Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best things about living in the States?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

People mentioned getting helped out with car trouble. Quick story. Had a blow-out on an interstate on the way home from a Labor Day camping weekend. Wife and kids in the car...got a bit of a fright. Before we had even gathered our senses 2 cars had stopped and the 2 guys had gotten out and were discussing (as we found out) who was best equipped to help. Once they had that figured out one guy left and the other guy came running at us with a huge hydraulic jack out of the back of his pick-up and was lifting our trailer before we had even done introductions. Absolute star of a bloke - he wouldn't let me do anything. Just kept saying that he could tell we were a family and that he was happy to help out. We were back on the road in 10 minutes. That guy got a bottle of Jameson in the mail a couple of weeks later and he sent me a great card to let me know how much he enjoyed it.

I have lots of similar stories. Lovely people generally in this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Any chance anyone here lives in Northern California, specifically the Bay Area and have favourite things about living there? Are people in that area generally as nice as the other Americans in this thread have been described as being?

Sadly I haven't been to the US yet, but the fact that a lot of the states seem to get clearly defined seasons is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Any chance anyone here lives in Northern California, specifically the Bay Area and have favourite things about living there? Are people in that area generally as nice as the other Americans in this thread have been described as being?

Sadly I haven't been to the US yet, but the fact that a lot of the states seem to get clearly defined seasons is great!

I used to live in Santa Cruz for 10 years. Its on the north end of Monterey Bay, about an hour south of SF. (Seattle now)

Southern Californians have the same reputation within California as Californians have within the US, which is arrogant and self absorbed (think hollywood). But I've found them to be a friendly and pleasant enough bunch. Northern CA tends to be more relaxed, it has the old hippie reputation.

In my opinion, its the absolutely Perfect Climate there. Not as hot (constant sunshine is not as great as it sounds) as socal, not as wet as oregon. You get the mediterranean weather of the south of France rather than southern spain which is LA.

You should go and visit.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Snikt

Just moved to Ireland from the US and there are a few things I miss. It was said before, but being able to get what you need whenever you need it is awesome. I lived in DC for 6 years prior to coming here and could buy anything from video games, to TVs, to groceries until at least 9. That combined with the variety offered for any single item, convenience stores like CVS, everything stores like Target, and the availability of everything online makes it very easy to miss being a US consumer.

Another thing, though I don't understand taxes overly well, but I never thought I'd miss being taxed around the average 7%. The 23% VAT kills me here, particularly when a company doesn't seem to change the price to reflect Euro (Apple being a fantastic example).

The final thing, tex-mex. It's my favorite food and I miss it terribly, but can't seem to find a place that does it right. Even Old El Paso mix tastes different here. Someone please bring at least a Chipotle to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

Snikt, that's what I tell people, too - being able to get anything you want at, say, 3am. I used to do grocery shopping, cruise Wal-mart, do banking at an ATM, or get fuel at 1am when I was off work.
    It was a big shock when I 1st came to Ireland that if I was making dinner and didn't have an ingredient and it was after 6pm, I was in trouble.

Tax: well at least the price you see is the price you pay and can add it up in your head and have the amount ready while waiting to check out. :P

Tex-Mex, a subject near and dear to my heart. I try the versions here occasionally, sometimes with surprisingly decent versions. Usually end up with sweet chili sauce and not a jalapeño in sight. Chipotle? You must be joking! Get a big bottle of Tabasco's Chipotle and douse everything! :D myself, I'd love to to have Ro-Tel and Old El Paso chopped green chilies. Even called the company here and they didn't know what I was talking about, kept saying, "Pimentos?" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

WexTex wrote: »
    Chipotle? You must be joking!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

cena wrote: »
    Are houses much cheaper than here in Ireland

Bought a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom and full basement with a three season porch and 1.5 acres two months ago at auction

Good roof and windows but the rest needs doing

In a quite cul de sac with city water and private septic system

Will take me 6 months and $30K materials/furniture to do up

Two miles from town with a river (fishing) 200 yds away

Total cost $71K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Chipotle? You must be joking!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

I think the poster was referring to the chain of restaurants called Chipotle ;)

Snikt, that's what I tell people, too - being able to get anything you want at, say, 3am. I used to do grocery shopping, cruise Wal-mart, do banking at an ATM, or get fuel at 1am when I was off work.
    It was a big shock when I 1st came to Ireland that if I was making dinner and didn't have an ingredient and it was after 6pm, I was in trouble.

Yes. And dare I say it; The Parking, and convenience of being able to set out to the shops at 2pm or 2am and know you'll find an easy close parking spot.

I remember coming home to ireland and driving around around and around to find parking and then having to cram the car into a shoebox space.

I'm a bit more eco aware now (and living in a city) but I loved the "car culture" when I first arrived. Drive-thru fast food? yes! We had a drive in movie theatre near us in California that was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Vegas

Just booked labor day weekend there...5 nights out in Vegas, can't fcuking wait! (even if 5 nights will kill me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hazys wrote: »
    Vegas

Just booked labor day weekend there...5 nights out in Vegas, can't fcuking wait! (even if 5 nights will kill me)

5 hour energy is your friend. That stuff kept me going even after have several beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I think the poster was referring to the chain of restaurants called Chipotle ;)

Oh:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

How do ye all find working in the US? I know it's going to be different depending on what industry you work in but I've heard a few general things which may or may not be true. Like there's no such thing as the 40 hour week, Monday to Friday is basically just work whereas your weekends are your own? I would be attracted to the amenities in the US, but from what I've heard workwise the US is a lot different from working in the EU. Could anyone elaborate on their work/life experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

johnnykilo wrote: »
    How do ye all find working in the US? I know it's going to be different depending on what industry you work in but I've heard a few general things which may or may not be true. Like there's no such thing as the 40 hour week, Monday to Friday is basically just work whereas your weekends are your own? I would be attracted to the amenities in the US, but from what I've heard workwise the US is a lot different from working in the EU. Could anyone elaborate on their work/life experiences?

Yes I second that, definitely overworked here, I don't know how the folks with kids and a family manage it. I only get 10 days holidays a year, work 9 or 10 hour days, even a 40 hour week (if I was to keep to it) is a bit much for me I'd rather the old 37.5 any week!

For me that is probably the biggest driving factor in not wanting to stay here, that and consumerism, although this is probably more suited to the "Worst things about living in the States?" thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lived in Michigan. Only thing I miss about the place was the friends I made. I'd like to spend some time in other areas though - I travelled 20 hours on a bus from New Jersey to Michigan and all I saw was snow. Would definitely go somewhere warmer!

NJ isn't all that great either, I was in Newark for a bit. Alright for a pissup, wouldn't like to live there. I kind of felt uncomfortable in the US - It's VERY material there. Would make you overly-conscious of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

johnnykilo wrote: »

My average week is anything from 50 - 60 hours. Holidays suck.....I think 10 days or so officially. Almost no one in my dept takes holidays.....ever! Last time a guy in the lab was sick he came in wearing a face mask so he wouldn't miss a day of work! Everyone wolfs down lunch whilst working, even my boss. No one gets coffee breaks etc where I work. I work alongside people with kids who arrive at work before 8 and usually don't leave until 8 or 9 at night, and often work the weekends too. I don't know how they do it.....they spend hardly anytime at home with the kids. The really sad thing is, if you want to get ahead, or merely keep up with these people, you have to work those crazy hours.

I worked out a deal with my current employer for my job to be "eleven months" of every year. In other words instead of the measely american 2 weeks (actually 10 days), I get an extra 4 weeks, but take a 1/12th pay cut. If that makes sense.

I used to think that its amazing how hard americans work but it doesnt make them more productive than other countries.

