Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iBook G3 connecting to wireless issue

Options
  • 19-04-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I'm having difficulty connecting to a wireless network with my iBook G3 (running OSX 10.4.11).

I can connect to the net when wired through ethernet, but when I click on either my home broadband router, or wifi hotspot through my iPhone 4, it won't connect.

It says I'm entering the incorrect password for my home broadband (I'm definitely not, it's 100% correct).

And when attempting to join through my personal hotspot through my iphone 4, it says: "There was an error joining the AirPort network "Col200sx's iPhone"

It has an Airport card fitted.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Col200sx wrote: »
    I'm having difficulty connecting to a wireless network with my iBook G3 (running OSX 10.4.11).

I can connect to the net when wired through ethernet, but when I click on either my home broadband router, or wifi hotspot through my iPhone 4, it won't connect.

It says I'm entering the incorrect password for my home broadband (I'm definitely not, it's 100% correct).

And when attempting to join through my personal hotspot through my iphone 4, it says: "There was an error joining the AirPort network "Col200sx's iPhone"

It has an Airport card fitted.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

If I were you, I'd remove the connection settings on the iBook completely.
    Restart.
    Set up the connection again from fresh.
    If it still won't connect, play with the WEP/WPA settings, even turning off completely if necessary to see if they all work.

TBH, I'm really getting fed up of Wireless and Bluetooth from Apple. For a tech company they can't seem to get the basics right. I know the reason why they cripple their implementation of BT, but trying to connect an iPad/iPhone or iPhone/iPhone is torture that the Maquis de Sade could only dream of inflicting. And don't get me started on WiFi....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As far as I know the old iBook G3 only supported 802.11 b (11mbps) which was protected by WEP encryption. It wasn't until the iBook G4 did we get 802.11 b/g (11/54 mbps) which had support for WPA. Just about every Wireless Router and computer these days defaults to WPA security due to the weaknesses in WEP and it's susceptibility to cracking of the keys.

My guess is that your router is set to WPA/WPA2 which the iBook can't handle. You have 2 options in order to use wifi in this situation, either set your router to WEP encryption (not recommended) or buy a USB wifi dongle that is Mac compatible and supports WPA.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Sorry for the delayed reply, and thanks for the help :)

I've not been able to do much with it, as I've come to the conclusion that my wireless router is not working.

So hopefully this is the issue, I'll be getting a loan of one soon so it should work after.

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you understand my last post ? Your G3 only supports WEP which is no longer the default scheme on new routers - WPA2 being preferred - so getting another router probably will not fix this issue. What makes you think your router is at fault ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

ZENER wrote: »
    Did you understand my last post ? Your G3 only supports WEP which is no longer the default scheme on new routers - WPA2 being preferred - so getting another router probably will not fix this issue. What makes you think your router is at fault ?

Ken

Well the good news is I'm replying here from my iBook through wireless :)

I borrowed a friends one and it works fine.

I think UPC shut down my router, that's why i suspected it. (I bought it cheap online to try it out, got couple of months out of it, then it stopped broadcasting a signal all of a sudden as I got friends trying to log into it and it wouldn't work).

• Advertisement
Advertisement