Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have many leatherbound books....

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

....and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

I've been using a Kindle for a long while now, and I always said to myself that if I ever read something that I really enjoyed, that I would go ahead and purchase a nice hardcopy edition for the aul bookshelf.

Well it just so happens that I've decided to purchase a hardcopy of the book I'm currently reading and after doing some online browsing there's a ''Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics'' edition. (I have no experience of these but it looks like:))

So what are people's views on these extravagancies? Are they just a little pretentious for your liking or are they a worthy indulgence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Beautiful! And not as expensive as I imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've never seen them before, but they do look nice, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone having them on their shelves.

I tend to go for a nice hardback/first edition if I can afford it. Must look into these more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

A worthy indulgence. Actually the price is very reasonable so its not much of an indulgence.

Make sure you get a nice mahogany bookshelf for them. Go the whole hog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

So what are people's views on these extravagancies? Are they just a little pretentious for your liking or are they a worthy indulgence?

Far as I'm concerned there is nothing like having a room full of books,and these are not too expensive.....go for it.
    I have started buying books from subterranean press,signed and limited editions.I have bought about 4 so far.My most expensive was €130 :o

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SP&Category_Code=B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I completely indulge in book buying, even when I'm unsure I'm actually going to read a particular book. There are a few ways you can justify it - usually, for me, I say I'm building up a "reference library", which isn't altogether untrue.

The easier way, though, is to look at other peoples' spending habits. Some people are perfectly happy to spend €50,000 on a car - and it's never really considered over-indulgence. I say buy a car for €30,000 instead - and spend €20,000 on your library. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Having €20,000 to spend on my library just sounds so wonderful!! the first set of books I would buy, leather bound of course, is the Agatha Christie collection. Always dreamed about that...

I remember seeing the lovely library Nils Crane had on 'Fraiser' when I was young, that was the first time I think I realised that people could have libraries in their own houses!!!! just like in books.... So started the dream and now I have my own little corner of heaven right here. (and it looks nothing like Nils' library by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I have the collection of Charles Dickens and Shakespeare...Love my bookcase!....There was a collection years ago (fortnightly) of classics and have them too. Love bringing one or two on hols!...I bought the LOTR box set for my then 8 year old and she became hooked too - she has a great collection as well! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It only dawned on me a few months after I got my Kindle that those lovely papery things that sit on my shelf were going to stop multiplying. :(

Now the shelf will have to be slowly filled *manually* with special books.
    Far as I'm concerned there is nothing like having a room full of books,and these are not too expensive.....go for it.
    I have started buying books from subterranean press,signed and limited editions.I have bought about 4 so far.My most expensive was €130 :o

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SP&Category_Code=B
    I spent over a hundred bucks on SP for a signed George RR Martin anthology!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Dades wrote: »
    I spent over a hundred bucks on SP for a signed George RR Martin anthology!

I tried to get one of his "A song of fire and Ice series" limited editions from SP, but they were sold out the same day they were advertised.Don't think they have even been printed yet.

They will start showing up on EBay at 10 times the price.Too expensive for me.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I received my B&N Leatherbound Classic today, really impressed with it! Although it's completely impractical when it comes to actually reading the damn thing because it's absolutely mahoosive!! But still, it's pretty :p

130418046.JPG

Advertisement