Seems like it does tho: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

But may working more hours knocks the number down near the end.

When i started work in Ireland for the first year out of college, i had 24 days vacation then in my second year our of college i moved to the States where i got 10 days :eek:

I now have 16 days. 18 this year cos is carried over 2 days from last year...i struggled to take 16 last year, i'm defly going to struggle to take 18 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

spideog7 wrote: »
    Yes I second that, definitely overworked here, I don't know how the folks with kids and a family manage it. I only get 10 days holidays a year, work 9 or 10 hour days, even a 40 hour week (if I was to keep to it) is a bit much for me I'd rather the old 37.5 any week!

For me that is probably the biggest driving factor in not wanting to stay here, that and consumerism, although this is probably more suited to the "Worst things about living in the States?" thread :P

Yeah apologies for going OT, I had a quick look for a working life in the US thread but I couldn't find one. Thanks to all those that replied, it confirmed my suspicions. Anyway please feel free to go back talking about the Best Things about living in the states :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Is an irish man guaranteed sex over there with a thick accent??

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

investment wrote: »
    Is an irish man guaranteed sex over there with a thick accent??

kind of off topic?

but its like anywhere,if you have a face like a sack of hammers then your not guaranteed anything.. also depends on the chick and how much alcohol involved

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

terrible talk gentlemen! what city should a masters student (supply chain mgt) go looking for a job in States?? wanna move over there and settle but where tho hmmm...

The_Poznan wrote: »
    terrible talk gentlemen! what city should a masters student (supply chain mgt) go looking for a job in States?? wanna move over there and settle but where tho hmmm...

No idea. But maybe think roughly about areas that interest you and start looking there?

Are you outdoorsy or urban? East or West coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Without experience you won't get very far to be honest.

hi inthetrees - think i wanna go to either austin or chicago background farm in countryside so leaning towards austin at moment...just not sure if there are many oppertunities there?

Hi caliden - im mature student (30) with 6 yrs insurance experience but did a masters to change direction...would u thing this would leave me in a better position?

hi inthetrees - think i wanna go to either austin or chicago background farm in countryside so leaning towards austin at moment...just not sure if there are many oppertunities there?

Hi caliden - im mature student (30) with 6 yrs insurance experience but did a masters to change direction...would u thing this would leave me in a better position?

Depends on the industry you want to get into - the major problem in staying long term/even getting a job initially is the visa. Your visa is good for a year (the grad J1 visa), but after that you need to be sponsored to stay, and a lot of companies just wont do that as its an added expense for them. Equally, a lot of companies might choose not to hire someone on a 1 yr visa as you would have to leave after them training you up etc.

hi avalon

thanks for replying but im already aware of your points however if you don't try you wont succeed...its all about research and hard work (sending out 100s of CV s etc) for me. where do you work in the states? im 90% certain i wanna move to texas ... the fact that there are smaller pockets of irish there might work in my favour as ill have something different to offer companies - yes/no?

hi avalon

thanks for replying but im already aware of your points however if you don't try you wont succeed...its all about research and hard work (sending out 100s of CV s etc) for me. where do you work in the states? im 90% certain i wanna move to texas ... the fact that there are smaller pockets of irish there might work in my favour as ill have something different to offer companies - yes/no?

Im in New England, and honestly once you move away from stuff like bar and restaurant work, your Irish accent wont be of any real help, especially in big Pharma companies. They dont care. I would do my utmost to find a job before arriving if I were you, and realistically you should be aiming for areas with lots of big pharma rather than somewhere like texas. San Diego is a big hub, as is the greater boston area. Its really not a great time for big pharma right now - lots of patents ending etc. There are jobs, but there are many many applicants also.

• Advertisement

Well avalon fair point's again but im goin to keep positive...where are the main food companies based in US? The beauty of having an MSc in Supply Chain Mgt does not confine me to anyone industry..

Advertisement