Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B

Options
  • 19-04-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I don't know if this is a consumer issue or something worse.

To cut a long story short I have this friend from abroad who I've known for 5-7 years. She planned on visiting Dublin. Being a nice person (and a bit of an idiot) I found a b&b for her to stay in. I arranged everything, but she agreed to pay. When the time came to confirm the booking, she didn't have a credit card so I gave my debit card details.

She never showed up on Sunday. I rang her immediately and she informed me she had been in an accident in London on her way to Dublin. She said she hoped to come over by Wednesday and asked if I could inform the b&b. I rang the b&b and told the guy she hoped to be over by Wednesday and to not charge my card as she would pay. I have been unable to contact her since then and she never showed up on Wednesday. I presume the guy in the B+B is well p!ssed off. I am afraid to contact him because I am going to be hit with a rather large bill in addition to being heartbroken.

I did everything in good faith, presuming I knew her rather well. Clearly I was wrong.

Do I have to pay? Is there a legal way to sort this? Should I call him and what should I say?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The contract for service would seem to be between you as the person who booked the room and the b&b owner. Unfortunately you may have to take the hit and put this down to experience. You can do without this type of friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Live/work in a B&B myself. In the event of a no show, we are entitled to charge the full amount for the stay.

However, we don't usually do this, exceptions being for no show's/cancellations on nights that there was a heavy demand for. Demand at this time of the year not the highest though.

I'd ring the B&B and explain the situation, there's nothing more annoying than when we get a no-show and not even hearing from the guest. Often we end up waiting all day for someone to come who never shows up- quite frustrating!

You may have been charged already. Another reason you might be better off ringing the B&B, just to clarify whether they have done this or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Is she hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

is that relevent??
    obviously if she was,would the op be putting her up in a b&b?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pkiernan If you can't stay on topic, then please don't post.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

davo10 wrote: »
    The contract for service would seem to be between you as the person who booked the room and the b&b owner. Unfortunately you may have to take the hit and put this down to experience. You can do without this type of friend.

That is what I thought.
    jordainius wrote: »
    Live/work in a B&B myself. In the event of a no show, we are entitled to charge the full amount for the stay.

However, we don't usually do this, exceptions being for no show's/cancellations on nights that there was a heavy demand for. Demand at this time of the year not the highest though.

I'd ring the B&B and explain the situation, there's nothing more annoying than when we get a no-show and not even hearing from the guest. Often we end up waiting all day for someone to come who never shows up- quite frustrating!

You may have been charged already. Another reason you might be better off ringing the B&B, just to clarify whether they have done this or not.

I did ring the B&B and explain to them. The owner was not to happy, but he was understanding. He is allowing me to pay for one night only, instead of paying for the whole week, which is a huge relief. Thanks for the helpful information.

Advertisement