Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mahon observes "Precise Observation and Quite Reflection" in his poems. Discuss

• 19-04-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Any notes/help on this question? How would I go about starting this? I have done 6 of his poems
    Chinese Restaraunt in Portrush
    Grandfather
    After the titanic
    As it should be
    Disused shed in co.wexford
    Antartica

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Very difficult question, Mahon observes the behaviour and actions of his Grandfather rather percisely but still cannot make heads nor tails of him "nothing escapes him, he escapes us".

For the quiet (?) reflection I'd say that he reflects over the terrible isolation of Ismay after the Titanic (you could also say that Ismay reflects over the disaster, but I wouldn't describe it as "quiet" as he required cocaine as a form of escapism) and he reflects over the noble and dignified act of Oates in Antartica, "is this some self sacrifice of the weakest? No he is just going out and may be some time" - there is no big fuss made.

I didn't do the other poems you studied, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mscool

Yes "quiet sorry! Ok, thanks for your help, do you know how I would start it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

mscool wrote: »
    Yes "quiet sorry! Ok, thanks for your help, do you know how I would start it?

A general introduction to Derek Mahon, his style (precise observation and quite reflection), brief examples from your poems and what you plan to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mscool

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement