Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Valuation

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal practice these days for estate agents to use Google Maps to view a house and give a valuation based on the image they see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only if they are bone idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

google maps are not up to date and by the way what they look on google maps for property valuation?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

bijou wrote: »
    Hi

Was just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal practice these days for estate agents to use Google Maps to view a house and give a valuation based on the image they see?

How could they possibly value a house without seeing the inside of it?

Based on a family member having 2 valuations done of a house over the last few months for probate purposes, it involves ringing the EA who arranges a time for inspection, calls and views the place. They'll usually give an indicative valuation immediately (EA dependent, 1 did 1 did not) and then later send you a report. Fee was 200 EUR in both cases. It's free just to get a valuation for selling, but you wouldn't get the report.

If it's a local EA and they've sold houses in the area recently they can usually give and idea of value range over the phone. EA's in a particular area are usually connected in to one another so will now what one an other got also (unofficially so might not be 100% accurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks Guys,

I thought it rather odd myself. The image of the property is like 2 years old so obviously things are slightly different looking now. The agent made the assumption from the image on google maps that it was a 3 bed house when it's actually a 5 bed.

I think it's because he's a good distance away from where we are that maybe he couldn't be bothered actually making the trip.

Needless to say I'm getting a couple of others in to compare his "assumptions":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Thanks Guys,

I thought it rather odd myself. The image of the property is like 2 years old so obviously things are slightly different looking now. The agent made the assumption from the image on google maps that it was a 3 bed house when it's actually a 5 bed.

I think it's because he's a good distance away from where we are that maybe he couldn't be bothered actually making the trip.

Needless to say I'm getting a couple of others in to compare his "assumptions":rolleyes:

In my opinion if an EA is getting circa €150 for a simple job the least they can do is get off their arse and go out and do it...Thats a day and a halfs wages to most !!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

Thanks Guys,

Not that it matters but what's the purpose of the valuation. Personally, I would never give a valuation without inspecting a property inside and out nor do i think my PI insurance would cover me in case of a comeback if I didn't carry out an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

msbrobe wrote: »
    Not that it matters but what's the purpose of the valuation. Personally, I would never give a valuation without inspecting a property inside and out nor do i think my PI insurance would cover me in case of a comeback if I didn't carry out an inspection.

Well the purpose was to test the water (so to speak) with a possible view to putting it on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

Well the purpose was to test the water (so to speak) with a possible view to putting it on the market.

In that case I would definitely be looking elsewhere for an agent - I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anyone who didn't even come and look at the property!

Advertisement