Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Harry [not] coming to Galway for Volvo Ocean race

Options
  • 19-04-2012 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Great news for Galway and well done to the FG councillor! great coup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bensweeney wrote: »
    and well done to the FG councillor! great coup

... for giving birth to a member of the UK royalty? For organising an ocean beside Galway? For kidnapping the heir to Volvo?

What exactly did a FG councillor do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Thoie wrote: »
    ... for giving birth to a member of the UK royalty? For organising an ocean beside Galway? For kidnapping the heir to Volvo?

What exactly did a FG councillor do?

Probably just what most councillors do. Be the first councillor to get the press release out claiming credit for a decision made by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

It was on the Connacht Tribune Group's twitter earlier that this was a hoax. Buckingham Palace said that the letter received by a city councillor was a fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If its true i look forward to having a few lines of cocaine with him in the toilets of CPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Jewish Association of Galway (JAG) will not be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe he was meant to be visiting, but someone jumping the gun with an announcement made it impossible from a security point of view...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Sums up all that's wrong with Irish politics ...

Politician hears that something is about to happen . . . rushes out a press release . . . goes on the radio and hits the papers . . . turns out it has nothing to do with him and he was actually WRONG.

Funny how they don't go rushing to the papers with 'bad' news stories . . . but they rush to take the 'credit' for 'good' news.

I'm glad it was a hoax. Who needs all that extra security down at the Volvo Village?
    !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Prince Harry has military commitments that will keep him from having a party in Galway for the VOR.

Everybody: awww

And I was hoping to have fun winding people up about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

Story not a hoax but organisers aghast that details were leaked to local media. Was mentioned at Cabinet level two weeks ago. Denials from London came from Buck Palace but it is Clarence House who handles Prince Harry's affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

liabhroidi wrote: »
    Story not a hoax .
    The story IS A HOAX. Now stop spinning on behalf of the Volvo Marketing assistants who leaked it wholesale. Organisers are "aghast" that they got caught doing so. "Cabinet Level" my eye. :)

The Hoax letter from an unknown source was sent to the council and somehow came to the 'attention' of Pádraig Conneely but the real leaking came from marketing idiots on Facebook. :(

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25426-city-councillor-disappointed-over-prince-harry-hoax
    The City Councillor who announced that Prince Harry was to visit Galway this Summer says he's 'disappointed' the letter from Buckingham palace is a hoax.

City Council received a letter with a Buckingham letter head last week, outling that Prince Harry was interested in visiting Galway during the Volvo Ocean race finale.

Ho Ho Ho! :):)

Sorry...... it is not December time is it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Ahhh well and he would have been so at home what with all the gingers :p they got in Galway ...Lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Ah well. No chance of some huge tabloid story involving him and some dirty yoke of a woman in the jacks of CPs. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Great Professionalism on show by the local councillors again. Pathetic. Didn't even think to verify it first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Thoroughly embarrassing that anybody in this country could actually be impressed by something like this.

I guess some people find royalty endearing?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I guess some people find royalty endearing?
    Fine Gael types probably do.

Fine Gael types probably do.

You are living in the past if you are trying to paint the FG supporters as some kind of Monarchy lovers...I wouldn't have been excited about him coming over at all but wouldn't oppose it. If somebody wants to visit Galway and spend money then have at it. It's not like he's moving over and trying to stay illegally or bringing drugs in or something, he'd just be visiting and spending money. We need tourists more now than ever...

I'm sure you can appreciate that some people care about more than just Euros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You are living in the past if you are trying to paint the FG supporters as some kind of Monarchy lovers...I wouldn't have been excited about him coming over at all but wouldn't oppose it. If somebody wants to visit Galway and spend money then have at it. It's not like he's moving over and trying to stay illegally or bringing drugs in or something, he'd just be visiting and spending money. We need tourists more now than ever...

I wouldn't put that past him. ;)

Personally I'd rather spend my time at the Volvo in the company of Prince Harry than councillor Pádraig Conneely.

I'm sure you can appreciate that some people care about more than just Euros.

See how much food your ideals will get you. I know what you are saying but when it comes down to it, we aren't in the early 1900's anymore or even the 80's. Civilization has advanced hugely since even the 80's. It seems to me the majority of Irish people have long since realized extremism isn't the answer and can work within democratic means. People in Ireland have grown a large sense of entitlment you just have to browse this site to figure that out, what people think are their "human rights" is unreal. Right now in Ireland we all want to work and take care of ourselves and to do that we needs jobs and money. Tourism creates jobs. Prince Harry coming here, whether you like him or not would bring in even more tourists.

