Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Harry [not] coming to Galway for Volvo Ocean race

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I thought you might try and pin this on Republicanism. So predictable.

Here are 750, 000 people who oppose the British Army's crimes in the Middle East
    _38825847_march1300.jpg
    English people, in London, in 2003. Not "early 1900s" Ireland.

Here is the second lieutenantof the Royal Horse Guards, a regiment in the British Army
    harry260407_468x551.jpg

Here he is begging to be sent to an illegal invasion and occupation of Afghanistan

Cowardly, murdering scum. Not welcome in Galway, not welcome in Ireland.

I'm not sure I have ever seen so many mistakes in one short post!

Firstly, the picture you describe as "people who oppose the British Army's crimes in the Middle East" are actually people who opposed the British Government's decision to participate in the Second Iraq War. I am very certain that the majority (which included former servicemen) had no ill feeling towards the members of the British Armed Forces being sent to Iraq by the Labour government. Furthermore, seeing as the particular picture was taken before the invasion, it is simply not possible that they are opposing war crimes carried out by British servicemen.

Secondly, there is no such thing as an illegal invasion and occupation of Afghanistan. I believe however you are referring to, and I quote, the "NATO led security mission in Afghanistan established by the UNSC on 20 December 2001 by Resolution 1386 as envisaged by the Bonn Agreement". You may also want to remember that the Irish Permanent Defence Force is an active contributor of soldiers to the mission. Are Irish military personnel still allowed to visit Galway?

Thirdly, there is no longer a regiment named the Royal Horse Guards. There has not been a regiment named the RHG for decades. Prince Harry joined the Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons). Added to that there is no rank of second lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, so you were wrong there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Can we go back to the substantive point maybe? Does no-one mind at all that Cllr. Conneely has been caught out blatantly lying?
    On Thursday, there's this:
    The process of bringing the Prince to Galway was set in train some weeks ago by Fine Gael councillor Pádraig Conneely, who was mayor during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in 2009. Cllr Conneely has maintained contact with the crews and organisers of the event since his tenure as mayor, and was informed that the British royal was a strong supporter of the ocean race.
    I have kept in touch with many of the people I met during the last event in 2009, some of whom know Prince Harry personally,” Cllr Conneely told the Galway Advertiser. “It was suggested to me that he would warmly welcome the opportunity to come to Galway for the finale.”
    Cllr Conneely subsequently made enquiries through the British diplomatic service and was in contact with the Taoiseach’s office to notify them of the circumstances. Since then the Fine Gael councillor has learned that there has been “engagement at the highest diplomatic level, and it is just a matter of protocol before a visit is confirmed”.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/51349/volvo-gets-royal-boost-as-prince-harry-keen-to-attend-galway-finale
    Then on Friday we have this:
    CITY COUNCILLOR DISAPPOINTED OVER PRINCE HARRY HOAX
    April 20, 2012 - 12:10pm
    The City Councillor who announced that Prince Harry was to visit Galway this Summer says he's 'disappointed' the letter from Buckingham palace is a hoax.
    City Council received a letter with a Buckingham letter head last week, outlining that Prince Harry was interested in visiting Galway during the Volvo Ocean race finale.
    However, a spokesperson for the Royal family has confirmed to Galway Bay FM News that there 'are no plans for the Prince to visit Galway'.
    Councillor Padraig Conneely says it's disappointing news.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25426-city-councillor-disappointed-over-prince-harry-hoax
    So, it's his initiative one day and he's the victim of a hoax the next?
    Is it acceptable for an elected politician to blatantly lie because it's only showing off and sure, it's only Conneely?
    Oh, alright so, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Can we go back to the substantive point maybe? Does no-one mind at all that Cllr. Conneely has been caught out blatantly lying?
    The process of bringing the Prince to Galway was set in train some weeks ago by Fine Gael councillor Pádraig Conneely, who was mayor during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in 2009. Cllr Conneely has maintained contact with the crews and organisers of the event since his tenure as mayor, and was informed that the British royal was a strong supporter of the ocean race.
    I have kept in touch with many of the people I met during the last event in 2009, some of whom know Prince Harry personally,” Cllr Conneely told the Galway Advertiser. “It was suggested to me that he would warmly welcome the opportunity to come to Galway for the finale.”
    Cllr Conneely subsequently made enquiries through the British diplomatic service and was in contact with the Taoiseach’s office to notify them of the circumstances. Since then the Fine Gael councillor has learned that there has been “engagement at the highest diplomatic level, and it is just a matter of protocol before a visit is confirmed”.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/51349/volvo-gets-royal-boost-as-prince-harry-keen-to-attend-galway-finale
    The City Councillor who announced that Prince Harry was to visit Galway this Summer says he's 'disappointed' the letter from Buckingham palace is a hoax.
    City Council received a letter with a Buckingham letter head last week, outlining that Prince Harry was interested in visiting Galway during the Volvo Ocean race finale.
    However, a spokesperson for the Royal family has confirmed to Galway Bay FM News that there 'are no plans for the Prince to visit Galway'.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25426-city-councillor-disappointed-over-prince-harry-hoax
    Is it acceptable for an elected politician to blatantly lie because it's only showing off and sure, it's only Conneely?

Water off a duck's back for a man like Padraig Conneely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Politician in outlandish claim shocker, what next. Par for the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Am I the only one who is glad he is NOT coming? My main reason being tightened security. The last thing I want is to be quizzed by half a dozen goons in cheap suits when all I want to do is sit on me feckin' boat and have a BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Ah sure Conneely will have his picture in the Galway papers standing next to random objects around the city again and get the people of Galway back on his side.

Being honest, when I first heard the news that Prince Harry was to visit I thought that it would be a good thing, showing that we had moved on a bit as a country, especially Galway as it is a city of tourism and diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

"Galway- Windsor free since 1903"

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-day-the-british-king-arrived-drunk-for-his-grand-tour-of-dublin-2547200.html

The royal motor wasn't up to the roads of west Galway it looks like. Seeming as he's originally from Connemara, Cllr Conneely missed the potentially best photo opportunity of the last century......

"Local Councillor rescues royal family, critcizies County Council for failing to deal with potholes"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

"Galway- Windsor free since 1903"

Windsor are just of the Monivea road, been there since 94 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hildegaarde steps in. I take it she told Conneely to shuddup this time. :)

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25526-invitation-royal-family-wake-galway-hoax
    "We would – and did – treat that request, which we now know was a hoax, with the strictest of confidence for obvious security reasons. "

She did ....but Pádraig 'Security Breach' Conneely didn't.
    "Let’s Do Global, confirmed that the invitation to the British royal family had been posted"
    Ahhhh. :D
    Does no-one mind at all that Cllr. Conneely has been caught out blatantly lying?
    The process of bringing the Prince to Galway was set in train some weeks ago by Fine Gael councillor Pádraig Conneely, who was mayor during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in 2009.
    Cllr Conneely subsequently made enquiries through the British diplomatic service and was in contact with the Taoiseach’s office to notify them of the circumstances.
    "The City Councillor who announced that Prince Harry was to visit Galway this Summer says he's 'disappointed' the letter from Buckingham palace is a hoax.
    City Council received a letter with a Buckingham letter head last week, outlining that Prince Harry was interested in visiting Galway during the Volvo Ocean race finale."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

he's not coming
    better all round
    end of! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

The invasion of Afghanistan was legal.

was/is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not entirely sure how you managed to find this old thread but if you want to argue about British presence in Afghanistan an old Volvo Ocean race thread in Galway city forum isn't the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement