Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog halts thief and now faces death

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Due to the reason for the attack in the article that this thread is about, I wouldn't consider it a "chance" or point of concern to still have a dog that attacked under those circumstances.

The articles you linked are very different to it. Those dogs should clearly be put down.

he took a man's hand off - and that's excessive. Dog needs to be put down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

cowzerp wrote: »
    Most people would have no clue what a pitbull looked like! Except you as your ignorance leads me to believe you would know :rolleyes:

What most people think are pitbulls are Staffies, Boxers, Sharpei's or any dog with a Mastiff type look on it.
    gatecrash wrote: »
    Chances are that the dog in this case isn't even a bullbreed.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Seriously... have a go of this game Sponge Bob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given dogs are 1st cousins of one of the top apex predators on the planet I'm shocked/impressed attacks are pretty rare. Attacks of this kind even rarer. Pet cats are often more into scraping and even biting, but they don't do nearly so much damage, so we tend to ignore it. Then again I recall someone on Boards whose cat foiled a burglary by going all I am Godzilla, you are Japan on a scumbag. Go cat! Years supply of fresh cod for you. :)

As for the "killer breeds" stuff. There are some fierce handwringers easily impressed by shock headlines written by uninformed hacks out in the world and quick to call for all dogs to be villified on the back of rare situations like this one. Well except for tiny "handbag" yappers, neutered by inbreeding.

Dogs are territorial. It's their thing(it's ours too). Very very few dogs would ignore an adult stranger suddenly hopping over their garden wall. Many would run away, most would bark and some would go for the moving target. This goes for all breeds of dogs. Some individual dogs are more prey driven and more aggressive. This can come down to certain breeds, but "pitbulls" are no better or worse. Dobermans or working German shepherds would be more full on IMHO. Both would have higher capacities for damage too. Something like an Irish wolfhound, one of the most placid yokes you could meet would do significantly more damage again if pushed.

My take is if a child or any innocent party is hurt and the dog pressed an attack without warning - and yes that can happen. I've seen it with my own two eyes - then sorry next stop the vets. However if some intruder gets taken out while on my property then that's the chance they take and I'll shed no tears. When the Guards are shortstaffed and underfunded, when prisons are over subscribed and judges seem to be smoking Morrocan woodbines considering the daft sentences handed out, then I will defend me and mine with anything I've got. If my dog attacked an intruder, even killed him(which he'd physically be capable of) I'd shed no tears TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What most people think are pitbulls are Staffies, Boxers, Sharpei's or any dog with a Mastiff type look on it.
    +1. You know I don't think I've ever even met a pitbull in Ireland and I've been around dogs all my life. The others you mention yes, but not a pitbull. They seem to be pretty rare in my experience anyway. :confused:
    Most people would have no clue what a pitbull looked like! Except you as your ignorance leads me to believe you would know :rolleyes:
    Yea like most people think every husky looks like a wolf. My mate has one I sweeaaar. I pretty much guarantee you could walk a wild Italian wolf down the street and few would bat an eyelid, yet some would have an apoplexy if they saw a Malumute.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea like most people think every husky looks like a wolf. My mate has one I sweeaaar. I pretty much guarantee you could walk a wild Italian wolf down the street and few would bat an eyelid, yet some would have an apoplexy if they saw a Malumute.

My dog is half lab half staff.

Depending on what has his attention (and therefore his ears positioning), people either see him as a lab and are all "AWWWW" (forward flopping) or scared of him (ears back).

The irony being of course thats staffs by and large are probably more gentle than labs. People don't know anything about dogs. At least I know I don't know anything about them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

It's not proof that kids get are getting attacked going into back gardens at all, It's typical grasping at straws posting that means nothing in the context of what the thread is about.

Who said it was proof kids were going in to back gardens ? You made the point that a dogs are not just maniacs that want kiddies blood, that they can differentiate between an innocent and malicious intruder.

Those links show that some dogs dont just attack intruders they also attack when excited even if its an innocent kid posing no threat to the dog. Its not grasping at straws its a direct response to something you said. Dont try weasel out of it.
    I also never said they don't pose a threat to kids, i said the kids stuff is bs and it does not happen that kids get mauled following their balls into gardens. then you post links up about anti social dogs that are attacking in a totally different scenario to 1 that is defending it's home.

You inferred as does everyone else that the fact that the dog attacked this guy doesnt mean it would have attacked a kid. Saying they know the difference between an intruder and innocent kid. Once again those links show that thats bullshít, I dont care who feels a connection with their dog or claims how smart it is the facts are dogs are unpredictable and some of them, not all of them but some of them turn wicked. I'd say ripping someone's hand off is a pretty strong indication that the dog isnt to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

it's standard procedure for any dog that attacks a person (apart from police dogs of course)
    darokane wrote: »
    True but i think it will be overlooked in this case

Should be-poor little chap was just doing an animals version of a citizens arrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I find hearing stories of kids hopping over fences trespassing are more-so from disadvantaged areas where the parents just let their toe rags for kids run riot of the neighbourhood. Horrible generalisation of course but most people will agree with me. More well-to-do areas tend to have much nicer, polite, well manner kids.
    Probably one of the snobbiest comments I've read. Of course by your logic, by living in a disadvantaged area, the owners of the dogs are themselves most likely toerags too, or does having a pet somehow rise you above the untermenschen?

Dogs as a rule will generally not attack unless specifically trained to do so or cornered, and that is true for most animals. Fighting is risky business and even on their own territory most will use other means to avoid it. Barking, growling, baring teeth etc. Only then will there be any sort of attack and usually it is brief. Most adults can spot the warning signs and back away but kids aren't always so wise. I've seen it myself.

