Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked paw pads

• 19-04-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone got any advice for an older dog with cracked pads on her paws, they are painful and she doesn't like you touching them, the vet hasn't been of any help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - if they are painful they may be infected.
    All I can suggest is to try a different vet - this can quickly get out of hand if they are let fester.

As well as treating the pads the vet should help you identify the trigger so that you can learn what to avoid - as well as maybe just being something around your home it could equally something do do with the food or any number of other causes.

Your vet may have to wrap the paws or even put on one of those shades to allow the paws to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

I'd imagine Aleo vera gel or something along the lines of that would help moisturise the skin?

That gel doesn't have any strong chemicals or anything. You can get it in heath stores like Holland and Barret if I remember correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Thanks,

Her paws aren't infected, raw or weeping, they are very, very dry, more so the front ones. She was on steroids for an unidentified immune dysfunction, in which she also lost the pigment in her nose and mouth tissue. That has all returned now, her nose and eyes are much better, a change in food also contributed to this.

The paws have deteriorated though. I will try the aloe vera. I also give her oily fish from time to time and a food supplement mixed in with her food 2-3 times a week.

Or do you mean they could be infected inside the paw.

No - sorry - just with any wound or open sore you are at risk of infection.

Maybe try the aloe vera - and keep her off hard surfaces for a while - but if the paws don't improve then try another vet.

It might also be an idea to bathe them twice daily in luke warm water with salt - and dry carefully before applying the aloe vera.

Note: my mum had to bathe her bischon's paws there a while back for a similar issue - however before doing anything - why not just ring your vet to get verbal confirmation that anything you plan to do won't make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guys pads used to wear and split before he had surgery to correct his gait - he had uneven wear on the pads so parts were completely worn down and parts were dry and cracked having never been in contact with the ground. Anyhoos one of the pads split at the edge one time and lifting up like a flap - the vet just told me to keep it covered when he was out to stop any foreign bodies getting in and causing infection so he wore a little bootie when were were out and about until it cleared up. I got some beeswax cream on zooplus but she said olive oil would soften them too.

• Advertisement

Thanks,

I was just wondering is there any tips on bathing or applying treatment to the paws, she growls at me if I touch them, as she's a rottweiler, I don't want to risk a bite, I can muzzle her of course.

Also, if using the aloe gel or similar, when do you apply it, would you put it on then put on the bootees so it'll actually get time to sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you get somebody to distract her with treats while you do it? My guy is iffy about me cutting his nails so I have somebody give him treats and he lets me get on with it - the BRAT cos he lets his friends in daycare cut them no probs!!:rolleyes: Would she leave bandages/boots on or just pull them off? Be careful if you put bandages/socks (my socks fit the dog lol) if you have tiles/wooden floors as the dog may slip - kids slipper socks are perfect for this lol. Maybe leave it until the end of the day when she's setted down for the evening?

Just finished putting Aloe Vera on her paws, while she looked on in the pure disdain that only a rotti can muster, then proceeded to lick it off!!

I do believe her expession was one of..WTF!:D

I was going to get the dog boots I saw in the pet shop, but I don't know think she'd leave them on, so perhaps just while we're walking or outside, she rest up other than that.

that just made me laugh thanks, needed that.
    can imagine my two giving me similar looks, hope the booties work out

Advertisement