Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mouldy baby seat

Options
  • 19-04-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

not really a parenting issue as such but not sure where to put this query (mods feel free ot move!)

We have promised to lend our baby seat to a family member-it is one of those cloth ones on a wire surround from mamas and papas.

It had been in storage in our shed and i took it out to wash it however as the shed can be a bit damp there are now small mouldy spots on the fabric.

I have run it through the machine twice but no shift on that....any advice on how to get rid of this or should i just chuck out?

Please advise!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be afraid that the baby seat would be damaged from the mould and would dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

hiya, just to clarify it is on the material part of the seat which can be removed and put in washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I would use some bleach on the mould spots and even if they leave a stain it will kill the mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd bleach the whole cover and leave it soak to kill the mould. Rinse it thoroughly then use one of the washing machine dyes to re-colour it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You might be able to buy a new cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Soak it in Milton for a couple if days. It will take out the mould but won't damage the fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

Another thing you can try is to add vinegar to the wash - put around 2 cups in the drum and then you can add more to the fabric softener container. Do it on a hot wash to kill the spores. Then put on the rinse cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This happened me before I just took it out to the garden with a hose, scrubbed it, machine washed and bleached the cover and it was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

You can buy a spray stuff called Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover (or something like that anyway!) and its supposed to be the biz for removing mould stains!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

mamakitten wrote: »
    You can buy a spray stuff called Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover (or something like that anyway!) and its supposed to be the biz for removing mould stains!

thanks for all the replies! i tried the dettol stuff as thought is was the least time comsuming/easist(i am lazy) and it worked! all mould gone and seat washed and good to go to a new home! thanks!:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement