Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place/sights to bring elderly couple

Options
  • 19-04-2012 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi I've elderly relatives visiting from abroad. They're both 80 but great for their age. Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere nice I could bring them for a little bit of sight seeing etc. and then dinner somewhere nice but not too pricey? Any local suggestions would be great as they are flying out the next morning so I don't want to have to bring them too far away or have them out too late!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I would recommend a trip to Farmleigh - the tour of the house really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Some elderly pals of mine were over here recently from England (well, she's late 50's, he's ancient) - I brought them to Powerscourt Gardens and had lunch in Avoca up there afterwards - it was absolutely beautiful (scenery and food!). Then we drove down through the Sally Gap to Glendalough and had a wander around there.

No suggestions for what you might do for dinner at night, as I'm from the city centre and I suspect that's not what you have in mind - but the above made for a really great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelagg2000

Bring them out to Killiney to show them a real irish eviction scene,deja vous or what??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think there's free visits to the Aras at the weekends, take in the Ashtown Castle visitor centre while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I saw your thread earlier and made a mental note to get the Aras link because that's what came to mind as a local thing to do, but Gaspode has beaten me to it for the suggestion in the meantime :-) Here's the link anyway: http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=4&lang=eng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I would agree that Wicklow, and particularly areas like Laragh and Glendalough are unrivaled.

If it were somewhere local and not too expensive, I would agree with Gaspode and probably recommend the Phoenix park as a whole and that includes the suggestions others have made above that are located within the Phoenix park.

PS: Dont take me up the wrong way, but, I would not take them anywhere near the city center as I dont think it is a sight to be seen at all. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 donegal.295

thanks everyone for all the ideas. some great ideas. i'll let them pick themselves from all the ideas above

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tea rooms in Phoenix Park

Advertisement