Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard of this berry (thai - "apen"/"appon") ?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭

I was in a thai restaurant tonight where I came across these small green berries in my curry. They tasted lovely but I am unable to find out what they are.

We asked the server who said they were "apen" or "appon" berries. I am not 100% sure. The only way I can describe them is that they were slightly darker than peas and they looked exactly like blueberries.

Does anyone have any idea what the proper name is or where I could find them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I was in a thai restaurant tonight where I came across these small green berries in my curry. They tasted lovely but I am unable to find out what they are.

We asked the server who said they were "apen" or "appon" berries. I am not 100% sure. The only way I can describe them is that they were slightly darker than peas and they looked exactly like blueberries.

Does anyone have any idea what the proper name is or where I could find them?

Would it have been these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_torvum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

agrif06 wrote: »

Could be... It's hard to tell looking at those photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Could be... It's hard to tell looking at those photos.

This is the best pic I could find with google. I've had them in thai curries previously but I don't know where you could get them.

This is the best pic I could find with google. I've had them in thai curries previously but I don't know where you could get them.

and when you had these berries, did you think that the skin was a little tougher than a black berry yet the texture inside them was almost identical?

It was a lovely curry. There was also sprigs of fresh peppercorns like the ones here that gave you a burst of heat when you bit into them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Piper_nigrum_W_IMG_2444.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They were probably Baby Egg Plant - a staple veg in thai curries.

• Advertisement

I think that might be it. Can I pick that and the sprigs of fresh peppercorns up in the Asian supermarkets? Would love to try and somewhat replicate the dish.

EDIT : "aypen" is starting to sound more and more like "egg plant" now that I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

"aypen" is starting to sound more and more like "egg plant" now that I think about it.
    :D (Rove you rong time!)

:D (Rove you rong time!)

Ohh god talk about an embarrassing post :o

Seen as this is a food section... the restaurant in question is Baan Thai. Amazing food, good atmosphere and great service. Definitely worth a visit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Can I pick that and the sprigs of fresh peppercorns up in the Asian supermarkets? Would love to try and somewhat replicate the dish.

Asia market in drury street sell them. they are great in most thai dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have had these before and have always known them as pea aubergines.

You also get Thai aubergines which are usually green, about the size of a golf ball or slightly smaller, and don't look much like what we know as an aubergine/eggplant. They're usually quartered when used in Thai dishes and not whole though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    I have had these before and have always known them as pea aubergines.

All the same thing.

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement