Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Garda Síochána be armed?

• 19-04-2012 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

Sorry mods if there is already a thread on this.

In recent times the level of crime has increased, as have break ins etc. Such as the break in in Swords that happened a few days ago. Some people argue that police and other authorities having guns will cause an increase in the amount of guns that criminals have, but I call bluff on that, and it is a straw man aargument. Criminals are going to have guns anyway. I do appreciate that you might have an over zealous Garda who will shoot willy-nilly, and I am aware that it has happened numerous times especially in America, as have flase executions. But what say ye fellow boardsies? Should all members of an Garda Síochána be armed?? Or even senior members? Should private citizense be allowed to protect their property with a fire arm? Or would that just open up a further can of worms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yes. They'd be taken more seriously.

Although there would have to be a psych test before giving a bogger a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

In recent times the level of crime has increased, as have break ins etc. Such as the break in in Swords that happened a few days ago. Some people argue that police and other authorities having guns will cause an increase in the amount of guns that criminals have, but I call bluff on that, and it is a straw man aargument. Criminals are going to have guns anyway. I do appreciate that you might have an over zealous Garda who will shoot willy-nilly, and I am aware that it has happened numerous times especially in America, as have flase executions. But what say ye fellow boardsies? Should all members of an Garda Síochána be armed?? Or even senior members? Should private citizense be allowed to protect their property with a fire arm? Or would that just open up a further can of worms?

Give them shovels and send them back to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yes. They'd be taken more seriously.

Although there would have to be a psych test before giving a bogger a gun.

By taken more seriously you mean they'd scare the **** out of everyone.

Sorry, but I've lost count of the amount of Gardaí on a power-trip stories I've heard.

I'd rather that if I get pulled over for something that the most I have to worry about, regardless of how much of a prick the Gard is, are a couple of penalty points and a fine, rather than a Glock to the face.

The vast majority of Gardaí are lovely, entirely competent individuals. However, all it takes is one eejit with an itchy finger and we have a dead innocent. Is that worth 10% less handbag thefts a year? Not a chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Somewhere down the list - around Anders Breivik, I'd have the Gardaí in terms of wanting to see them armed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

NSNO wrote: »

Sorry, but I've lost count of the amount of Gardaí on a power-trip stories I've heard.

I'd rather that if I get pulled over for something that the most I have to worry about regardless of how much of a prick the Gard is, are a couple of penalty points and a fine, rather than a Glock to the face.

The vast majority of Gardaí are lovely, entirely competent individuals. However, all it takes is one eejit with an itchy finger and we have a dead innocent. Is that worth 10% less handbag thefts a year? Not a chance.

But will intimidation from the Garda (without power trips) be enough?
    Police in other countries who are armed such as NL and Germany are well respected, and they are armed to the teeth, law abiding citizens are not afraid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Would make 'guardians of the peace' a bit of a misnomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't see why not.

Every 15 year old scumbag in the country has a gun and the Garda are supposed to fight them with what? Sticks?

No wonder the criminals rule the land!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't see why not.

Every 15 year old scumbag in the country has a gun and the Garda are supposed to fight them with what? Sticks?

No wonder the criminals rule the land!

But is defending your property by "shooting an intruder" such as is allowed in the red states of America a step too far or would you be iin favour of it? Bear in mind that the intureder will most likely be armed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Koshea

Aren't the special branch allowed firearms?

It would, as suggested, open up another can of worms. It may only work if the amount of firearms in the country remained static, however if Joe Criminal thinks he needs to possess a gun in case he got into a tangle with an armed Guard then I presume gun possession (via the black market) would rise quite rapidly.

Maybe not worms, if a tin of Heinz was directed at my head that'd make me calm down.

Yeah, because that's the height of Irish criminality, handbag thieves :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

If they were legally required to hold their guns sideways whenever and no matter whatever the situation, I'd support it. It'd be a bit of a laugh.

But is defending your property by "shooting an intruder" such as is allowed in the red states of America a step too far or would you be iin favour of it? Bear in mind that the intureder will most likely be armed too.

What's that got to do with arming Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

But will intimidation from the Garda (without power trips) be enough?
    Police in other countries who are armed such as NL and Germany are well respected, and they are armed to the teeth, law abiding citizens are not afraid of them.

Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world, the Gardaí do a wonderful job without resorting to 'intimidation' as is.

We just need more of them, out on more streets, more of the time. No guns or bully boy tactics needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

How about arming them in stages to see how they get on.Hurleys first, then water pistols ,spud guns and Airsoft guns.They should also be encouraged to make appropriate gun noise's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I don't think so. I would not want to be near the border and see one of the Garda with a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Of course they should?

How else would they carry their batons?:confused:

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't think so. I would not want to be near the border and see one of the Garda with a gun.

Your reason to not arm Garda is because you wouldn't like to look over the border and see a Garda with a gun?

Super!

Your reason to not arm Garda is because you wouldn't like to look over the border and see a Garda with a gun?

Super!
    Would be a bit intimidating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

:pac::pac::pac: wear a blindfold when you're near the border Keith..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

I'd reckon we'd see just as much violent crime and possibly higher Garda fatalities if they were armed.
    As an After Hours participant..... I think the guards should have their pencils taken off them..:D

• Advertisement

Would be a bit intimidating.

Then man the f*ck up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

what border. you and peter coming down to louth or monaghan to recapture a few more to add to the six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

What are you doing acting suspiciously at the border then?

Anyway Keith, what would you rather at the border (our side), armed paramilitaries or armed Gardaí?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No,not a great need for every uniformed member to be armed,if anything it would probably encourage more criminals to equip themselves with firearms.The ASP and pepper spray are enough imo,though maybe it would do no harm to equip a few members in each unit with a tazer like in the UK.

Other then that there just needs to be more Gardai on the beat then there is currently.

i wouldnt trust them with a pea shooter

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    What are you doing acting suspiciously at the border then?

Anyway Keith, what would you rather at the border (our side), armed paramilitaries or armed Gardaí?
    I ain't. Just think it would be good if there was no Garda armed with guns. Could be a bit intimidating to people.

I ain't. Just think it would be good if there was no Garda armed with guns. Could be a bit intimidating to people.
    you want to have been a five year old in the back of a car with the udr with a gun to your head.

Good.

The Police should be an intimidating force!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd rather that if I get pulled over for something that the most I have to worry about, regardless of how much of a prick the Gard is, are a couple of penalty points and a fine, rather than a Glock to the face.

Ah yeah! That was what I was getting at with "give them a psych evaluation first" point I failed to elaborate.

Superbus wrote: »
    Would make 'guardians of the peace' a bit of a misnomer.

"But how do you get peace Homer?"
    "With a knife".

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yes. There art far too many scumbags that have no fear of the gardai whatsoever. If anything it's the other way around, plenty of gardai are terrified of dealing with scumbags and most of the 'travelling community'.

Introducing fire arms for gardai would go some way to reversing the situation, which is an utter joke at present.

Blatter wrote: »
    Yes. There art far too many scumbags that have no fear of the gardai whatsoever. If anything it's the other way around, plenty of gardai are terrified of dealing with scumbags and most of the 'travelling community'.

Introducing fire arms for gardai would go some way to reversing the situation, which is an utter joke at present.

True that. Just watch the p's and q's about the travelling community. I do know one or two travellers who are decent people. Unfortunately, the minority of travellers who cause trouble are tarring all of them with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I think they should be armed.

Blatter wrote: »

would be more afraid of some armed gardai than any traveller i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Over 20% of gardai carry firearms so no we don't need any more.
    Also armed gardai are very restricted in what actions they can take ie not getting involved in struggles when arresting scum so they actually end up being less effective.

I do know one or two travellers who are decent people.

Lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In recent times the level of crime has increased, as have break ins etc. Such as the break in in Swords that happened a few days ago. Some people argue that police and other authorities having guns will cause an increase in the amount of guns that criminals have, but I call bluff on that

You call bluff? Well that certainly disproves whatever it is you're arguing against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

True that. Just watch the p's and q's about the travelling community. I do know one or two travellers who are decent people. Unfortunately, the minority of travellers who cause trouble are tarring all of them with the same brush.

Not to drag this thread off topic, so this will be final post relating to the travelling community.

My personal experience with them is that the vast majority are trouble makers and the minority are decent, and that is why I said 'most' of the travelling community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

No. I don't think so. They've had pepper spray for a few years now and seem to use it at every opportunity(A poor dog got it between the eyes there yesterday). They're far too gung ho with their new toys. There would be an incident every weekend.

Lon.C wrote: »
    No. I don't think so. They've had pepper spray for a few years now and seem to use it at every opportunity(A poor dog got it between the eyes there yesterday). They're far too gung ho with their new toys. There would be an incident every weekend.

Link?

What had the dog done? Was it menacing the Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Certain areas might need an increase in armed Gardai but I wouldn't like to see it everywhere, would prefer to see a general increase in unarmed on the beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Harsh sentences and the abolition of suspended sentences would have a greater effect on crime. Hard Labour for the criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ya but only in high crime areas and with very clear guidelines on when they can and can't use their gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

hell ye they should be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

the detective units, the regional support units, and the Emergency Response Unit have guns.

the people who need them have them!! that enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

They will never be armed because it will mean the government will have to spend a few bob,
    sure I read in the paper a few months ago they were reducing the armed response unit because of cut backs.
    Its ridiculous,how are the gardai meant to protect us and themselves against armed criminals...

Lon.C wrote: »

Lol!!!

The dog was in the process of ripping a guy's arm off! Of course they pepper sprayed it! Jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Should the Garda Síochána be armed?

The argument from America, proffered by every rightwing libertarian nutjob (apologies for the tautology) who ends in an Irish zone of the www and can't stand the uncertainty of it.

American solutions to Irish problems? No thanks, particularly when in this case they aren't even American solutions to American problems (other than the problems faced by gun manufacturers who want to increase their profits)

Lol!!!

The dog was in the process of ripping a guy's arm off! Of course they pepper sprayed it! Jaysus!

Yeah I know. Cool story though. Would you like some seasoning with that hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

when dealing with dole people, yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement