Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

soldering electronic kits

• 19-04-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where to get soldering electronic kits relatively cheep. maplins have a few but no many

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bpb101 wrote: »
    Anybody know where to get soldering electronic kits relatively cheep. maplins have a few but no many

They used to be around a lot but I see them only now in small numbers at Smiths Toy stores occasionally.
    Checked their site (toys.ie) and so far have found none.

I suspect Ebay or a google search will be your only eventual recourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ebay is definitely the way to go, you can pick up a kit for a tenner that will do you for basic soldering, they'll charge you around 30 quid for one in Maplins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Ebay is definitely the way to go, you can pick up a kit for a tenner that will do you for basic soldering, they'll charge you around 30 quid for one in Maplins.
    +1. Maplin is good to have but they are astronomically expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, are you asking about a kit of tools, e.g. iron,solder,stand etc, or a kit of electronic parts to solder together. I'd agree with the earlier poster about ebay if you want to buy a cheap iron, prob find one less than a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Buy a cheap soldering iron and you will regret it, wreck your soldering job, melt your parts and burn your hands to f*ck.

Buy a gas powered iron for 30 in Maplins, I did and have never looked back, the difference between a cheap electric one and a gas powered iron is the same as the difference between a childs electric buggy and a ferrari.

Take my advice, spend the extra few bob on a gas powered iron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Did you try After Hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

+1. Never skimp on a soldering iron, it'll take forever to heat up, forever to melt solder, and when transferring that heat to the board it'll go cold while you're soldering forcing you to keep the iron on for longer and possibly destroying any ICs or Transistors you're soldering. Spend the money on a good brand like Antex, and buy the highest wattage you can afford. It's a tool for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I'll pm you a link where you can download one free.

Go for a nice portable gas one would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I was going to recommend Peats

No point now:mad:

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »

Same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you looking for a gas or electronic one?

I would imagine that he's looking for one of those "build your own neutron bomb" type kits, where you get a bit of practice with a soldering iron before posting the finished article to someone.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I would imagine that he's looking for one of those "build your own neutron bomb" type kits, where you get a bit of practice with a soldering iron before posting the finished article to someone.
    If Anders Breivik trained himself playing COD can you imagine what this guy is up to:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

argos sell irons for about 12e

its probably not great, but itl do fine to repair headphones or something basic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

There's Solders R Us, they're on Third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I suppose you could almost say, does anybody know where to get a soldering electronic kit...

I suppose you could almost say, does anybody know where to get a soldering electronic kit...
    whoops:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fixing stuff is so 1970's. Just buy an new thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

im looking for kits , where you get all the componentsin the kit , eg 5 resistors and 3 leds and the circuit boards ect and you solider them in, hobby kits . i dont really know the name for them
    have a reasonably good solider

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Sparks43 wrote: »

I never saw an iron that ran on peat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

im looking for kits , where you get all the componentsin the kit , eg 5 resistors and 3 leds and the circuit boards ect and you solider them in, hobby kits . i dont really know the name for them

I'm not sure what you're looking to do with it, a present perhaps, but for those sort of starter kits a breadboard would be more conventional as you will definitely make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

What kind of kits OP? The net is awash with them.... or do you just like soldering????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Satts wrote: »
    I never saw an iron that ran on peat.

Iroda are coming out with one. You screw off the end and fill it with ground up turf

You want one as well, it must be an epidemic?

I can see a trail of 'Blue Peter' style threads starting!!!!!

eth0 wrote: »
    Iroda are coming out with one. You screw off the end and fill it with ground up turf

Can't see it taking off if the Fine Galers get their way

Domo230 wrote: »
    Seeing as how people are asking for stuff.

Im looking for 1/4 inch plywood (either pine or birch)

Anyone know where I can get this in Dublin. Just tried Woodies to no avail :(

B+Q ?

Domo230 wrote: »
    Seeing as how people are asking for stuff.

Im looking for 1/4 inch plywood (either pine or birch)

Anyone know where I can get this in Dublin. Just tried Woodies to no avail :(

www.woodworkers.ie have birch...... and sticky tape too.....

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get enough electrical power to revive a corpse that I accidentally found?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Anyone know where I can get enough electrical power to revive a corpse that I accidentally found?

You'll have to solder the wires on first. Worry about the power later

Dude... you need lime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Check out this company

They are in Cork

www.chip.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Its not clear what you want to do here - Do you want to learn to solder? Or, do you want to build some electronic projects?

If you want to learn to solder, I'd recommend a 25W electric iron which you can pick up at Maplin, Woodies, etc.

If you want to experiment with electronics, then a breadboiard is definitely better because you can fix mistakes easily & you can also re-use components easily as well.

If you want to built a permanent electronic gadget, then you'll need to solder. Maplins are relatively expensive, but for small projects they are convenient & the cost difference is only a few euro.

If you are getting a soldering iron, then you'll need (probably) a solder sucker (spring-loaded vacuum tool for removing solder) as well.

All available from Maplins, or online.

-FoxT

eth0 wrote: »
    You'll have to solder the wires on first. Worry about the power later

Right, I've tried soldering the wires on but solder doesn't seem to stick to rotting flesh, so I stapled them to the earlobes. Now where's the power Einstein, I've got a date with destiny, or alternatively with this three-titted woman I've knocked together, depending on how it pans out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Right, I've tried soldering the wires on but solder doesn't seem to stick to rotting flesh, so I stapled them to the earlobes. Now where's the power Einstein, I've got a date with destiny, or alternatively with this three-titted woman I've knocked together, depending on how it pans out?

Now all you have to do is chuck all the plywood into the wood fired turbine, simple!

Out of curiosity, I was given this iron http://www.maplin.co.uk/30w-soldering-iron-32909

by a mate of mine, and he's barely used it. Would I be better off getting one of the Antex irons for around 20 quid on ebay, or would this do me for soldering resistors and capacitors, and a few cables?

Out of curiosity, I was given this iron http://www.maplin.co.uk/30w-soldering-iron-32909

by a mate of mine, and he's barely used it. Would I be better off getting one of the Antex irons for around 20 quid on ebay, or would this do me for soldering resistors and capacitors, and a few cables?

I can't see how big the tip is, if it's cone shaped or if you're going to need to desolder stuff as well.

The ''tip'' is the head of the soldering iron. If it has a little head it can be used more easily soldering for axial components.

As a general rule everyone needs a little head somtimes. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

earpiece wrote: »
    Dude... you need lime.

And a shovel. :D

I can't see how big the tip is, if it's cone shaped or if you're going to need to desolder stuff as well.

The ''tip'' is the head of the soldering iron. If it has a little head it can be used more easily soldering for axial components.

As a general rule everyone needs a little head somtimes. lol

It's a fairly skinny tip on it, like a cone. I'll be desoldering more than likely yeah.

• Advertisement

It's a fairly skinny tip on it, like a cone. I'll be desoldering more than likely yeah.

Grand. Just beware older circuits were made with lead solder. Newer (10 years) ones are lead free.

Desoldering is a pain in the buttocks. Best to heat the joint. Unclamp the component, pull the leg through the hole and then desolder the hole.

Replace with new component and then resolder into place. Replace like for like. Google colour code charts or capacitor types.

Some caps are polarised and will explode if they're put in backwards.

Advertisement