Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return help

Options
  • 19-04-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hey,

Have a US tax issue that hopefully somebody can help me with.

I moved to the US in July of last year (with less than 183 remaining till the year end) and have a question about my 2011 tax return in the US.

While in Ireland I earned a salary and paid the correct Irish tax on this income (no issues here).

When reporting worldwide income for the US, do I need to report worldwide income before I became a US tax resident (i.e. should I have included in my tax return the Irish income that i earned and paid tax on before I became a US tax resident)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Anyone?

Surely I'm not the only person to move from Ireland to this US this year and has this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Did you file an extension? The deadline for filing has passed now. It will depend on allot of things such as your visa and status.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Did you file an extension? The deadline for filing has passed now. It will depend on allot of things such as your visa and status.

Yeah I kinda just lashed ahead and filed using 1040ez and just declared all us income.

But I'm wondering now did I file correctly.

If its any help I'm on a L1 visa and was in the us for 179 days, so less than the presence test of 183 days. But I'm thinking by filing using a standard 1040 form that I have elected to be tax resident.

Prob should have got some proper tax advice before filing.

Advertisement