Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Pay Scheme for First Time Teachers

• 19-04-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what my starting salary would be as a secondary teacher. I have not taught before. I have a Masters and a 2.1 in my primary degree and hopefully in my H Dip.

I know that the starting pay has been decreased to approximately €27,000. However i cannot figure out what I am entitled to with regards extra allowances. Is there a cap after being placed on allowances? Or will i receive an allowance for having an honours Masters and an honours degree?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Zippacat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If the measures as stated on February 1 become permanent you won't receive any allowance above your basic salary. That includes the honours degree/ masters allowance, substitution and supervision, Gaelscoil/Gaeltacht etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zippacat

Thanks for the help. I thought that there was an alllowance cap rather than a total removal of the allowances no? Have the changes been completely finalised? Or are discussions ongoing?

No cap. Just a complete removal, temporarily at least. It's still under negotiation, despite the fact a decision was meant to have been issued nearly two months ago at this stage.

Ruairí Quinn has stated that he is in favour of some allowances for teachers. Unfortunately that will likely mean he is in favour of them for teachers within the Croke Park deal, not teachers in general. Which when you think about it, doesn't make any sense. If the principle of rewarding degrees is a good one, it should apply to everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I must have been under a rock for the last month... I thought this was still under discussion and hadnt been put into action.. Am I right in thinking it affects all teachers? No matter their contract or length of service?

Out of curiousity, I got my first contract in post primary sector this February after graduating in 2010. I did do a month of supervision in 2010 but dont know if this counts. Do the cuts to 'new entracts' affect me?

Also does the time at which you complete the post qualification employment for teaching council determine when you become a new entrant? Or is it as soon as you start teaching in the classroom after graduation??

I really must join the union so I can annoy our rep about this stuff.....

The above measure apply for anyone who became eligible for receipt of any of the allowances after February 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Consuelano

Below are the current salaries for the teachers holding an hons degree, masters and dip who started in 10, 11, and 12.

2010 - €40845
    2011 - €32240
    2012 - €27814

What a difference a year makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

... and thats only for NQT teachers on full hours!! I saw more than one advertisement for only 2 hours a week when I was jobhunting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A job on full hours for a NQT would be relatively rare these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

Consuelano wrote: »
    Below are the current salaries for the teachers holding an hons degree, masters and dip who started in 10, 11, and 12.

2010 - €40845
    2011 - €32240
    2012 - €27814

Wow that is crazy difference, so much for inspiring good graduates to consider teaching.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

2010 - €40845
    2011 - €32240
    2012 - €27814

A 32 per cent drop from 2010 to 2012 - and some people think the teaching game isn't playing its part in sucking money out of the economy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Powerhouse wrote: »

2010 - €40845
    2011 - €32240
    2012 - €27814

A 32 per cent drop from 2010 to 2012 - and some people think the teaching game isn't playing its part in sucking money out of the economy?

The 2012 figure does not include allowances which have been put on hold since Feb. Hopefully there will be some news on this soon that would give some certainty to people.

there are two assistant principals in my school who have been appointed since march and still dont know what the story is.

I heard that howlin wants each dept. to make a business case for all allowances.

Whatever happens it would be better to know. A promotional post isn't really promotional without pay. Opportunities are bad enough without this carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

2010 - €40845
    2011 - €32240
    2012 - €27814

On top of that teachers have to cope with deductions of:

P.A.Y.E. 42%
    P.R.S.I. 6.5%
    U.S.C. 7.5%
    Pension 6.5%
    Pension levy 10.75%

Union fee € 7 per week

doesn't leave too much to go mad on !!!!!!!

If teachers work in an After School Club, or similar, they must still pay pension levy even though the amount they are earning is not included for pension purposes ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

J.R. wrote: »

P.A.Y.E. 42%
    ?

Won't be paying at the higher tax band based on those pay rates for 2011/2012.

Thats some drop in pay scale though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

J.R. wrote: »

P.A.Y.E. 42%
    P.R.S.I. 6.5%
    U.S.C. 7.5%

Pension 6.5%
    Pension levy 10.75%

Union fee € 7 per week

doesn't leave too much to go mad on !!!!!!!

If teachers work in an After School Club, or similar, they must still pay pension levy even though the amount they are earning is not included for pension purposes ?????

Seriously don't put these into an defence of how crap teacher pay is. All workers whether they are public or private sector have to pay these. They are not exclusive to teachers, and it makes PS workers look bad when PAYE is churned out as a reason as to why we have no money.

Also union fee is optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Also union fee is optional.
    With the number of posters here complaining that they or their friends haven't been given fair contracts I'd say it isn't really, especially for young, inexperienced teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RealJohn wrote: »
    With the number of posters here complaining that they or their friends haven't been given fair contracts I'd say it isn't really, especially for young, inexperienced teachers.

Well in that respect it is a must for a non-permanent/CID teacher but when people are making representations on behalf of teachers and saying how our conditions have been eroded away, pay cut etc, it really doesn't go down well saying tax and subscriptions are one of the reasons. I'd be embarrassed to see a teacher representing other teachers in the public domain churning out stuff like this.

You're right that tax is tax. Everyone has to pay tax and it's only going to annoy non-teachers if we start moaning about PAYE.
    I was emphasising the importance of union membership for vulnerable (though for those of us in less vulnerable positions it feels like a massive waste of money).

Edit to say that teaching counsel registration should be on that list too in fairness and that really does seem to be a waste of money.

Edit to say that teaching counsel registration should be on that list too in fairness and that really does seem to be a waste of money.

I agree that it's a waste of money, but I still wouldn't include it in a list of teacher pay/expenses. Many people have to pay money for membership of their professional body, so it's not exclusive to teachers.

Most professional bodies actually offer something to people in those professions though. The teaching counsel offers nothing but hassle in my experience. They've certainly never offered me anything productive.

Most professional bodies actually offer something to people in those professions though. The teaching counsel offers nothing but hassle in my experience. They've certainly never offered me anything productive.

I agree that the Council appears to either squander or hoard the money, but I still don't think it should be mentioned as a teacher expense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement