Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog halts thief and now faces death

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The 41-year-old who is from the Finglas area is well known to gardai for burglary and drug offences. It is understood that he has been battling a heroin addiction for many years.
    and yet out and about the place freely. How can you be "well know to gardai for x and y" and still be allowed your freedom? Scum, he got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That is one fugly dog. But no seriously this is what dogs were meant to do, protect the tribe, the poor little creature was only acting according to its training and breeding. It should get a nice run on the beach and a good steak dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Didnt just stop him though it took his flippin hand off and had to be pepper sprayed to get him off. I know the guy should have been in the garden and I've not much sympathy for him considering the theft but if it was a kid looking for a lost ball what would ya say ?

Thats one dangerous animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

thats a fcuking joke , he was defending his territory ,

Also I think this is just some stupid media stunt , a dog can only be ordered to be destroyed by a judge there was no mention of that , and if that scumbag takes a case and wins its disgracefull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Scott medal for the dog

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    That is one fugly dog.

Would you say that to his face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't the thieving scumbag face death instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Where does it say the dog will be put down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

darokane wrote: »
    Where does it say the dog will be put down?

it's standard procedure for any dog that attacks a person (apart from police dogs of course)

maybe he shouldn't have been in the fcuking garden if he didn't want his hand taken off him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hang on a minute whilst I say a quick rosary for the thief.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dog should be put down on the list of heroes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hope he does lose the hand. Too many of these scumbags walking round. Few more shot and savaged would be great

it's standard procedure for any dog that attacks a person (apart from police dogs of course)

True but i think it will be overlooked in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Although most of us are happy the dog managed to stop a thief, the reality is that a person jumped a fence and was attacked by an animal. It could easily have been a child or an innocent neighbor retrieving a ball. Would you want that dog living next door to your family?

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Although most of us are happy the dog managed to stop a thief, the reality is that a person jumped a fence and was attacked by an animal. It could easily have been a child or an innocent neighbor retrieving a ball. Would you want that dog living next door to your family?

Don't trespass on other peoples property

darokane wrote: »
    True but i think it will be overlooked in this case

What's the bets he'll sue and get handsomely rewarded ?

The theif, not the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

They'll have trouble putting handcuffs on him when he gets out anyway.

Fairplay the dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you inject yourself with one hand?
    Maybe the dog did him a favour and he'll be able to get off the gear.

Yes that would be fine and I'd tell my family not to go in there

• Advertisement

MungBean wrote: »
    What's the bets he'll sue and get handsomely rewarded ?

Of course he will, he's a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

The dog is a hero, the owner should get compensation for the stress and put the junkie scumbag down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Or it could have been Hitler.

Are you saying he would be wrong to bite Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bluewolf wrote: »
    Kids are pretty stupid and do daft things, (I know I was one), so paying little heed to a parent's warning means they are fair game for a mauling?

If that had been the case, I'd be pretty disfigured by now. Fact is most kids learn by 1 part accident, 1 part parental guidance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

jhegarty wrote: »
    Or it could have been Hitler.

Are you saying he would be wrong to bite Hitler.

Hitler's days of jumping fences are long over.

A lot of families live with dogs "like that" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm quite happy about the thief getting attacked. But i am a little uneasy about having dogs in society capable of ripping a mans hand off. I see no purpose for those dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I thought pitbulls were illegal in Ireland? edit/ Afaik as soon as they start biting or attacking someone they won't stop and that's why they're so dangerous, even if they seemed good tempered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

A new law should be brought out stating that if you knowingly trespass and are attacked by a family pet on your head or in this case hand be it. A dog sees anyone strange coming into its owners property what is it going to do but attack to protect its home. It's the dog's home too after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

woodoo wrote: »
    I'm quite happy about the thief getting attacked. But i am a little uneasy about having dogs in society capable of ripping a mans hand off. I see no purpose for those dogs.

All dogs are capable of ripping off a mans hand :confused: Probably a guard dog doing as it was trained to do

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Kids are pretty stupid and do daft things, (I know I was one), so paying little heed to a parent's warning means they are fair game for a mauling?

If that had been the case, I'd be pretty disfigured by now. Fact is most kids learn by 1 part accident, 1 part parental guidance.

