you wouldn't mind reading either my post or the article properly you'll see that he has been prosecuted for driving with bald tyres and without insurance or a licence, but none of these (as per an investigation stated in the article) led to the deaths of the two men. Them having a fight in the middle of the motorway, in the dark, is what led to their death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Who were lying on the motorway at night

You didn't include that in your OP though

Yea thats a key piece of information tbf

• Advertisement

And it's no tthe end of the matter.

Garda Ombudsman is carrying out a full investigation so he may still have to face further charges.

If you wouldn't mind reading either my post or the article properly you'll see that he has been prosecuted for driving with bald tyres and without insurance or a licence, but none of these (as per an investigation stated in the article) led to the deaths of the two men. Them having a fight in the middle of the motorway, in the dark, is what led to their death.

But it did lead to their deaths. Had he followed the law he would certainly not have killed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Its the people who were killed own fault for being on motorway in middle of night, fighting or whatever they were doing.

Even if gardai had driver licence, new tyres they still would be dead.

But it did lead to their deaths. Had he followed the law he would certainly not have killed them.

Had he followed the law and not driven the car, he certainly wouldn't have, but the next car would have.

He couldn't help what happened, apart from not being there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Did he not have lights on his car? Surely if it was dark he would have had full beams on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

He would still of killed them. No mater how good the tyres or reactions of the driver you are not gonna bring an average car form 120kph to a stop in the time he would of seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

professore wrote: »
    Did he not have lights on his car? Surely if it was dark he would have had full beams on.

I dont get this part either.

at night on that stretch of road (no road side lighting) doing 120kmph he would have been on them before he knew it I imagine.

Also to be fair, 2 guys lying/fighting on the ground in the middle of the motorway is not something you would be looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they had been following the law, they wouldn't have died.

He can only really be held accountable for a reasonably foreseeable outcome of his actions. Our law doesn't include a "wrong place, wrong time" concept that punishes people for simply being in a place at a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

surely it's a requirement for any garda to have a full driving license? It is in the Fire Brigade.

Had he followed the law and not driven the car, he certainly wouldn't have, but the next car would have.

He couldn't help what happened, apart from not being there in the first place.

We don't know that for sure. The only thing we do know for sure is a driver who shouldn't have been on the road killed two people.

It is obvouis it was an accident and the driver must have in right shock after it but it doesn't absolve him from the deaths.

If the car had of been in road worthy condition, it could have been avoided...

And how the fuk could you not see 2 people on a road? Had he no lights?

Last but not least ... He had no bloody license. HE SHOULDN'T OF BEEN ON THE ROAD !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

seamus wrote: »

But a car coming along 30 seconds later would have anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not nessessarly. If he followed the letter of the law he could have had his licence renewed the week before and still drove.
    The people on the middle of the road were the people who made the biggest mistake here.

seamus wrote: »

They aren't the ones being prosecuted. I think the consequences of their law breaking was severe enough.

• Advertisement

rotinaj wrote: »
    He would still of killed them. No mater how good the tyres or reactions of the driver you are not gonna bring an average car form 120kph to a stop in the time he would of seen them.

Its a motor way... big enough road and space for a car to be moved.. hardly imagine the 2 of them where taking up the whole road

We don't know that for sure. The only thing we do know for sure is a driver who shouldn't have been on the road killed two people.

It is obvouis it was an accident and the driver must have in right shock after it but it doesn't absolve him from the deaths.

But sure there would have been a forensic investigation in to what happened. If the condition of the car or his ability was found to be at fault, he would have been charged with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    he was driving with no driving license ?

I would like to see anyone else just get a fine for having no licene... If it was anyone else they would get more then a fine

I doubt theres any shortage of court cases where people get fines for being caught with no licence.

No driving licence, no car tax and had two bald tyres, The solicitor said while he did not want to dilute the tragic consequences of this accident, the garda was not facing any driving charges and there was no criminal culpability in the case.

Doesn't this account for a driving ban ?. It would if it was any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have you never nearly had a heart attack when you're almost on top of an unlit cyclist/pedestrian at night? Because I have, and that's mostly in the city on "lit" roads. There's absolutely nothing reflective about two people lying in the overtaking lane on a motorway, lights count for almost nothing - and at motorway speed even if he had seen them it's doubtful if he'd be able to stop in time anyway.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    at night on that stretch of road (no road side lighting) doing 120kmph he would have been on them before he knew it I imagine.

Where exactly did it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The court appear to have been lienent. They overlooked his not being insured.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Penalty-points/Types-of-offences/
    No insurance: 5 penalty points and a fine of up to €2,500 and/or a possible term of imprisonment

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He got no driving ban?

He could apply for a licence and be on the road legally in a few weeks time?

Its a motor way... big enough road and space for a car to be moved.. hardly imagine the 2 of them where taking up the whole road

It was at night, on an unlit part of the motorway, doing 120kmph.

I drive home that road every night, I cant imagine that it would be that easy to spot the 2 guys. Doubt they were wearing hi-viz jackets.

I'm not defending the guy, he will face alot more consequences than a 900e fine i imagine, and I guess it will haunt the guy.

The fact that he is a Guard is of little relevance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If the car had of been in road worthy condition, it could have been avoided...
    Pure speculation.
    Last but not least ... He had no bloody license. HE SHOULDN'T OF BEEN ON THE ROAD !
    Hence the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Have you never nearly had a heart attack when you're almost on top of an unlit cyclist/pedestrian at night? Because I have, and that's mostly in the city on "lit" roads. There's absolutely nothing reflective about two people lying in the overtaking lane on a motorway, lights count for almost nothing - and at motorway speed even if he had seen them it's doubtful if he'd be able to stop in time anyway.

You could possibly swerve to avoid them though.

I'm interested to know why he had no license but owned a car. Had he never had a license, had he lost a license, was he not required to have a license?

There was a Garda on the N3 who killed a woman while driving and, if I recall correctly, he had no license. The outcome of a court case was that he did not need one as he was a Garda.

Edit:

This is the case I am referring to

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/garda-in-fatal-crash-didnt-have-a-driving-licence-inquest-told-1945362.html

It says that the legislation not requiring him to have a license was recommended to be reviewed so maybe they do need it now.

He was driving to court when he killed her so he was doing so in the line of his duty but if you have no license but own a car and kill someone while driving, it is obvious you have been driving for a while.

Where exactly did it happen?

Somewhere past the Raheen exit from what I understand

tuxy wrote: »
    He got no driving ban?

He could apply for a licence and be on the road legally in a few weeks time?

He has been fined for his motoring related offenses. He was not charged of speeding/drink driving so no ban.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Seachmall wrote: »
    Pure speculation.

Hence the fine.

The fine is that part I have a problem with, driving with no Insurance and License in an unroadworthy car should be an automatic driving ban.

There was a Garda on the N3 who killed a woman while driving and, if I recall correctly, he had no license. The outcome of a court case was that he did not need one as he was a Garda.

It doesn't matter if he is a garda, If you drive a vehicle on any road you have to have a licence end of story. There shouldn't be one set of rules for 1 person and another set for the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement