Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza hut - paid online, awful pizza, terrible service. Can I get the payment cancel?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hey all knowing and all wise consumer issues dwellers.

I have an issue. Other night I bought pizza from Pizza hut. I paid online with my laser card.

This is what I received:
    526142_10150803214167008_602002007_11418531_126484845_n.jpghttp:

Now, of course this wasnt good enough. I rang the store and told them. I hadnt checked if they were ok when the driver put them in my hands, only when going inside. The person on the phone said that I had checked it at the gate and it was fine. So that was the second issue. I was given only the option of a redelivery, as I had paid online and cuoldnt get an instant refund.

After waiting then for the second (over an hour and a half after original order), the replacements are here. I bring the originals down (not eaten) and show him, and then he gives me the replacements. I open them there, at the driver, and find these:
    380188_10150803291052008_602002007_11418837_1775700833_n.jpghttp:

Different pizzas, same condition. Youd think the pics above were of the same, but unfortunately were not. I said to the driver this was unacceptable, which he agreed. He said for me to keep them and he would talk to the person in the store, and I said ok, and for me to email the customer care people, which I did. They would just have been thrown out if they were returned, and this was an hour and a half after I had ordered, now nearly 11pm.

Heres where the fun starts. I want a refund, and customer service doesnt want to give it to me, insisting on a voucher. I dont want more of their shite pizza. Theyve been ignoring me now since Tuesday morning, even though ive sent 4 emails asking whats going on.

Just want to know how I can get the refund. Can I ask the bank to cancel the laser transaction or charge it back? Wish Id used the CC now.

Edit: I had this posted up on their Facebook wall too, as I wanted a response, on Monday (when it happened). They said to email them, and then removed my comment. Theyve removed other since. Not impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if you had used the credit card, it would not be an appropriate case for a chargeback.

The chargeback facility is for situations where you have paid for goods which have not been received or the contract has otherwise not been fulfilled.

In this case the contract was fulfilled, the dispute is over the quality of the goods delivered. To perform a chargeback would be fraudulent on your part.

I suspect the crappy look of the pizza is down to the weird crust - without the crust, there's no stability in the pizza. Your entitlement here is to a refund, as I would agree that the pizza doesn't live up to the definition of "merchantable quality".

All you can really do is keep chasing them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Yes I know why, but even so, these shouldnt go like it, it was the materials used in the making (the dough) that would have made it go like this.

Id rather them try chase me for the money and get the chargeback than me chasing them. The legality of that bit doesnt concern me, but I am wondering, is it possible to get a chargeback with a laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I may be incorrect. In general a chargeback can also be done if the quality of the goods are in dispute. Impossible to get a clear answer on whether a chargeback can be done on a Laser. Some say you can, some say you can't.

All you can do is contact your bank with the details.

Ah yeah, thats the bit im wondering, is if its possible. Ive never heard of it before.

Have to say that they are being as awkward as possible, why would I buy off them again taking this long refunding me... bad service!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

seamus wrote:
    I would agree that the pizza doesn't live up to the definition of "merchantable quality".
    Was it cooked and hot? If it was it's very easy for them to say it was of merchantable quality. It was still edible, it just didn't look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was the delivery person on a moped or in a car/van? if on a moped this was possibly caused by them stopping to deliver another pizza elsewhere on the way to you and just leaving their moped on its side on the ground , either that or they were thrown at the wall or let fall?

Moped, both times, but doesnt matter; it could have been done in the shop, or on the way, or whatever; I just know I did not do it. Therefore do not want to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They aren't pizza's they are some sort of tart! What's going on with the crusts?

It does appear that the pizzas have been badly transported and possibly at an angle. It's pretty poor quality - I don't think any pizza company would like to see these being representative of their product.

Not sure if you'll get a charge back on a food delivery though.

Did you eat them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I work in a pizza place, and from what I know (I make the pizzas in work), the stuffed crust on that has nothing to do with the bad shape. Firstly, there is not enough cheese, which strangely enough holds the dough together when cooked. The main issue with those is the transportation used. When badly transported (such as on a moped, not fully secured in the transportation box, turning corners on said moped), that's what happens. You should be entitled to your money back or a voucher. Thing is, as they've offered a voucher, and you DID eat the pizza in the end, you're unlikely to get anything more than a voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If you ever have a problem with take away food the first thing to do is GIVE IT BACK!

The shop staff/manager will be asking questions when your food comes back as you will then be entitled to a full refund.

The best Tip is always pay cash so that you can refuse the delivery and tell them to fcuk off if the food is not up to standard and you wont have to fight for a refund!

• Advertisement

sorry foggy but thats not very good advice... if they have an online function, it should be just as good and subject to the same ramifications as if I was paying in cash. I was hungry enough at this stage and the driver agreed.

So this can actually be closed by the seems of it.

They have since messaged me (this morning) and stated that they are going to refund the pizza. Which they should of course, but now I have that in writing. Seems best to do is take pics and plaster it on their Facebook wall in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wouldn't order from there again to be honest, refund or not.

Firstly, the quality is pretty poor. Secondly, the driver likely got a bollicking and he will remember that. It's not pleasant but I wouldn't risk him depositing some bodily fluids into one the next time you order. It happens all the time, I've seen it first hand.

There are some disgusting people out there and is one of the reason I never return food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Africa wrote: »
    sorry foggy but thats not very good advice... if they have an online function, it should be just as good and subject to the same ramifications as if I was paying in cash. I was hungry enough at this stage and the driver agreed.

I have to agree with this. It's not realistic to fully check every delivery before you pay the guy, and paying by cash will actually limit your options going forward as you can't do a charge-back.

Anyway, this is done now but I actually wouldn't see you as entitled to a refund given that you took and ate the food. An apology and a voucher would be more than adequate to my mind. Not that there's anything wrong with a refund, but you really shouldn't have accepted the food if that's what you intended to demand. I'm not talking legally here, just what I see as being fair.

ive never gotten a take away pizza only chinese and chipper if i want pizza i buy goodfella after seeing that ill never will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Chargeback is not possible on Laser, the reason being that Laser purchases are treated the exact same way as cash.

So basically, the only way you'll get the money is if they do what they'd do with cash, i.e. bring it to your door (or lodge to bank account etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Chargeback is not possible on Laser, the reason being that Laser purchases are treated the exact same way as cash.

So basically, the only way you'll get the money is if they do what they'd do with cash, i.e. bring it to your door (or lodge to bank account etc).

Its not a chargeback? It can be processed as a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

There are credible reports of people doing charge-backs on laser transactions, but let's assume that you can't. However, you can definately get a merchant directed refund, so you're incorrect there.

That just means you should use a credit card instead of a laser card though, which is generally good advice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Legally they cannot offer a voucher, they can offer replacment, refund or repair, never a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

GarIT wrote: »
    Legally they cannot offer a voucher, they can offer replacment, refund or repair, never a voucher.

Legally they can, they can offer whatever they like, even a year's supply of jelly beans if that's acceptable to the customer. It's just that replacement, refund or repair are the 3 legally enforceable forms of redress and must be offered, but it doesn't exclude other offers that satisfy the customer.

They can't offer only a voucher and nothing else, but they can offer the choice between one of the 3 Rs or a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Legally they can, they can offer whatever they like, even a year's supply of jelly beans if that's acceptable to the customer. It's just that replacement, refund or repair are the 3 legally enforceable forms of redress and must be offered, but it doesn't exclude other offers that satisfy the customer.

They can't offer only a voucher and nothing else, but they can offer the choice between one of the 3 Rs or a voucher.

Yeah i worded that badly, they can't give it if the customer doesn't want it. And they have to give one of the three Rs if the customer wants that.

• Advertisement

Right well, update! I got refunded!

Tips for you in future; insist on refund, ignore their voucher offer, and plaster it on Facebook and on their Facebook pages, and tweet them with pics. So not worth it for them to have this all online. But this will stay for now to let those it happens to in future help get a refund.

As for the should have returned it all; I would have been very hungry an hour and a half after I ordered it and wouldnt have actually let them take it all again, as I would be an hour and half out of pocket + ordering from somewhere else. So it all worked out fine. In future, I wont buy from them again, but I am pleased that their customer service saw my points and refunded it.

Advertisement