Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Garda Síochána be armed?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Blatter wrote: »
    Yes. There art far too many scumbags that have no fear of the gardai whatsoever. If anything it's the other way around, plenty of gardai are terrified of dealing with scumbags and most of the 'travelling community'.

Introducing fire arms for gardai would go some way to reversing the situation, which is an utter joke at present.
    Give the Gardai back their batons and the right to use them and all wil be well! The lawless revellers who wreak havoc with their drunken brawls at weekends can be subdued a lot easier and let out to go to court the next morning to pay their €1000 fine or spend a week in the worst Sh1thole in mountjoy with one basic meal a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

when dealing with dole people, yes

By that do you mean people on the dole? Any and every person on the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think they should be armed, more and more criminals are becoming armed. How can Gardai enforce the law when all they have is a soft culchie accent and a hat!?

There should be a Crime:Gardai armdness rating.

So far its crims 100 to Gardai 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

MrStuffins wrote: »
    By that do you mean people on the dole? Any and every person on the dole?
    Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

Yes

Am I missing something? What have people on the dole to do with a lawless moralless thug who robs houses / beats up old ladies ... etc?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Of course the Gardai should be armed.....they deal with the worst dregs of society on a daily basis, of course they should be able to defend themselves.

I've seen so many threads on here demanding that ordinary joe soap home-owner be armed to the teeth and allowed to go as far as using lethal force to deal with intruders in their homes.....I ask you ...if we are to be allowed to so protect ourselves why shouldn't we extend the same rights to those charged with protecting and serving us?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

No dont arm them just hire more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Of course they should be armed, so they can do their job properly.
    You don't dig a hole without a shovel handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

Id reckon doing there job would require them to respond to call outs in an a timely mannor and not the 4 or 5 hour horror stories im sure we have all read on other forums simply arming them does not mean that now they will do their job although hiring more means more gardai to respond to events than no respond at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MEMBER12

I believe that members would pay up front for their own personal issue firearm. The time has come to arm the force in my opinion. It is only a matter of time before there is some serious gunfights on Irish streets, and do not forget that it will most probably be the unarmed member that arrives on scene first. I think we need to follow the Canadian system as a role model! Give Gardai the ability to protect themselves and the public. What will happen if the IRA go to war with the drug gangs? There are not enough armed members around to cover this country.It will not be long before a Garda is killed because he does not have the equipment to protect himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

maninasia wrote: »
    Of course they should be armed, so they can do their job properly.
    You don't dig a hole without a shovel handy.

How does arming them allow them to do their job properly??

Having an unarmed police force is one of the things I admire about this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

MEMBER12 wrote: »
    I believe that members would pay up front for their own personal issue firearm.

And who is going to pay to train them? The training would be the biggest expense in arming the force because if the state was to order a pistol for every member they would get a substantial discount anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It will not be long before a Garda is killed because he does not have the equipment to protect himself.
    They do. It's called a brain*

*Admittedly not all are in possession of one

I admire it aswell, however I really believe that that time has gone. Guns are coming into everyday life at an alarming rate. Life is cheap, and it gets cheaper by the day. I believe that It is time for a change, arm the Gardai now. This will mean that they will be able to protect themselves and the public. I want to let people know that I'm not a gun toting nut{shoot em all} kinda guy. I really believe that the time for change has come. It is time that fear is put back into the criminal, and I think this is what will do it.

I really believe that the time for change has come. It is time that fear is put back into the criminal, and I think this is what will do it.
    Guns don't put fear into criminals, especially if as you reckon there'll be gunfights between rival gangs.

• Advertisement

I admire it aswell, however I really believe that that time has gone. Guns are coming into everyday life at an alarming rate. Life is cheap, and it gets cheaper by the day. I believe that It is time for a change, arm the Gardai now. This will mean that they will be able to protect themselves and the public. I want to let people know that I'm not a gun toting nut{shoot em all} kinda guy. I really believe that the time for change has come. It is time that fear is put back into the criminal, and I think this is what will do it.

So you reckon arming the Gardaí will put fear into the criminals? Police armed to the teeth in places like the US hasn't put fear into criminals there, why would it here?

If they are afraid to go out onto the streets because there will armed Gardai close by, then job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The Gardai have been issued with Guns, the only guns our govt are interested in - speed guns. They bring in money. Hence the interest. Beyond that? Forget it.

If they are afraid to go out onto the streets because there will armed Gardai close by, then job done.

Wishful thinking...evidence in other countries would suggest that armed police is not much of a deterrent to criminals. It would probably encourage them to arm themselves with more weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Where will it end? If you give them arms pretty soon there will be demands to give them legs as well....

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't see why not.

Every 15 year old scumbag in the country has a gun and the Garda are supposed to fight them with what? Sticks?

No wonder the criminals rule the land!

Haha this is total bollocks! Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world with one of the lowest gun crime rates. Giving the gardai guns won't solve any problems. I think you should stop reading The Dail Mail, or any other tabloid for that matter.

So wait, they'll be afraid of an armed Garda (who'll probably give all the legally required warnings etc before opening fire) but not of rival scumbags also armed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Gardai are far too corrupt to have guns, they'd only use them to kill of those they have a grudge against. Every single guard in Ireland is corrupt to the core and they regularly extort businesses and individuals.

