Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing, Process and Automation Systems UCC

Options
  • 19-04-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone, I'm currently in my final year of civil engineering and i'm thinking of applying for the masters in Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing, Process and Automation Systems in UCC. I'm just wondering has anyone done it and what are the job opportunities like.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eimear811

I've heard you need good knees to be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

I graduated in November.

Its focused on Non destructive testing, CAD/CAM, vision systems, plc's and some of the energy modules from the Civil/environmental side. I'd say it would be better for someone looking to get into a manufacturing/design area than for a Civil grad. Most manufacturing jobs are in Medical Devices as well.

Job prospects are pretty poor at the moment. Me and one other guy out of a class of seven are the only ones employed. I'm a tool design engineer if thats something that would interest you.

Also, expect regular all nighters and being locked away for pretty much the whole year. The material isn't hugely difficult but the volume of it is unbelievable. at one stage, no exaggeration we had 31 assignements due in a four week period.

Any questions you have pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jpmca89

I graduated in November.

Its focused on Non destructive testing, CAD/CAM, vision systems, plc's and some of the energy modules from the Civil/environmental side. I'd say it would be better for someone looking to get into a manufacturing/design area than for a Civil grad. Most manufacturing jobs are in Medical Devices as well.

Job prospects are pretty poor at the moment. Me and one other guy out of a class of seven are the only ones employed. I'm a tool design engineer if thats something that would interest you.

Also, expect regular all nighters and being locked away for pretty much the whole year. The material isn't hugely difficult but the volume of it is unbelievable. at one stage, no exaggeration we had 31 assignements due in a four week period.

Any questions you have pm me.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I'm just looking at the different options available to me at the moment because of the lack of opportunities with civil but that sounds pretty tough alright. I'll probably through it down as a choice anyway just to have it.

Advertisement