Also Prince Harry did not do anything against the Irish people. If my dad was in the IRA I wouldn't be happy with people assuming I was in some way responsible for his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

be careful if he tries to use sterling money. I heard a sasanach coin can burn a hole through an Irish man's hand.

See how much food your ideals will get you. I know what you are saying but when it comes down to it, we aren't in the early 1900's anymore or even the 80's. Civilization has advanced hugely since even the 80's. It seems to me the majority of Irish people have long since realized extremism isn't the answer and can work within democratic means. People in Ireland have grown a large sense of entitlment you just have to browse this site to figure that out, what people think are their "human rights" is unreal. Right now in Ireland we all want to work and take care of ourselves and to do that we needs jobs and money. Tourism creates jobs. Prince Harry coming here, whether you like him or not would bring in even more tourists.

Also Prince Harry did not do anything against the Irish people. If my dad was in the IRA I wouldn't be happy with people assuming I was in some way responsible for his actions.
    I thought you might try and pin this on Republicanism. So predictable.

Here are 750, 000 people who oppose the British Army's crimes in the Middle East
    _38825847_march1300.jpg
    English people, in London, in 2003. Not "early 1900s" Ireland.

Here is the second lieutenantof the Royal Horse Guards, a regiment in the British Army
    harry260407_468x551.jpg

Here he is begging to be sent to an illegal invasion and occupation of Afghanistan

Cowardly, murdering scum. Not welcome in Galway, not welcome in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Here are 750, 000 people who oppose the British Army's crimes in the Middle East
    _38825847_march1300.jpg

Here is the second lieutenantof the Royal Horse Guards, a regiment in the British Army
    harry260407_468x551.jpg

Here he is begging to be sent to an illegal invasion and occupation of Afghanistan

You didnt want Obama here last year so i suppose given your anti war standing? Should probably tell the Brits where to stick there share of the EU bailout we got too.:rolleyes:

You didnt want Obama here last year so i suppose given your anti war standing? Should probably tell the Brits where to stick there share of the EU bailout we got too.:rolleyes:
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

_38825847_march1300.jpg

harry260407_468x551.jpg

The invasion of Afghanistan was legal.

The continued involvement of ISAF in that country is also legal and permitted by the government of that country.

British rule in Northern Ireland is also legal.
    As is the presence of British troops in that part of their kingdom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So. By your rationale, Captain Justin Kennedy Lunde of The Queen's Royal Hussars, currently serving in Helmand province, is no longer welcome in his home county of Waterford ?

That a bit rich of you is it not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Not welcome by you that is.

As you seem to be trying to portray yourself as the voice of democracy, you might kindly qualify such a statement as being your own personnel opinion.

There is over 4.5 million citizens in this state who are more than able to say who they wish to welcome to Galway and Ireland.
    They vast majority of whom do not agree with your opinion.

Not welcome by you that is.

As you seem to be trying to portray yourself as the voice of democracy, you might kindly qualify such a statement as being your own personnel opinion.

There is over 4.5 million citizens in this state who are more than able to say who they wish to welcome to Galway and Ireland.
    They vast majority of whom do not agree with your opinion.
    Thank you for clarifying that I do not hold a monopoly over the opinions of every citizen of this country. I was under the impression that you had to be at least 13 to register on here, therefore presumed that every single opinion did not need a big disclaimer attached to them to make it abundantly clear that it was an opinion. I cannot promise that I'll remember to cater for your special needs with all my future posts but I will certainly try my best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Thank you for clarifying that I do not hold a monopoly over the opinions of every citizen of this country. I was under the impression that you had to be at least 13 to register on here, therefore presumed that every single opinion did not need a big disclaimer attached to them to make it abundantly clear that it was an opinion. I cannot promise that I'll remember to cater for your special needs with all my future posts but I will certainly try my best.

You came on here, prattling on about how Prince Harry, cowardly, murdering scum, is not welcome in Galway, not welcome in Ireland.
    And how thoroughly embarrassing it is that anybody in this country could actually be impressed with him, supposedly, wanting to come here to Galway.

Those old sound bites might impress the teenage girls in the playground, but frankly it's just waffling BS. Demonstrated by the fact that when taken up on it all you can respond with is some smarmy, sarcastic BS lines that yet again fail to further your opinions.

• Advertisement

_38825847_march1300.jpg

harry260407_468x551.jpg

Republicanism is usually evident when somebody vehemently hates the Brits and implies Fine Gael supporters are somehow in bed with them. Tell me you don't support Sinn Fein! Make my day :)

Otherwise I guess it's not the Brits you hate at all? It's countries that enter into war? Is that every country that's ever entered into war? Or just the big ones?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement