Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZIPS ON GROBAGS

Options
  • 19-04-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Evening, I am due my first in September and have been looking at grobags and was hoping for some advice from all the experienced parents here, so I gather that you should use cellular blankets for the first couple of months when baby is small but it is OK to move onto grobags then? I have been looking at the different grobags, the different togs, prices and differnt places zips are on them, would anyone like to share which they believe is best?
    Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

HI I loved gro-bags. I began using them from about 3months. I found the ones with the zip down the middle best, as aby could be put in them asleeep/ Other ones have poppers in shoulder, harder to put baby into in my opinion.
    For first baby I had 3 grobags. 2 *2.5 tog, (one on one spare). and one in lighter tog 1.0 for day sleeps or summer nights. ( I had to use 1tog in winter once and put a blanket over it. My kids were both tall so I used 6-18month size very quickly. (Dont buy too many smaller size) If baby was sick high temp or it was warm I would leave off pj bottoms.
    Both my kids could walk very easily in them from 1.5yrs. I stopped using them after this. My sister used them til her guy was over 2.
    Best of luck enjoy:)

BTW tk maxx always have grobag brand at very good value.
    Mothercare have sale on them at moment,
    I bought grobag one online too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I love gro bags....I have the ones where you zip around the bottom and up the side rather than down the middle. I open it all the way out...pop the baby in, zip it up, fasten the popper at the top and hey presto....he's snug as a bug for the night :D

I've used them from the beginning...you can get small ones for up to three months. I can't remember what tog they are....he's sleeping in one now so I'm not disturbing him so I'll post it in the morning ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I love the grobags and second txmaxx as a good place to get them although I also like the dunnes ones (dunnes are sized very small so buy bigger than you think you need).

I like the poppers or when the zip "ends" at the bottom as this allows easier access to bums for middle of the night nappy changes. Of course that depends on if our child is one that needs nappy changes at night. These babies will insist on being individuals just to thwart all our planning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got ones from boots and dunnes and was quite happy with them until I got a grobag and there's no comparison especially for winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

smyths had grobags for 9.99 the other day!

the dunnes ones are very small, E had outgrown the 0 to 6 months ones by 3months...

love the grobabgs though, very very handy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just so I'm reassured - you just have a sleep suit underneath and so that's all that's on arms? Long sleeve vest or short? Tried it only one night and gave up cos decided her arms and hands were freezing... Maybe my house is cold! Went back to swaddling then but now she keeps waking up unable to pass wind so think the freedom to move may help her sleep better!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

We got one as a present from my aunt ... I rang my husband to tell him ... He thought it was for growing tomatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I use the grobag brand one with zip and cover on the side. I initially only really got it for trips to grandparents house, to save carrying a load of blankets with us on the train. It is absolutely brilliant, especially since she has been kicking off the blankets and waking herself up as it is cold.

I use a 2.5 tog grobag with a long sleeve vest and pyjamas. I use just a long sleeve vest with it during the summer, or short sleeve vest with pyjamas if it is a cooler evening. E is almost 17 months old and will be out of her 6-18 month one in the next few weeks. I will definitely be getting another for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Lola92 wrote: »
    I use the grobag brand one with zip and cover on the side. I initially only really got it for trips to grandparents house, to save carrying a load of blankets with us on the train. It is absolutely brilliant, especially since she has been kicking off the blankets and waking herself up as it is cold.

I use a 2.5 tog grobag with a long sleeve vest and pyjamas. I use just a long sleeve vest with it during the summer, or short sleeve vest with pyjamas if it is a cooler evening. E is almost 17 months old and will be out of her 6-18 month one in the next few weeks. I will definitely be getting another for her.
    Lidi have them this week. They are great zip up the middle and chin guard on them. I put her Ina normal cotton baby grow and a blanket which she kicks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

On cold nights a long sleeve vest and baby gro and a short sleeve best and baby gro on milder nights. In the summer just a baby gro.

dublinlady wrote: »
    Just so I'm reassured - you just have a sleep suit underneath and so that's all that's on arms? Long sleeve vest or short? Tried it only one night and gave up cos decided her arms and hands were freezing... Maybe my house is cold! Went back to swaddling then but now she keeps waking up unable to pass wind so think the freedom to move may help her sleep better!

I put a vest on baby then a babygro, from the age of 6-9months I used pyjamas/ (Husband hated babygro s as they so hard to button). So vest then pj top and bottom.
    If it was very hot or if baby had a temp I would leave the pj bottoms off.
    If baby was very very hot I would just have a long sleeved vest under grobag. Or I would use 1.0 tog grobag.
    But usually a vest and pjs. Apparently its no big deal if their hands feel cold. (It freaks Nana out though:rolleyes:)

So its a bit trial and error, I'm sure you'll make your own decisions as needed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

I actually prefer the Dunnes ones to the Grobags, think they're cosier (tho' agree that they are small-sized) and find the side zips and poppers at shoulder much easier to put on (especially if Baba is asleep already!) than when they just have the zip down the middle. Also, the side zip is much handier for checking if she's wet during the night, can slip hand in and do a quick check front and back! The main advantage of the Grobags is the size, that they go up to 36 months, my daughter is a big 20 months and will soon have outgrown the Dunnes 18-23 months ones and I don't think they do a bigger size. I also always had 3 on the go, one on, one (usually) in the wash/drying and one ready to go in case we had a leaking nappy. Was trying to manage with just 2 but the tumble drier was going constantly so decided it was probably easier and cheaper just to get another one in Dunnes.

Last summer I switched to 1 tog (got them in Dunnes) and she seemed warm enough in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

thanks for all the replies, I got a non-grobag one in tk maxx last week and one from lidl but will have to check out the grobag branded ones in tk-maxx as well, cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Our house is freezing,
    I got a sleeved non-grobag in tk max about a year ago. Its massive, but the bottom folds up to make it shorter and the arms zip off too. Its seems to be an American brand going by the writing. I'd love another one but I never saw them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Used them from birth to almost two on the twins. Fantastic. Agree with poster above about the zip on the bottom for night nappy changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We use the zip on the bottom ones as well.. Got them in ikea. Have some other ones as well with poppers on the top, but they are not as good.

What we put on underneath depends on the air temp and the tog of the bag. They come with instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got this one from Amazon recently
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GHUNOE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

A lot cheaper than buying them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 on the gro bags.

Our little man always kicked off blankets straight away so it wasn't really a choice.

Plus, gro bags seem 'safer' (no danger of them going over the baby's head once it's the right size).

Advertisement