Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip advise please.

Options
  • 25-02-2009 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Posts moved from GAA thread to here. The OP, RGM, is looking for some trip advise for when they come's out 9th June :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I'll be making my first trip to Donegal, my grandfather's birthplace, in mid-June (9th-19th) and I was wondering if I'll be able to catch some Gaelic football while I'm there? When does the season run?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

you will definitely be able to take in some matches then, the season will be in full flow. you might even be able to take in an inter-county match, regarded as the highest standard. you could check out fixtures for around those dates on gaa.ie I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

intercounty championship is the main prize in gaelic football, there is the 4 provincial titles which feed into the all Ireland series in a knockout format. Donegal are reigning ulster champions and start against Cavan on May 20th. We should win that (cavan are currently managerless and just avoided relegation from Division 3). On the 16th June we would then play Derry in a repeat of last years final.

I think Derry were drawn first so odds are the game will be in Celtic Park, Derry... not sure if it will sell out Redsoxfan might be a better judge there. Keep an eye on tickets.ie's gaa section after the cavan game

Club games seem to be mostly hurling (which isnt very strongly followed here) during those dates. Link here, the dates can be set at the top incase it resets.

Id also recomend the Donegal International Rally 15-17th if you are into that too. its one of just 2, 3 day events in Ireland or the UK now. (the other being WRC rally GB). Friday would be your best bet there (a lot of retirements over the weekend), then take in the GAA satuday... although if you cant get tickets to the GAA the view from the top of the Knockalla hillclimb on a sunny day is spectacular (first pic here didnt get time to really look for better) (and if its not sunny its bloody freezing!)

overshoot wrote: »
    On the 16th June we would then play Derry in a repeat of last years final.

I think Derry were drawn first so odds are the game will be in Celtic Park, Derry... not sure if it will sell out Redsoxfan might be a better judge there. Keep an eye on tickets.ie's gaa section after the cavan game

That would be perfect. I've got a cousin on the squad and I was hoping to get out and see him in action. Is it likely to be played during the day or at night, do you know?
    Id also recomend the Donegal International Rally 15-17th if you are into that too. its one of just 2, 3 day events in Ireland or the UK now. (the other being WRC rally GB). Friday would be your best bet there (a lot of retirements over the weekend), then take in the GAA satuday... although if you cant get tickets to the GAA the view from the top of the Knockalla hillclimb on a sunny day is spectacular (first pic here didnt get time to really look for better) (and if its not sunny its bloody freezing!)

I'll definitely look into that, thanks, though I might not be in the area until later Friday. Nothing set in stone, but for now it's looking like arrive from Galway Friday, leave for Dublin Monday.

I don't want to muddle up this thread with tourist questions, is there a section on these boards for that sort of thing - accommodation suggestions, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

RGM wrote: »
    That would be perfect. I've got a cousin on the squad and I was hoping to get out and see him in action. Is it likely to be played during the day or at night, do you know?
    itll be saturday evening i'd say and it is in derry, depends on beating cavan 1st though.
    I'll definitely look into that, thanks, though I might not be in the area until later Friday. Nothing set in stone, but for now it's looking like arrive from Galway Friday, leave for Dublin Monday.

I don't want to muddle up this thread with tourist questions, is there a section on these boards for that sort of thing - accommodation suggestions, etc.?
    try this thread and be prepared for very busy roads, towns and accomodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

if you asked your cousin he will also be able to get you tickets. they are distributed through local clubs also and he could put your name down with whoever is in charge. if you were coming in with no connections/idea how things work online would be the easiest.

again though all the advice will be useless if they dont beat Cavan

edit - seen as its out of the gaa (although it had been me who pulled it off a bit...)
    rally tends to run from early morning, if you arrive late afternoon it might not be worth your while, by the time you would park/walk you could end up with just the one stage. Also, on sunday, by then many are already out/ no mans land with nothing to race for and its not always as good to watch. I would definately look at the route regardless however as it will have roads all around the county closed for a few hours and you may need to plan accordingly for sightseeing basic movement if you are in the North of the county. Letterkenny will be manic as the service area is based there. 50-70,000 attend it, although it may take a hit with the IRC event a few weeks ago

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    try this thread and be prepared for very busy roads, towns and accomodation

Those marked maps will come in handy. I don't mind a bit of activity, my main worry driving will be making sure I stay on the right side of the road (the correct side, that is :D).

I picked out a hostel in Dunfanaghy, but I wanted to give it a few more days of checking around before making any firm decisions. There seem to be a few decent options to choose from, but my grandfather was from Creeslough so I figured Dunfanaghy was about right. Now that this is a separate thread, any hostel and/or budget accommodation recommendations for someone traveling alone?
    overshoot wrote: »
    if you asked your cousin he will also be able to get you tickets. they are distributed through local clubs also and he could put your name down with whoever is in charge. if you were coming in with no connections/idea how things work online would be the easiest.

again though all the advice will be useless if they dont beat Cavan

I will be reaching out to the family, but I haven't yet met most of them and I didn't want to impose anything. As you say, this is all still a bit down the line so... Here's hoping Cavan goes down easy!

Is there anywhere I can buy Donegal GAA gear? Love to pick up a t-shirt or scarf or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

you'll not be far from letterkenny....go into any sports store there and you will be able to pick something up

Advertisement