Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing your mind

Options
  • 19-04-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I was asked about a particular topic the other day (housing in general) and I started spouting my opinion - "They should never have sold off the council housing, there's not enough housing stock left for people who can't afford to buy." Halfway through the sentence I thought, hang on a minute - I used to believe that, but I don't really anymore. Because there is a difficulty with people who grow up and want to stay in the same area which makes it a more settled and stable area, people who are invested in the community - there's no point forcing them out to where they can afford to buy far away. So I had to say "Actually, let me think about that, tell me more about what you think." :o

So I'm wondering if any of you wise ones have found that you have changed your mind about stuff, maybe even radically, over time. Was it maturity, was it greater understanding of someone else's point of view, what?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

That's the thing about change JC...it undermines what was once the norm...and that can be frightening for people too...for me it's about being more informed...anything "earthly" can change ...nothing is stable...as you go through life you realise that more...back in the day things changed at a slower pace...but they still changed..,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When my children were little I was explaining how they should save their pennies and when they had enough saved we would open a bank account for them. I remember their little faces and their wide eyes when I told them we would go to this place called 'the bank' and give all their money to the man behind the desk to mind. My son said 'but he'll have all my money and take it for himself', and I said, 'not at all, he is paid to look after your money and keep it safe for you and in a year's time he will have even more for you'. Out of the mouths of babes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

It can be hard to change your mind on something you've always believed. People are creatures of habit and like stability. When you question something you've always believed it can raise a whole host of other questions or doubts that can shake you to your foundations. In a way it make you question you own competency and view of reality, which can be frightening - you may just reach the conclusion you've been a fool your whole life.

There's a book called the "7 habits of highly effective people" which has a very good chapter on this topic. It's well worth reading.

A quote I like:

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
    - John Maynard Keynes (in reply to a criticism during the Great Depression of having changed his position on monetary policy)

Incidentally, it is almost always seen as weakness when a politician "flip-flops" on an issue - even when more up-to-date information surfaces or situations change. It seems people also like to believe that the people in charge know what they're doing and when leadership changes it's mind on some issue that belief is shaken (btw, not defending any particular politicians or party here- just a thought on leadership in general).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

To answer your question though, I've changed my mind on lots of things and for all of the reasons you listed (maturity, greater understanding, someone else's point of view) but there can be other, less noble, reasons behind it: environment and your treatment by others being major ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've never actually believed that politicians know what they are doing because of the millions they pay to 'consultants' and advisors. Why don't the consultants go up for election and save us all a lot of time, money and bother and we can get rid of the chaff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement