Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering an 8 month old dog?

• 19-04-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

We have an 8 month old pure breed, non reg. None of the pups from the litter we bought were registered, but both parents are pure bred. The lady we bought her from said we could register by ourselves, with her dogs papers etc, does anyone know if it's actually possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, but yes. the only person that can register the pups is the breeder so just ask her to send off the paperwork and when it comes back, to send it to you then, you change the ownership then yourself by signing the papers and registering it in your name by sending it back to the ikc.with the fee but the breeder has to do it herself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Noelly

Oh yeah that's what I meant, sorry! She's going to do it, but will she be able to just register one of the pups since she's 8 months old?

Or is it just a case of getting her chipped, the parents names on the form, and her sending it off for us? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

http://www.ikc.ie/forms/FormNO1.pdf
    6. (a) All dogs whelped within the jurisdiction of the Irish Kennel Club Ltd. must be registered by the Breeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

To be honest papers mean nothing really, unless you want to show your dog... There are no benefits of having papers for a dog.

If your wanting the papers because your planning on breeding from your dog you should make sure it is fully health tested and an exceptional example of the breed...

As far as I know you can only register your dog with the permission of the breeder of it if they let you, you should be asking why didnt they originally register the litter in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im not sure but I cant see why she couldn't register her. Why wasnt it done at the start? I would be questioning why the pups weren't reg in the first place.

• Advertisement

To be honest papers mean nothing really, unless you want to show your dog... There are no benefits of having papers for a dog.

If your wanting the papers because your planning on breeding from your dog you should make sure it is fully health tested and an exceptional example of the breed...

As far as I know you can only register your dog with the permission of the breeder of it if they let you, you should be asking why didnt they originally register the litter in the first place?

She's willing to register her!

The reason she's getting registered is something to do with a pet passport! Not really sure, but my parents are considering moving to Canada and according to them the dog needs to be registered and chipped for it to go through!

Noelly wrote: »
    She's willing to register her!

The reason she's getting registered is something to do with a pet passport! Not really sure, but my parents are considering moving to Canada and according to them the dog needs to be registered and chipped for it to go through!

Nope, you don't need IKC registration for a pet passport, PM Shazanne on here, I know her daughter moved to Canada with two dogs that I am sure were rescued cross-breeds. Your parents need to contact a vet that is experienced with the requirements for exporting dogs.

<Edt.> As far as I know pet passports only cover the EU, quarantine etc. is needed for Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

andreac wrote: »
    Im not sure but I cant see why she couldn't register her. Why wasnt it done at the start? I would be questioning why the pups weren't reg in the first place.

Totally agree with you. I wonder what the outcome of this will be? Surely a breeder would know that can only She can register the litter so why is she telling you lies? And also I am pretty sure ikc dogs must be microchipped, why did she not do that? Maybe bitch was too old? Or had too many litters? Alarm bells would be ringing for me!

Perhaps your parents think they need to register as proof of the dogs age?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pet-imports/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796

I would still check with a vet as I would imagine the vet's signature would be proof enough, if they are only thinking about it the dog will be older by the time it happens and obviously not a 'puppy'.

Registration might make it go more smoothly though (proof of birth date etc.)

Thanks for your help everyone! :)

To be honest, I don't know much about it at all, just that with emigrating there has to be some kind of files and all that stuff but I've no idea what :o

As for the breeder, I'm not sure about that either! She's a neighbour of ours so I don't think she'd have conned us though because she'd have known we'd easily have found the issue and brought it back to her like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You don't need to be IKC registered to get a pet passport for your dog. If that was the case then how would crossbreeds travel?

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/getapetpassport/

Your vet will know what to do. They will chip her and then send off for the passport. He will also advise on any vaccinations needed but I think since Jan 2012 you'll probably need to get a rabies shot at least 3 months before you go, all which is recorded on the passport.

Advertisement