Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Log Book - Is Tractor Insured

• 19-04-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello, long time reader, first time poster on this forum, as heading suggests I am looking at buying a tractor from a fella privately, he has no log book for the tractor as it has got "lost". The tractor is an 06 Landini and is in great condition and the money is not bad but I have alarm bells ringing in my head now about this log book.

Is the tractor insured if i dont have the log book? Is this not the equivalent of a cars log book and would contain VIN/Chassis number?

Also if the tractor was damaged before and fixed but may have been wrote off by an insurance company would that mean that if i purchased this tractor and insured it the insurance would be void and perhaps this is the reason the log book is missing?

Any opinions would be helpful thanks as I am new to this area and am just wondering what are the insurance implications

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Have him get a duplicate from local tax office. If it has an 06 plate, then it was registered.

You should also be careful if buying privately, that it is not a stolen vehicle and that there is no HP/finance outstanding. A search with HPI will confirm this for you for a small fee.

If it was previously written off by an insurer, then in order to get it insured again, you will need an assessors report, at your expense, not just a mechanic/garage report on its roadworthiness. You should also be aware that a previously written off vehicle is NEVER worth as much as an undamaged vehicle and if you are given AD/F&T cover, bear that in mind when putting a value on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ravima wrote: »
    Have him get a duplicate from local tax office. If it has an 06 plate, then it was registered.

You should also be careful if buying privately, that it is not a stolen vehicle and that there is no HP/finance outstanding. A search with HPI will confirm this for you for a small fee.

If it was previously written off by an insurer, then in order to get it insured again, you will need an assessors report, at your expense, not just a mechanic/garage report on its roadworthiness. You should also be aware that a previously written off vehicle is NEVER worth as much as an undamaged vehicle and if you are given AD/F&T cover, bear that in mind when putting a value on it.

+ 1000

Advertisement