Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best things about living in the States?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Ummmmm is it not the opposite. It was 1 euro to $1.50 when I first came, today it was 1 euro to $1.29. Probably the cheapest or close to I've seen it in 5 years here...

Certainly an improvement the last few weeks but it should be even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Right on red! I can't live without it.

And don't forget pedestrians have the right of way at street corners!

This is something I've never got used to.

They wander out into the traffic because they have right of way and yet every day here there's stories of pedestrians being killed, hit and runs, etc.

I'd have thought teaching pedestrians a healthy fear of traffic would be much safer.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Everything is negotiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

1. Land is CHEAP. I mean it, too. I'm going to buy land in the south in the next 5 - 6 years. As it stands I could buy a 30 acre farm and build a house on it for less than 100 grand USD. Granted it's the south, and that is not for everyone, but I have always wanted a farm of my own in a great climate.
    2. People are friendly. Before moving here I wasn't so sure about how welcoming people were. Being Irish, I'm loved here. For instance, my dentist stopped one day after seeing me walking down the road and gave me a lift. I had only met her once and she recognized me so she pulled over and drove out of her way to bring me to where I was going.
    3. If you're single (which I'm not) and have an Irish accent you will love it here. I get chatted up by girls all the time, even if I'm just shopping and they manage to hear my accent. If you're a single guy thinking of moving here, I would definitely recommend it.
    4. It's cheap here. I bought 4 pairs of suit pants, a shirt, a tie, and two pairs of jeans for 120 dollars.

Word of warning - in a year I put on 2 stone. The portions here are huge, just make sure you work out regularly. I used to box 4 times a week in .ie and go to the gym 6 days out of 7. It took me a while to get into that here but the weight is falling off thankfully. Gyms are open 24/7 in most places, so if you work shifts it's pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

[-0-] wrote: »
    1. Land is CHEAP. I mean it, too. I'm going to buy land in the south in the next 5 - 6 years. As it stands I could buy a 30 acre farm and build a house on it for less than 100 grand USD. Granted it's the south, and that is not for everyone, but I have always wanted a farm of my own in a great climate.

To be fair, land prices in the US vary massively depending on location. Prices for land in New York/Boston/San Francisco/Chicago/DC etc. are all very expensive. It's like Europe-your farm in Andalucia or Calabria is going to be way cheaper than your land in Paris or Vienna.

Land is only cheaper in rural areas because less people want to live there to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

im off to new york soon for the summer staying in queens anybody got any tips for me as in do'es and dont's

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

They do?!? Well that explains a few things... :p

They do?!? Well that explains a few things... :p

Yep, and jaywalking can carry heavy fines depending on the city. Or even a punch to the face.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96353934.html

Word of warning - in a year I put on 2 stone. The portions here are huge, just make sure you work out regularly. I used to box 4 times a week in .ie and go to the gym 6 days out of 7. It took me a while to get into that here but the weight is falling off thankfully. Gyms are open 24/7 in most places, so if you work shifts it's pretty sweet.

This is something that I disliked about Ireland, and perhaps greater European culture. If I go to a restaurant, order a meal, and I can't finish it all, I expect to take home what I didn't eat. I paid for it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is something that I disliked about Ireland, and perhaps greater European culture. If I go to a restaurant, order a meal, and I can't finish it all, I expect to take home what I didn't eat. I paid for it.:mad:

If you don't take the food home here it's an insult.

That's right: "can I get you a to-go box?". You hear this all the time. No stigma attached.

For giggles, try asking for a doggie bag.

I know. You say "no" and its like you've just said you hated the food.

:o

3. If you're single (which I'm not) and have an Irish accent you will love it here. I get chatted up by girls all the time, even if I'm just shopping and they manage to hear my accent. If you're a single guy thinking of moving here, I would definitely recommend it.

All true.

Almost everyone will engage you in conversation just to hear your accent.

I've also found the accent breaks down race barriers as well. In america there can be(!) tension between races which we're not really part of so the accent tends to set you apart and establishes a little trust.

Or maybe its just me who's happy enough talking to anyone...

:o

InTheTrees wrote: »
    All true.

I've also found the accent breaks down race barriers as well. In america there can be(!) tension between races which we're not really part of so the accent tends to set you apart and establishes a little trust.

Or, you are part of it. Until you speak.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Or, you are part of it. Until you speak.

Well unfortunately yes, thats true as well.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well unfortunately yes, thats true as well.

Are you in the South?

Are you in the South?

No. Same as you. Pacific Northwest.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Pacific Northwest here too!

Really? Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

downtown / Cap Hill area. I'm on the 12 month J1 but changing status to H1B in October (pending visa approval).

downtown / Cap Hill area. I'm on the 12 month J1 but changing status to H1B in October (pending visa approval).

Good times. How long you been here?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Another PNW'er here. Some of the things I like in no particular order:

1. Less aggression
    2. Civic pride (many things in my neighborhood would be stolen / destroyed / abused if it was transplanted to Dublin)
    3. availability and convenience of things - things are generally geared
    towards making it easier for you to get things / get things done.
    4. people are friendly / helpful - may not be depth to it but most of it is reasonably sincere and whether it is or is not it just makes daily life more pleasant.
    5. Seattle sports is in a bit of a hole but it's still great to be able to take your pick of the pro and college options.
    6. Beer. I don't know why the Irish are such big drinkers. Our beer is ****e compared to what you can get here.
    7. I'm not a foody but we have the best simple food. If you watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives you know what I'm talking about.
    8. Class is less of a factor. There is a wealth divide and there is some snobbery but there seems to be a bigger middle with less overt differentiation.

I will qualify some of the above by saying these are view-points post 5 years of living in the Seattle area. You might have a very different experience in other areas. If I think of the notion of middle-England and what that means, politically, socio-economically etc. I think Seattle is a little like that for the US. Not saying that's a bad thing and it is a sweeping generalization but kind of the feel I have about the place. Now I'm rambling...

giddyup wrote: »
    6. Beer. I don't know why the Irish are such big drinkers. Our beer is ****e compared to what you can get here.

I agree wholeheartedly. American beer is so much better than what you can get in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I lived there. Agree with most of the good points. Bad points.

1) it is over policed
    2) some parts are very dull. I am looking at you Modesto
    3) California is over rated.

The PNW seems great. I have never been attracted to the South, or fly over country. Although Colorado and Montano are worth a visit.

One thing that people do when they emigrate is a bit odd, they talk about all the stuff close to San Francisco ( like ) LA, Vegas, Portland, Seattle. These differences in distance would include most of Europe from Dublin, yet being the same currency and culture it is an easier trip. I even flew to the East coast at weekends. That's about that same distance from Dublin as San Francisco. I dont fly to the east coast on weekends now.

I don't agree that the culture, therefore, changes that much. I once flew from SFO to Florida, and arrived in a city which was recognisably the same, in most superficial aspects, to the one I left. More humid, to be sure. A bit more tropical. Same culture. Travel that distance from Ireland and you are in the middle east.

For that reason I prefer Europe.

Greenwood here. We're right beside the Zoo.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

I lived there. Agree with most of the good points. Bad points.

1) it is over policed
    2) some parts are very dull. I am looking at you Modesto
    3) California is over rated.

The PNW seems great. I have never been attracted to the South, or fly over country. Although Colorado and Montano are worth a visit.

One thing that people do when they emigrate is a bit odd, they talk about all the stuff close to San Francisco ( like ) LA, Vegas, Portland, Seattle. These differences in distance would include most of Europe from Dublin, yet being the same currency and culture it is an easier trip. I even flew to the East coast at weekends. That's about that same distance from Dublin as San Francisco. I dont fly to the east coast on weekends now.

I don't agree that the culture, therefore, changes that much. I once flew from SFO to Florida, and arrived in a city which was recognisably the same, in most superficial aspects, to the one I left. More humid, to be sure. A bit more tropical. Same culture. Travel that distance from Ireland and you are in the middle east.

For that reason I prefer Europe.

Yeah that's my main problem with the US, everywhere is essentials the same.

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Yeah that's my main problem with the US, everywhere is essentials the same.

Y'all need to get your culture radars recalibrated. Stop looking through an Irish lens perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Y'all need to get your culture radars recalibrated. Stop looking through an Irish lens perhaps.

I agree. I honestly can't believe anybody would find heavily liberal New York, highly conservative rural Alabama, small town Idaho or a fishing village in Maine, the rust belt cities of Detroit and Cleveland, hill billies in the Appalachian Mountains, the Cajun's in Louisiana, the native American stronghold of New Mexico, the beach lifestyle of Southern California, etc. etc. etc. to all be the same culture with only minor differences. It simply isn't true.

Go to somewhere like North Dakota and tell me it's the same culture as San Francisco or Baltimore.

• Advertisement

I agree. I honestly can't believe anybody would find heavily liberal New York, highly conservative rural Alabama, small town Idaho or a fishing village in Maine, the rust belt cities of Detroit and Cleveland, hill billies in the Appalachian Mountains, the Cajun's in Louisiana, the native American stronghold of New Mexico, the beach lifestyle of Southern California, etc. etc. etc. to all be the same culture with only minor differences. It simply isn't true.

Go to somewhere like North Dakota and tell me it's the same culture as San Francisco or Baltimore.

Or even within states: Orlando, Miami, Gainesville, Key West. Tell me they are culturally similar. And no, weather is not culture.

Advertisement