Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st night with a club

• 19-04-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Completed my first night with the Western lakes in Ballinrobe this evening.

This was my fourth time ever on the bike; previously i had completed 20, 21 and 37km's, at a pretty poor 21kph average speed. Tonight we did 38km's with an avg speed of 28kph. It was brilliant!!

The whole group were great and we had the crack all the way around. I went to the front on three ocassions and I thought I did ok.
    We were about 5k out at the end and the boys just went, a bit of craic amongest themselves and try as I may, I just couldnt keep with them, but saying that, they were never out of sight (Kinda).

The group really helped me along with different pieces of advice, especially with regard to my sitting positon and my straight arms. Tips made a big difference.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I cant wait till next week.

Bring on the tour!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Oh. Do share some of those tips on here please. I am in The same sort of bracket as yourself. Commuted 15k each way to work today avg 25k. Well chuffed with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

t'bear wrote: »
    Oh. Do share some of those tips on here please. I am in The same sort of bracket as yourself. Commuted 15k each way to work today avg 25k. Well chuffed with myself

Nice one dude, fair play! That's a nice avg on your own.

It was basic stuff really i suppose:
    1. Have a bend in your elbows and tuck them in: this will take the pressure off your neck and back. I suppose essentially they're acting like shock absorbers. Keeping them tucked in i assume reduces drag and also it's a lot safer when riding in a group.
    2. Sit back on the saddle: I was practically sitting right on the front of it looking like a newbie!! By sitting back on the saddle it makes it more comfortable and it's easier to switch positions from here.
    3. Get a proper grip: two fingers on the brakes at all times!!!!! i was in the lower position (don't know what you call it) and i didnt have any fingers on the brakes, and of course suddenly a car appears and I almost backended someone.
    4. Keep your knees in: A friend of mine who's in the club told me to watch one of the others members closely, because he felt that his technique was the best one to learn from. The main thing he told me was to watch how close his legs were to the frame when he pedalled i.e. your legs aren't sticking out the side.
    5. Get shoe/boot covers: Essential kit!! Could barely feel my feet after!!
    That's all I can think of at the min; these are prob fairly basic and I hope pretty accurate.

Keep going dude, we might make the elusive/dreaded Ring of Kerry yet..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Shaunie

As the whistle blower;) I can say you will have no problem with the ROK if you keep coming out. The Thursday night spins hae got people thru it and many more events in the last few years.

By the way You have the Polka Dot beag in 4 weeks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

Esroh wrote: »
    Shaunie

As the whistle blower;) I can say you will have no problem with the ROK if you keep coming out. The Thursday night spins hae got people thru it and many more events in the last few years.

By the way You have the Polka Dot beag in 4 weeks:D

Just googled it, 80k...... I might have football that weekend;)

Cheers for last night by the way, you were keeping an eye on me at the front:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Cheers for the tip info. Appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement