Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem at Work, Need some advice?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I will try to keep this as short as possible..

Have been working for the last 10years as a helper on a truck delivering goods to shops, bars, rests etc from 1am - 8am apx (Mon/Wed/Fri) and 2am - 7.30am (Tues/Thurs/Sat)..

When I first started my job, There was no mention of hourly pay, But I was paid 350euro for 5 nights (Worked on average 5-7 hours per night), Two years later I got a rise of 25euro per week after tax, Subsequently I took on the Saturday night work (65euro) and have worked six nights a week ever since.. Important to mention at this point that if I finished earlier or later than normal on any day, My wages would be the same..

Recently though (8 weeks ago) due to loss of some business my boss reduced my wages by 40 euro per week, Which hit me hard financially but I accepted it because he had lost some business through the recession, Since then though he has taken one of his trucks off the road, And has put another 25 drops onto my truck (Plus more to come), Which basically has put much more work onto my truck than I ever had.. (2-3hrs per day apx)

When I asked my boss about increasing my wages, He replied that business was bad?

Which leaves me in a bad position, This week alone I will have worked 52hrs with no breaks, Its all go from the time we start work till we finish, And its starting to take a toll, Feeling tired all the time and my body is aching, Probably also due to the fact that three days a week, I have to take care of my 18month old baby as my wife works part-time just to cover our bills, On those days I get about 6hrs of broken sleep(3+3hrs), Which is about to get worse with our second child due in 10 weeks time..

I do not have a written contract, I have never received a pay slip or statement of pay ever, Only a P60 at the end of the year and most of the time have to ask for it... I know its my right to have a pay slip but the last time I asked (For loan purposes) was given the run around and told that because he employed under 8 staff he did not have to supply one? Which I know is rubbish but never followed it up to be honest... Really need some advice like...

Should I be getting extra money for working as a night worker? Unsocial premium rate? Cant seem to get any proper information?

Have I got any rights with regards to my minimum hourly pay as it was not mentioned when I first took on the job?

And if so, Can he cut my money by so much? And then proceed to give me an extra 2-3hrs work per day?

By now I would actually be better off financially on the social welfare when you include the rent allowance etc.. But obviously if I quit my job now I would not be entitled to anything... I really am pulling out my hair at this stage and struggling to cover my bills..

Thanks in advance for any advice given, And for taking the time to read this, Thanks, Ally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Yes you were entitled to a contract and should have received one within two months of joining

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html

Employers have cut persons wages however this comes usually in writing as it is a change from the original terms & conditions of your contract (which you didn't get) and you agree to accept it you don't as far I know have to agree to it

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/being_asked_to_reduce_your_hours_of_work.html

Give citizen advice a ring its a free service and informative

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also every employee is entitled to a payslip under the payment of wages act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

might be worth noting that you're also entitled to breaks, pretty sure its 30 minutes for ever 4 hours worked or something like that.

as mentioned payslips are suppose to be given by law, its your proof that you pay taxes etc and as you said proof of income should you look for a loan etc

minimum wage in Ireland is €8.65 per hour, this hsould not include unsocial hours premium if you are entitled to it. ie 8.65 + any premiums

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Give this crowd a call too, National Employment Rights Authority.

To contact NERA click here or Lo-call 1890 80 80 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

In relation to having extra work and reduced wages I hate to say it but everyone is suffering with having to do the same, it is not right as some employers are taking the p*ss but it seems to be the culture at this moment in time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Allybabba22

This post has been deleted.

I get my 4wks paid holidays, Bank holidays etc..

I get a P60 with all my tax deductions at the end of the year, I believe its probably the only reason why he cannot get rid of us, The other truck where the extra work came from had two Polish lads working on it who where not paying tax and got paid into the hand every week, He just let them go with no notice, And I am sure he would have got rid of us both first (Btw the driver who I work with is in the same boat as me) because he paid them much less than us, And they both worked on bank holidays and no paid holidays etc..

Also I had to provide him with my P45 when I started my job, And from day one my money was paid into my account, I know for sure I am definitely paying tax.

At the moment I am just gathering all the information I can get, Myself and the Driver are going into the CIB on monday together and will also get in contact with Nera to see where we stand.

I already know about the 48hrs maximum (night workers) and 90hrs in a two week period for the Driver, But what we fear the most is that when we bring the subject up on payslips, Hours worked and contracts etc..

Could he just say your both on the minimum wage? Cut our hours down to the maximum?

Even though I was earning around 13euro an hour after my last reduction and the Driver around 18euro an hour? If so my pay would be even less than it is now, I make it 454.02 before any reductions?

If that where to happen I would be even worse off than I am now, And would have no chance of covering my bills and supporting my family, Really worried!!

PS: Thanks again to everyone for all the advise, Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Allybabba22

edellc wrote: »
    In relation to having extra work and reduced wages I hate to say it but everyone is suffering with having to do the same, it is not right as some employers are taking the p*ss but it seems to be the culture at this moment in time :(

I understand that and accepted when he cut my wages, I would have accepted some extra work too, But this is excessive, This morning I started at 1am and did not stop working until 9.30am (The Driver did not finish until nearly 12pm as we take turns loading the truck), No even chance of a break because if we stop for 15-30mins, It would cost us an hour or two later in the morning due to it being in all around the city centre..

You might think...I should start earlier and get a break? Nope, Cannot do that either as the stuff would just go walking, Its a joke, Honestly!!

Advertisement