They should not be armed and their armed response wing should be curtailed, they already murdered one innocent man John Carthy. They were afraid to take on the IRA at that lads Funeral last week and I was delighted with this, had they gone in their gun-ho the IRA would have opened fire on them no doubt and throw Ireland back 50 years in one clean sweep.

The guards are only protecting the elite and their is no justice in Ireland, no TD, Banker or Fianna Failer has ever been charged with the treasonous act of deliberately bankrupting Ireland. This was the greatest crime in Ireland's history and it has gone totally unpunished. Any time a few students ever try to have a protest they get hammered by the guards. I personally hope the country further deteriorates so that people will pushed into fighting back like they did at the turn of the last century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Gardai are far too corrupt to have guns, they'd only use them to kill of those they have a grudge against. Every single guard in Ireland is corrupt to the core and they regularly extort businesses and individuals.

They should not be armed and their armed response wing should be curtailed, they already murdered one innocent man John Carthy. They were afraid to take on the IRA at that lads Funeral last week and I was delighted with this, had they gone in their gun-ho the IRA would have opened fire on them no doubt and throw Ireland back 50 years in one clean sweep.

The guards are only protecting the elite and their is no justice in Ireland, no TD, Banker or Fianna Failer has ever been charged with the treasonous act of deliberately bankrupting Ireland. This was the greatest crime in Ireland's history and it has gone totally unpunished. Any time a few students ever try to have a protest they get hammered by the guards. I personally hope the country further deteriorates so that people will pushed into fighting back like they did at the turn of the last century.

Thats some mighty fine trollin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stinicker wrote: »

Jesus....:pac:

Go Stinky! No holding back now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Best option.

Get 'Robocop' back on the streets.

Get him to train up some of our unemployed Eastern European friends in the ways of dealing with scum with nothing more than a bit of a stick & half a uniform.

Then give the lot of them the most lethal firearms available & blow away anybody that deserves it!

Best option.

Get 'Robocop' back on the streets.

Get him to train up some of our unemployed Eastern European friends in the ways of dealing with scum with nothing more than a bit of a stick & half a uniform.

Then give the lot of them the most lethal firearms available & blow away anybody that deserves it!
    In their opinion. Which may or may not be a sane opinion. I say stick to the sticks. There's a limit to how much shyte you can get yourself into with a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

while i have the utmost respect for the gardai i dont think the ordinary garda on the beat should be armed. a lot of them in dublin are straight up from the farm and are like a rabbit in the headlights once they are in the city. you should see some of them around operation freeflow. they would be too trigger happy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Pottler wrote: »
    In their opinion. Which may or may not be a sane opinion. I say stick to the sticks. There's a limit to how much shyte you can get yourself into with a stick.

As the population is not armed I don't think there is a need, those with legally held arms are a threat to no-one unless you are a rabbit or a fox.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »

You could be right there.

Still, they would be good as Cops of Prison Officers.

No such thing as the crims saying 'I know you're family....etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If the gardai had guns tomorrow, there would be alot of sh*t to follow.
    Even if a junkie pulled a knife, ran at a guard, the guard opens fire and kills him (imo, perfectly justifiable) you would still get an public out-cry.

- "why didnt the guard shoot him in the leg!?!?!?! :mad:"
    - "the gardai are on a power buzzz with guns now!"
    - "why did those bastard politicians let them HAVE GUNS?!!?"
    etc.

The government must know this too.

If the gardai had guns tomorrow, there would be alot of sh*t to follow.
    Even if a junkie pulled a knife, ran at a guard, the guard opens fire and kills him (imo, perfectly justifiable) you would still get an public out-cry.

- "why didnt the guard shoot him in the leg!?!?!?! :mad:"
    - "the gardai are on a power buzzz with guns now!"
    - "why did those bastard politicians let them HAVE GUNS?!!?"
    etc.

The government must know this too.

Maybe we should throw a Snickers bar at them.:D

Tell them to get some nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

The_fever wrote: »
    Give them shovels and send them back to the country

Are you for real I'am a Dub living in the Country and to be honest I think that's a crap comment I know lots of Garda that are Dubs what do we do with them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

while i have the utmost respect for the gardai i dont think the ordinary garda on the beat should be armed. a lot of them in dublin are straight up from the farm and are like a rabbit in the headlights once they are in the city. you should see some of them around operation freeflow. they would be too trigger happy

I was going to reply to the content of your post, but then I realised you are not one to be takem seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

No need for ordinary garda's to have guns.
    It would be a backward step(just look at the number of issues in us/uk)
    Garda themselves are not looking for guns so no reason for "boards" to vote that they get them;)

Well every Garda that I know thinks otherwise. You are bringing up the US/GB, what about Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, I could go on.

Well every Garda that I know thinks otherwise. You are bringing up the US/GB, what about Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, I could go on.
    Ah sure my kids want a motorbike but I won't get them one as I know it would end badly. We all want cool stuff. If I was a Gard, I'd want a gun. Probably best not to give me one and let me walk about "being in charge" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    They do. It's called a brain*

*Admittedly not all are in possession of one

tbf those that do have a brain probably get a brain allowance as an add on to their salary

• Advertisement
Advertisement