The dog was under control in a private garden, no law against that
    If a parent is stupid enough to let their kids in that garden then the parents obviously dont have the cop on to have kids in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    That is one fugly dog. But no seriously this is what dogs were meant to do, protect the tribe, the poor little creature was only acting according to its training and breeding. It should get a nice run on the beach and a good steak dinner.

Its not the actual hero dog, its just an image of a pitbull that the hedild pulled off the interweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

That dog is awesome. I'm currently fighting with my OH about this - she is of the "what if it was a child" brigade, but my reply is that in this instance, the dog successfully defended its owner and territory from a dangerous thief, and it's commendable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I thought pitbulls were illegal in Ireland?

They aren't illegal but they are a listed dog which have special documentation and have to be muzzled in public.

bluewolf wrote: »

What if it got out and came into your garden ? Or god forbid your kids didnt listen and climbed a fence (been known to happen).

I've seen what vicious dogs can do when they escape, seen one tear Jack Russell to pieces literally. Seen the results of two dogs attacking a kid who ran through a neighbours garden, left him with some pretty horrific injuries. And these weren't Pitbulls which are bred to do damage either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I want that dogs puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It says nowhere in the article that the dog will be destroyed.

I doubt it will be either.

Unless some no good dogooder starts whinging about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Well the dog wasn't in society. He was in someone's home.

The dog should be allowed to keep the hand as a reward. Finders keepers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The scumbag thief should be put down by a qualified vet and the execution broadcast on Dog TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

All dogs have the capability to rip a man's hand off, just like all humans have the capability of causing serious injury/death to others. It becomes a problem when owners can't control that agression, or when the breed is bred for that purpose.

• Advertisement

I have a miniature poodle and a staffordshire bull terrier, guess which one wants to attack everything that moves, the tiny poodle, I know she is not as big or as strong but she would bite you in an instant. Is there a place for tiny dogs in society ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I thought pitbulls were illegal in Ireland?

Just on the restricted list i think. Muzzle at all times in public, not kept in presence of u16s etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

2qk4u wrote: »
    I have a miniature poodle and a staffordshire bull terrier, guess which one wants to attack everything that moves, the tiny poodle, I know she is not as big or as strong but she would bite you in an instant. Is there a place for tiny dogs in society ?

Which would do more damage if it snapped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd imagine, knowing the breed that the dog would have given plenty of warning. Barks, growls, snarls, show of teeth, jumping up and down, 360's etc... Enough to put off any sane ball retriever. Obviously the thief looked at the Gardai on his tail, looked at the dog and took a badly calculated risk. I had a car thief land in my back garden years ago where I used to live and my loyal sheepdog made mince meat of his foot before the Gardai dragged him away.

Another point. A lot of dogs will actually react differently to who barges in to their property. My present dog will happily let kids and postmen stroll through the front garden, but will get very shirty with suspicious looking people. He won't attack immediately, but he will make it very clear that the person should leave, and he will give them room to leave.

(I doubt the photo of that dog is the dog involved, clipped ears, and spiked choke chain)

Dogs aren't retarded. I've seen some friendly with kids even when they pull their tails but who'll go mental when someone who shouldn't be walking down an entry (out of sight) is.

Blay wrote: »
    Which would do more damage if it snapped?
    Sometimes I think the little ankle biter would...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

sup_dude wrote: »
    All dogs are capable of ripping off a mans hand :confused: Probably a guard dog doing as it was trained to do

Not really, while most dogs can bite and probably attack people, pitbulls were bred as a war dog and are especially aggressive. They've attacked and killed kids in the past so it's not all about what they're trained to do, they have often turned on their owners moreso than other breeds.

Not really, while most dogs can bite and probably attack people, pitbulls were bred as a war dog and are especially aggressive. They've attacked and killed kids in the past so it's not all about what they're trained to do, they have often turned on their owners moreso than other breeds.

Wrong, That's like saying all Irish people are alcoholics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I know, pitbulls are bred to be nasty but all dogs can take off a persons' hand if they really wanted to, or at least do serious damage.

EDIT: I mean there's ones that are bred to fight (which is wrong on every level)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

What are you talking about? Pittys are renowned for NOT attacking their owners, that's why they're are used as fighting dogs, they're dog aggressive, not human aggressive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement