Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux sash - gap between sash & frame

• 19-04-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Noticed in a high ceiling velux that you can see light coming out of the bottom right corner, I'm sure its letting in a big draft too since its on the roof facing SW!!

The frame is tight to the sash on the left, with a big gap on the right.

I looked up Velux and online, where people say you can 'adjust' the gap, but without explaining how.

So....How??

Not an easy place to get to, its over a hall and you would need a ladder 2.5 storeys to get to it :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Noticed in a high ceiling velux that you can see light coming out of the bottom right corner, I'm sure its letting in a big draft too since its on the roof facing SW!!

The frame is tight to the sash on the left, with a big gap on the right.

I looked up Velux and online, where people say you can 'adjust' the gap, but without explaining how.

So....How??

Not an easy place to get to, its over a hall and you would need a ladder 2.5 storeys to get to it :(

Theres supposed to be a special liner/frame fitted to eliminate gaps and draughts.

There is with mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Think the frame needs adjusting alright. Not such an easy job. Damn, will get the quotes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

is there a hole in the flashing maybe? (this is the aluminium inserts that go on the outside of the roof under each slate/tile and sit in another flashing on the outer portion of the velux)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Think something has moved over the years and the frame isnt sitting correct with the sash now.

Got a crowbar and moved the sash in the frame till it was right and put in a packer to hold it in place.

No more air pouring in and the hallways is quieter and warmer.

If I open it, the packer will fall out, but we dont really open it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If the frame isn't square, there will be a gap, so maybe it would be better to jemmy and wedge the frame rather than the window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement