Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a dog off a new lawn

• 19-04-2012 7:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

Keeping a dog off a new lawn
    is it possible? i have a temporary fence up while the lawn takes but i'm told that dog pee kills grass completely and after all the effort of sowing a new lawn i really dont want it all undone by my dog, much as i love him.

is there a method or a product that'll keep him away from it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Could you keep him inside and outside when on the lead only?
    That would be the easiest in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In an ideal world. he's got serious stage fright about pooin in public god bless him :) spose i'll just have to train him for outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've seen this done by Victoria Stilwell a couple of times.
    Step 1) Fence off a little area where the dog can go to the toilet.
    Step 2) Bring the dog there on lead. Wait for him to wee or poo
    Step 3) Praise and treat
    Step 4) Repeat. Over and over and over.

If he wees or poos outside of his area he gets nothing. He'll soon learn that going behind the fence = lots of praise and treats and going anywhere else = nothing. Soon he should take himself off to his section to go to the loo. You can get things called pee posts which are impregnated with an ammonia smell which attracts dogs to wee on it. Stick it in the ground where you want him to go and it'll encourage him.

Advertisement