Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda with no licience,tax, and bald tyres kills two and gets a fine!

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's strange how attitudes change when a Garda is involved. So despite your previous near misses with idiots and dopy people on the road you now believe it is completely the fault of the driver.

:D Well done thanks for the laugh.
    Typical mule eh :pac:

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No heater or fan to adjust either no doubt.

He would lose concentration doing this either he freezes to death or collapses at the wheel with the heat.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

No heater or fan to adjust either no doubt.

I think the quoted poster should be banned for advocating dangerous driving behaviour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's strange how attitudes change when a Garda is involved. So despite your previous near misses with idiots and dopy people on the road you now believe it is completely the fault of the driver.

Ahh picking old posts up from me are we. well I never hit anyone because i can damn well see the problem and slow down or stop in time. Just because I had a few near misses does not mean anything as I was well aware of the situation going on in front of me and had time to slowdown or stop. :rolleyes: And no I never used a radio in the car, whats so hard to believe in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

zenno wrote: »
    Ahh picking old posts up from me are we. well I never hit anyone because i can damn well see the problem and slow down or stop in time. Just because I had a few near misses does not mean anything as I was well aware of the situation going on in front of me and had time to slowdown or stop. :rolleyes: And no I never used a radio in the car, whats so hard to believe in that.

When you put a halo over your own head your asking to be shot down. Speaking of your self proclaimed super braking skills. So it would seem you weren't always perfect by any means. Nobidy is. Especially when it comes to driving. You should keep that in mind.
    the reason i failed the test then was that i didn't brake hard skid stop as an emergency stop.

zenno wrote:

But surely from your experiences of people walking out in front of you, you can see how easily it could happen? Are you saying that the driver is always at fault because they weren't so quick to stop as you were?

You seem to be a music lover. You even mention spending a night at the beach in your car listening to tunes. So when you are on the drive home after that, you don't switch on your radio? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

When you put a halo over your own head your asking to be shot down. Speaking of your self proclaimed super braking skills. So it would seem you weren't always perfect by any means. Nobidy is. Especially when it comes to driving. You should keep that in mind.

Funny how you take the time to trawl through other posters comments, yet won't take the time to answer a simple question...
    thebullkf wrote: »
    lemme guess... you a garda?

well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

well I never hit anyone because i can damn well see the problem and slow down or stop in time.

So this, you assume, means you never will hit anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

would the fact that's he's not qualified to drive and his car is defective

be seen as contributory factors to tha accident at all??

Funny how you take the time to trawl through other posters comments, yet won't take the time to answer a simple question...

It took less than a minute.
    well?

Would it change the relevance of my views?

• Advertisement

Ever try the advanced search function? No trawling needed. If a poster tells the rest of us that he is perfect, then he should be perfect.
    well?

Im not a garda anyway. The fact is, people were lying in the middle of a motorway. Not very sensible if living is their preference.

I do keep that in mind but that very old post i used before has nothing to do with anything as i was always on the ball with such things happening and of which never hit anyone or had an accident for that matter.

fair enough it can happen but the main point is the garda should not have been on the bloody road with no licence or tax. how the hell could you not see 2 people rolling around in the middle of a motorway anyway unless you were either blind or driving with absolutely no lights on the car or on the road ? it's impossible not to have seen some movement up ahead. and don't give me sh1t as i am not the garda and I have not ever had an accident.

one thing i learned a long time ago as well hondasam is that when a wasp or bee enters your window while driving you just ignore it and pull over if safe to do so as a bloody sting is not going to kill you, maybe you would cause an accident from a wasp coming in your window but thats you not me. those insects don't faze me. :pac:

I do keep that in mind but that very old post i used before has nothing to do with anything as i was always on the ball with such things happening and of which never hit anyone or had an accident for that matter.

fair enough it can happen but the main point is the garda should not have been on the bloody road with no licence or tax. how the hell could you not see 2 people rolling around in the middle of a motorway anyway unless you were either blind or driving with absolutely no lights on the car or on the road ? it's impossible not to have seen some movement up ahead. and don't give me sh1t as i am not the garda and I have not ever had an accident.

one thing i learned a long time ago as well hondasam is that when a wasp or bee enters your window while driving you just ignore it and pull over if safe to do so as a bloody sting is not going to kill you, maybe you would cause an accident from a wasp coming in your window but thats you not me. those insects don't faze me. :pac:

You seem to believe you are accident proof. A danger in itself.

the reason i failed the test then was that i didn't brake hard skid stop as an emergency stop.

You sir are pulling at straws as this lame attempt to wrong me is incorrect as the reason i didn't brake hard in the emergency stop years ago was the fact that the emergency stop is not in the test in the republic, it is only used in northern ireland so you are wasting your time trying to insult my intelligence. if you looked at that very old thread you would have seen that this is the case as the mods even explained that the emergency stop is not used in the republic. :rolleyes: and the tester was from belfast so go figure

Still on that pedestal? I can only hope when you eventually get landed to earth you don't take any innocent victims with you.

wasp or bee sting is not going to kill you

Not everyone can say that.

And i dont know anyone that would drive as they were with a wasp after landing on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Quoting another poster from another thread below
    The car was coming down the sliproad that exits the city on the Raheen side going by reports, As such the car was travelling down a sliproad which does not run parallel with the motorway and it is a slip road were views to the left are obstructed until your car actually enters the motorway. The two men were meant to be rolling on the ground in this blindspot.

Have posted in the thread in AH on this same topic, but I live just a few miles from where the accident happened and drive that exact stretch of road pretty much on a daily basis. Coming from the Raheen side and entering that motorway using that sliproad would make it nigh on impossible for a car driver to see two men rolling on the ground until you were literally on top of them.

The car's headlights would not be facing the right direction until the car took the left hand turn at the end of the sliproad slope, so the car does not even get to face in the same direction as the motorway flow until it nakes the left turn at tyhe end. Also the view is blocked by the stone/earth slope, by the planted trees, and at the bottom by the crash barrier.

IMHO nobody had a chance in this accident. The guys who were rolling on the road had no chance or surviving, and the garda driving the car had no chance of spotting them until it was too late........ it is a stretch of road where a sliproad with a few blind spots enters the motorway, plus it is a stretch of road where there is a big bend on the motorway itself as you head past the flyover to the left of the sliproad exit.

Throw in the fact that it was at night and that there is no lighting at all on that stretch of motorway, and it becomes a the fatal mix it proved to be.

I reckon if this thread was Off Duty Paramedic/Nurse/Doctor/Teacher with no licence....... the posts would be a whole lot different.

You seem to believe you are accident proof. A danger in itself.

If it was a danger in itself then how come i always managed to avoid an accident from idiots running out or walking straight out in front of my car. if all you can do is pull up old posts and try to make yourself seem worthy then you are wasting everyones time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

It took less than a minute.

Would it change the relevance of my views?

good man, answer a question with a question:rolleyes:

Defo a Garda so.!

not change their relevance but maybe colour your perception a wee bit.

Do you think the fine he got is appropriate to the consequences of his actions?

• Advertisement

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Quoting another poster from another thread below

I reckon if this thread was Off Duty Paramedic/Nurse/Doctor/Teacher with no licence....... the posts would be a whole lot different.

Why would the post be a whole lot different if it was an Off Duty Paramedic/Nurse/Doctor/Teacher ?. driving without a licence and tax and 2 baldy tyres would make no difference if it was any of these people because it is illegal and down right dangerous and none of them should be on the road if this was the case with either of them.

If it was a danger in itself then how come i always managed to avoid an accident from idiots running out or walking straight out in front of my car. if all you can do is pull up old posts and try to make yourself seem worthy then you are wasting everyones time.

Everyone manages to avoid accidents until their first one.

What old posts have i pulled up?

What old posts have i pulled up?

Sorry. that was meant for MAGICSEAN. sorry about that. Got mixed up with all of his quotes.

You seem to think you are invincible. Because you avoided a couple of obstacles, you think you will never have an accident? It is a dangerous way of thinking in fairness.

I'm still fascinated about the lack of a radio. I asked about it up there ^^. You might have missed it as I messed up the name in the quote..

You seem to think you are invincible. Because you avoided a couple of obstacles, you think you will never have an accident? It is a dangerous way of thinking in fairness.

I'm still fascinated about the lack of a radio. I asked about it up there ^^. You might have missed it as I messed up the name in the quote..

Look we can all have accidents but being aware at all times can minimize this from happening and again I am not saying i'm invincible at all as i have never said that i was so i don't understand why you take this approach in you're comment. and making a whole new thread within a thread about me is nonsensical as we are talking about the garda in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Why would the post be a whole lot different if it was an Off Duty Paramedic/Nurse/Doctor/Teacher ?. driving without a licence and tax and 2 baldy tyres would make no difference if it was any of these people because it is illegal and dawn right dangerous and none of them should be on the road if this was the case with either of them.

Because as has been repeated ad nausem the fact that he had a lapsed licence, no tax plus as a result of a forenic report along with the location of the accident; the bald tyres on his car it was decided did not contribute to the deaths.

Repeated convictions for no tax, licence and bald tyres will yes, result in a ban. People let their licence lapse every week and only when they check do they realise, mine is due in 2013 or 2014; I can't be certain (they don't send out reminders) the tax issue is something that 100's of drivers are caught for every month. The bald tyres is more serious but again not a bannable issue if it was a once off, the €500 fine is at the higher end of the scale for what I presume is first offence of this kind for him.

By mentioning other professions, I was suggesting that posts might have along the line of ........ what the f**k were two people lying on the road and why did their 'friends' do a runner rather than waiting around to see if they were all right and God love the poor person who hit them, sure even with four good tyres they still wouldn't have stopped at that spot in time.

• Advertisement

good man, answer a question with a question:rolleyes:

Defo a Garda so.!

not change their relevance but maybe colour your perception a wee bit.

Do you think the fine he got is appropriate to the consequences of his actions?

The fines were more than most would get for the crimes he was charged with.

Look we can all have accidents but being aware at all times can minimize this from happening and again I am not saying i'm invincible at all as i have never said that i was so i don't understand why you take this approach in you're comment. and making a whole new thread within a thread about me is nonsensical as we are talking about the garda in question.

Sorry.. It turned to you when you more or less claimed that you pay attention one hundred per cent of the time, and the this wouldn't have happened if the person in question behaved more like you. You even tried to back up your comment by ridiculously saying that you don't use the radio in your car, which adds to your greatness. It just comes across as silly and that is why you got pulled up personally on it...

While it wasn't up to this court to come to conclusions on the bigger picture of the case, it was alluded that he could have done very little about what happened. It is so so so unfair to blame somebody who couldn't do anything about the situation he found himself in.

He shouldn't have been there in the first place, I agree. He shouldn't have been in that car. He has been punished for driving the car. However, those dopes shouldn't have been in the road, and he doesn't deserve to be punished for their stupid mistake, having paid for his own one.

You even tried to back up your comment by ridiculously saying that you don't use the radio in your car, which adds to your greatness. It just comes across as silly and that is why you got pulled up personally on it...

Honestly I do not understand people like you. number 1, I don't have a radio of any kind in my car and never did so i just don't understand why you have a problem believing this ?. when i purchased this car over (edit) 2 years ago it didn't have a radio in it and i never put one in because i hate listening to it when i am driving, i like quiet thats it and the truth as i have being saying so i don't give a ****e whether you believe it or not, you are giving me a bloody headache about this radio business. not everyone has a damn radio in their car ffs so copon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Because as has been repeated ad nausem the fact that he had a lapsed licence, no tax plus as a result of a forenic report along with the location of the accident; the bald tyres on his car it was decided did not contribute to the deaths.

Repeated convictions for no tax, licence and bald tyres will yes, result in a ban. People let their licence lapse every week and only when they check do they realise, mine is due in 2013 or 2014; I can't be certain (they don't send out reminders) the tax issue is something that 100's of drivers are caught for every month. The bald tyres is more serious but again not a bannable issue if it was a once off, the €500 fine is at the higher end of the scale for what I presume is first offence of this kind for him.

By mentioning other professions, I was suggesting that posts might have along the line of ........ what the f**k were two people lying on the road and why did their 'friends' do a runner rather than waiting around to see if they were all right and God love the poor person who hit them, sure even with four good tyres they still wouldn't have stopped at that spot in time.
    That was decided by whom? Oh yeah a fellow Garda! wholly impartially of course

lividduck wrote: »
    That was decided by whom? Oh yeah a fellow Garda! wholly impartially of course

The ombudsman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The ombudsman

Wholly impartial of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

hondasam wrote: »
    You don't know his financial situation so cannot say what he can afford. Young gardai are not well paid.
    I don't think a bank clerk would be fired if it was a first offence no. People don't just get fired because they made a mistake.

In fairness, the fact that he was a guard does have a significant baring on the case, it is not a bank clerks job to ensure people are licenced drivers or that their cars are roadworthy.

We have enough Guards that have a laissez faire attitute to the law is it is thanks very much, and this individuals attitude to the law that he supposedly upholds tipifies the 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude to accountability of many of those in authority in this country.

Guards are often the worst offenders when it comes to upholding the law. Several of the apartments where I rent are owned and rented out to students by Guards, when you look up the PTRB site to see who the landlord is if you want to complain about the anti-social behaviour of the tennents guess which apartments aren't registered?

Honestly I do not understand people like you. number 1, I don't have a radio of any kind in my car and never did so i just don't understand why you have a problem believing this ?. when i purchased this car over (edit) 2 years ago it didn't have a radio in it and i never put one in because i hate listening to it when i am driving, i like quiet thats it and the truth as i have being saying so i don't give a ****e whether you believe it or not, you are giving me a bloody headache about this radio business. not everyone has a damn radio in their car ffs so copon.

Sorry just didn't believe ya :o

nm wrote: »
    Wholly impartial of course

Well they do tend to go harder on Gardaí but I'm sure he'll still be cleared.
    conorhal wrote: »
    In fairness, the fact that he was a guard does have a significant baring on the case, it is not a bank clerks job to ensure people are licenced drivers or that their cars are roadworthy.

We have enough Guards that have a laissez faire attitute to the law is it is thanks very much, and this individuals attitude to the law that he supposedly upholds tipifies the 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude to accountability of many of those in authority in this country.

Guards are often the worst offenders when it comes to upholding the law. Several of the apartments where I rent are owned and rented out to students by Guards, when you look up the PTRB site to see who the landlord is if you want to complain about the anti-social behaviour of the tennents guess which apartments aren't registered?

Curious that you would need to look up the landlord if you already know who it is. Why not report him to the PRTB anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cookieincork

Funkstard wrote: »
    Hang on, he knocked the two people down but they were on the ground having a scuffle in the middle of the motorway at night (as you do) and the car ran over them. If I remember correctly the garda didn't even know what he'd hit as it was so dark - that stretch of the motorway has no lights. He is being fined for driving without a licence or insurance and isn't culpable for anything else that happened.

I totally agree...That poor fella has to deal with that tragic event, every single day for the rest of his life..Thats punishment enough i think..NOt to mind the fact that yes one would wonder what in the name of god were the two victims doing fighting at night in the middle of a pitch black motorway...
    It was and is awfully sad for the victims families...But Garda Clifford has his own sentence too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I read the thread from the start, it didnt say he had a lapsed licence, it said he had no licence (as in whatsoever, and thats how it appears with the information given, it may be vague/inaccurate, but it did not say his licence has lapsed)

I know what it is like to drive home after a night shift, you wouldnt be the most alert, what time do gardai do late/night shifts from? 7/11pm the previous night, none of us are perfect, but if my tyres were bald, no tax, no licence and I had been involved in an incident where two people died, Id expect to be dealt very seriously by the gardai and I dont think people would come on here or anywhere else to defend me or anyone else that did similar.
    The circumstances of why the other people/car left the scene is unusual/leaves something to be desired as to their activities, but its unrelated to a Garda not having a licence/tax/a vehicle in a roadworthy condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Curious that you would need to look up the landlord if you already know who it is. Why not report him to the PRTB anyway?

I didn't know him, I was chatting to a neighbour (one of those super nosey types that always knows what's going on in the place) who told me that the owner was a Garda sargent, I looked up the apartment on the PRTB site to see if I could get contact details for the owner to write a letter of complaint to about his tenents, but the property wasn't registered, so I just wrote to the management company instead.

I dunno if the world deserves a perfect man like you, you really are something else. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Merch wrote: »
    I read the thread from the start, it didnt say he had a lapsed licence, it said he had no licence (as in whatsoever, and thats how it appears with the information given, it may be vague/inaccurate, but it did not say his licence has lapsed)

I

A lapsed licence is no licence. It might have been lapsed for quite a time and it might have been considered unwise to draw attention tio that fact. He wouldn't have got insurance without having had a licence at some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

hondasam wrote: »
    I dunno if the world deserves a perfect man like you, you really are something else. :pac:
    Now I know we frequently disagree Hondasam but on this we are in total agreement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SaoirseErinAbu

Whatever about being 'responsible' for the death of two, which is between him and his maker, he ought to have had a 'severe'/adequate penalty imposed for the arrogance and audacity of abusing his position. True police follow the same and fair code of behaviour as us lowly and submissive public where and whenever possible. Wear the uniform of righteousness and fairness, not the one of arrogance and brutishness!

Advertisement