However in this case, it was a full-on attack and mauling and that it why it is unacceptable. There's a distinction between me giving a scumbag a few belts and slamming his head repeatedly into the pavement. One is justifiable force and self-defence, the other is uncontrolled violence - regardless of who it is directed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Probably one of the snobbiest comments I've read. Of course by your logic, by living in a disadvantaged area, the owners of the dogs are themselves most likely toerags too, or does having a pet somehow rise you above the untermenschen?

Dogs as a rule will generally not attack unless specifically trained to do so or cornered, and that is true for most animals. Fighting is risky business and even on their own territory most will use other means to avoid it. Barking, growling, baring teeth etc. Only then will there be any sort of attack and usually it is brief. Most adults can spot the warning signs and back away but kids aren't always so wise. I've seen it myself.

However in this case, it was a full-on attack and mauling and that it why it is unacceptable. There's a distinction between me giving a scumbag a few belts and slamming his head repeatedly into the pavement. One is justifiable force and self-defence, the other is uncontrolled violence - regardless of who it is directed at.

I think you're kind of ignoring the context. It's fairly obvious it was a self defense reaction from the dog. The intruder was trespassing, thus the dog's territorial instinct kicking in. I couldn't care less how appalling or horrible the attack, scarred for life ?? tough s*** I say. Dogs are no where near as intelligent as humans and can't be expected analyse a situation like me or you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"the dog should be put down" is the correct answer.

+1

As a champion of the people.

My dogs are due a feed, wouldn't mind a scumbag falling over the 'ol wall, t'would save me the bother of cooking :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Holy christ on a bike!

I really didn't expect it so soon.

I said over in animals and pet issues its only a matter of time before something like this happens in Ireland in a thread I started in Animals and pet issues, while i expected a dog on the Restricted List breed to turn on its master or attack some kid in a park and not really that some person/thief running from a crime is attacked in a the owners back yard, while I have little sympathy for the thief generally, it could easily (waits for childish cries "oh will somebody please think of the children" :/) but as some posters have pointed out, this easily have been some kid going over to get a ball from that back yard, what if a Garda chasing this guy had gone after said thief and gotten mauled instead of the thief?

edit, awaits militant and stupid replies from usual respondents to animals and pet issues, such as, if some kid goes into the backgarden where a dog like this is, they deserve to have their hand chewed off!
    or maybe dogs are people too
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    Well until something like that happens here ...... stop making ignorant generalizations and tarring dogs, when parents and trespassers should know better.

Stop making ignorant generalisations??
    Something ,like that did happen! A person was attacked, Im in two minds whether I think the dog should be put down, just because the person was in the wrong/a criminal (which I have no sympathy for him) doesnt mean that a dog should be kept that if a kid going to get a ball (likely, whether they should do it or not is seperate) doesnt mean they should be liable to be mauled.
    I've seen a kid get dragged back into a graden after fetching a ball when I was a kid myself. Person across the road from us had a large alsation, ball went over, and as was mentioned earlier kids just dont think and their parents arent around to police them all the time, we knew the garden and warned the guy to leave it and he still went over, ball comes back, he got up to his waist and was dragged back down, the garden was L shaped and when he looked over he didnt see the dog/or that it was unchained. Just beacause he was a kid and didnt think doesnt mean he deserved to be attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Merch wrote: »
    Holy christ on a bike!

I really didn't expect it so soon.

I said over in animals and pet issues its only a matter of time before something like this happens in Ireland in a thread I started in Animals and pet issues, while i expected a dog on the Restricted List breed to turn on its master or attack some kid in a park and not really that some person/thief running from a crime is attacked in a the owners back yard, while I have little sympathy for the thief generally, it could easily (waits for childish cries "oh will somebody please think of the children" :/) but as some posters have pointed out, this easily have been some kid going over to get a ball from that back yard, what if a Garda chasing this guy had gone after said thief and gotten mauled instead of the thief?

edit, awaits militant and stupid replies from usual respondents to animals and pet issues, such as, if some kid goes into the backgarden where a dog like this is, they deserve to have their hand chewed off!
    or maybe dogs are people too

Stop making ignorant generalisations??
    Something ,like that did happen! A person was attacked, Im in two minds whether I think the dog should be put down, just because the person was in the wrong/a criminal (which I have no sympathy for him) doesnt mean that a dog should be kept that if a kid going to get a ball (likely, whether they should do it or not is seperate) doesnt mean they should be liable to be mauled.
    I've seen a kid get dragged back into a graden after fetching a ball when I was a kid myself. Person across the road from us had a large alsation, ball went over, and as was mentioned earlier kids just dont think and their parents arent around to police them all the time, we knew the garden and warned the guy to leave it and he still went over, ball comes back, he got up to his waist and was dragged back down, the garden was L shaped and when he looked over he didnt see the dog/or that it was unchained. Just beacause he was a kid and didnt think doesnt mean he deserved to be attacked.

The "think of the children" excuse is getting tiresome and annoying at this stage. Dogs aren't on the same level as us intellectually. As far as I'm concerned, if you hop into a back garden and risk getting mauled ... it's unfortunate, but tough s***, no matter how old you are. Not the dog's fault if he thinks you're trespassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

the link in op is broken... anyone got a new link?

edit: found it myself http://www.herald.ie/news/pitbull-tears-hand-off-thief-escaping-with-50k-in-cash-3086153.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Man someone would have fun trying to take my dog off me. Over my dead body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Perhaps he should have built a higher fence or wall.

I blamde society.

Advertisement