Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best things about living in the States?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

For me, its the 24/7 sports over here. Mostly Football but i love watching the NHL and NBA playoffs also.

The weather also. In the Northeast, we get 4 proper seasons....unlike the one season back home aka the rainy season.

Yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Property prices. We bought our 4 bedroom home with large yard for 1/3 of the price of our one bed flat in Dublin.
    Family friendlyness, very important when you have three little ones, though it comes tied up in evangelical christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are houses much cheaper than here in Ireland

Hazys wrote: »
    For me, its the 24/7 sports over here. Mostly Football but i love watching the NHL and NBA playoffs also.
    The weather also. In the Northeast, we get 4 proper seasons....unlike the one season back home aka the rainy season.

Yours?

This is one of the reasons I really want to move over to the states. I really got to move over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

cena wrote: »

Completely depends, America is huge so it has many different housing markets....Boston is more expensive than Dublin, but you can buy a house in Detriot for $200. There are also 1 acre lots of land in New Mexico which you can buy on Ebay for pennies.
    This is one of the reasons I really want to move over to the states. I really got to move over there.

I think there are only on average 4 days out of 365 where there is no major sport game being played (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL). If you are stuck for anything to watch when you come home for work, there is always a game on...not to mention about 5/6 different 24/7 sports channels.

Hazys wrote: »
    Completely depends, America is huge so it has many different housing markets....Boston is more expensive than Dublin, but you can buy a house in Detriot for $200. There are also 1 acre lots of land in New Mexico which you can buy on Ebay for pennies.

What condition would the houses be for that price. Its more new york brooklyn I would be looking at. To be near the family I have over there.

I think there are only on average 4 days out of 365 where there is no major sport game being played (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL). If you are stuck for anything to watch when you come home for work, there is always a game on...not to mention about 5/6 different 24/7 sports channels.

I Just love the nfl and nhl. I do watch the nba and mlb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

They are doer-uppers, once you kick the crack heads out:

http://www.businessinsider.com/houses-for-1-dollar-2010-12

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

We are hoping to move to the states later this yr. I cannot wait. I just lvoe the freedom in the US, my hubby has a job lined up and hopefully I will get something. Fingers crossed. Want to work in office work so hopefully that will happen easily.

Everything is so much more accessible there. I cant wait to have everything on our doorsteps rather than travelling an hour to get to the cinema!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Everything is so much more accessible there. I cant wait to have everything on our doorsteps rather than travelling an hour to get to the cinema!!

Well, that depends a LOT on where you are... I have friends who are 30 mins from the nearest grocery store, way more than that from a cinema or hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

We are moving to a city so that wont be a probs for us! I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I lived in the US when I was in my mid to late twenties, making lots of money and had no commitments like family of mortgage

I loved the availability of consumer goods.

If at 8pm on a Tuesday evening you decided you needed a new laptop you could just head down to Best Buy at get one.
    I found you got good value for money in America.

I am not sure I would love it as much now though.
    I would most likely be living in the suburbs with a mortgage and 20mins from the nearest shop.
    That's why I moved home.

There are only two days in the year by the way without one of NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB on
    They are the days before and after the MLB All Star Game in mid July.

• Advertisement

So jealous of all ye that are living or have lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I love the variety here, so many different things to try, so many different things to choose from in the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

I feel the cost of living is alot more affordable..price of clothes etc. is a fraction of what you'd pay back in Ireland..same for food!!

Also love how gullible some american's are and the craic you can have with them..Once told an american that I dug up a potato so big I had to roll it home!!:D of course she believed me

Also gonna miss how easy it is to pull here aswell with the brogue!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The diversity of the place (in the cities anyway). When I lived in New York I used to love wandering from a Spanish speaking Dominican district full of mom and pop delis into a Jewish area full of bagel shops and on into a university area full of college bars etc. All in the space of a 20-30 minute walks.

I'm moving to San Francisco for a short term work contract in a month or so and can't wait to start exploring a new city again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Delicious, quality but cheap food! I ate so well over there! I never understood why in movies/TV New Yorkers were always eating out but it's just so cheap, and the apartments are too small for the smell of cooking :p It all made sense!

Following that, the delis. My nearest was UNREAL. Just wow. Two days lunch or your dinner out of one wrap from that place!

$20 manicure-pedicures, amazing. Go in, pick your colour, no chit chat, job done. Here just a manicure is €30+ along with the "going anywhere nice on holiday" etc.

Commission based retail, a great way to earn extra money. At times I was doubling my basic wage with commission. Haven't seen it too much here, or it's conditional, like you only earn % after hitting a weekly target.

Super nice people, they really are. I lived on Avenue C, or Loisaida, in New York and it was a real community culture with all the gardens in the area. Even the construction workers next door would say hello to me every morning!

Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

We're looking around for a house right now near cincinnati......on average you can get a 4 bed/2 bath with attached garage in the 120-150k range. so less that 100000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The space.

There's so much free space in the USA that they dont need the myriad of regulations that are needed back home to control what people do with it.

So often in Ireland the answer to many questions is "no, you cant do that...", while in the US its "Sure, give it a go..."

Also the scenery. I used to think the west of ireland was remote and wild. LOL.

But before I sound too paved-in-gold, there's a lot of negatives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The beautiful women, who are not all 5.4
    plus they have nice smiles,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

The beautiful women, who are not all 5.4
    plus they have nice smiles,

They also happen to ignore you unless your successful (or so I can tell from the movies I've watched:D) birds here in Ireland are easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The space.

There's so much free space in the USA that they dont need the myriad of regulations that are needed back home to control what people do with it.

So often in Ireland the answer to many questions is "no, you cant do that...", while in the US its "Sure, give it a go..."

In the Sunbelt it's like this definately (big problems with sustainability there though, local municipalities won't provide water to new developments in Phoenix for example). The "old" Eastern cities are a lot stricter on development and zoning control.
    They also happen to ignore you unless your successful (or so I can tell from the movies I've watched:D) birds here in Ireland are easier

Nah, definately not true. I found American women (actually Americans as a whole) to generally be a whole lot friendlier and more open to 'dating' than Irish people. The Irish accent is also generally loved nearly everywhere. I'd find it hard to believe any Irish man would find it difficult to find American women who are interested unless he's seriously boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You can strike up a conversation with anyone and it's considered the norm whereas back in Ireland people get a bit freaked out by talking to strangers when they are sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Right on red! I can't live without it.

Right on red! I can't live without it.

:o

I've done it a few times in Ireland...just out of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hot Puerto Rican women

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Left on red would make sense, right on red would be dangerous! haha
    It's a good rule and there's already a set of traffic lights in Galway that uses it (along the Tuam road near Calibro motors factory)

Caliden wrote: »
    Left on red would make sense, right on red would be dangerous! haha
    It's a good rule and there's already a set of traffic lights in Galway that uses it (along the Tuam road near Calibro motors factory)

ha ha ha!

you're right... i mean the way it works reversed(?) when ones back home...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Almost did it a few times myself when I was back in 2010, everyone else in the car started freaking out asking what I was doing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Twee. wrote: »
    Delicious, quality but cheap food! I ate so well over there! I never understood why in movies/TV New Yorkers were always eating out but it's just so cheap,

100% agree. The cost of eating out there compared to here is next to nothing. I had fajitas in TGI Fridays in Dublin last week, and they were 20 euros or $30. The same thing in the US would be $10-12. It just breaks my heart how expensive it is to eat out here & for food that is pretty basic fare, not exactly gourmet fare.

Also loved how each American city or region was so different from each other. I lived in Atlanta for years. Within a 3-6 hr drive of me were Memphis/Nashville, or New Orleans/Biloxi, or the Florida Gulf coast, or Savannah & Charleston on the Atlantic coast, or the Great Smokey Mountains. Going on road trips were so much FUN ! There was so much to see and do and experience from what I did in my day to day life in Atlanta. In Ireland, you just don't have that kind of diversity. America is such a huge and diverse country, it is a very stimulating place to live or visit especially if you make the effort to get out there and see and do stuff.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    100% agree. The cost of eating out there compared to here is next to nothing. I had fajitas in TGI Fridays in Dublin last week, and they were 20 euros or $30. The same thing in the US would be $10-12. It just breaks my heart how expensive it is to eat out here & for food that is pretty basic fare, not exactly gourmet fare.

It doesn't help that the $ is in the toilet so euro prices seem really high to those of us earning dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

It doesn't help that the $ is in the toilet so euro prices seem really high to those of us earning dollars.

Ummmmm is it not the opposite. It was 1 euro to $1.50 when I first came, today it was 1 euro to $1.29. Probably the cheapest or close to I've seen it in 5 years here...

Advertisement