Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw this homeless man once but never again

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I was out on a night out about 5 or 6 years ago and there was a guy asking ppl for change near the ATM at the skeff. I looked at him and he looked like a really decent bloke, intelligent and I was really surprised when he told me he was homeless. I told him a long story about my first impressions of him and he seemed genuinely surprised - like nobody had ever said anything positive to him b4. He was an alcoholic. I gave him all the change in my pocket which amounted to 15 euro.

I've never seen him since - he was in his late twenties - anyone know him?

Would really like to know where he is now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Plenty of intelligent and 'decent' people get their lives thrown off by addiction. Plenty of people made homeless by it too.
    Doesnt ring a bell the man that age. Any more of a description? Sounds like he really made an impression on you. Why are you seeking him out 5 years later though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Maybe he got a house

You know who I really miss? The one I nicknamed Rastafarian Pirate, because he had an eye patch and dreadlocks. Anyone else remember him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

euser1984 wrote: »
    I gave him all the change in my pocket which amounted to 15 euro.

Sounds like a good night if you had 15 yo yos in change. Last I heard of him, he had bought a quick pick from your 15 yo yos and is living the high life in the carribean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I was out on a night out about 5 or 6 years ago and there was a guy asking ppl for change near the ATM at the skeff. I looked at him and he looked like a really decent bloke, intelligent and I was really surprised when he told me he was homeless. I told him a long story about my first impressions of him and he seemed genuinely surprised - like nobody had ever said anything positive to him b4. He was an alcoholic. I gave him all the change in my pocket which amounted to 15 euro.

You should of not gave him change, you should of bought him some food. What are the chances he spend that money on Alcohol? you were further compounding his problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bensweeney wrote: »
    You should of not gave him change, you should of bought him some food. What are the chances he spend that money on Alcohol? you were further compounding his problem.
    Giving 15yoyos to a homeless man is going to compound his homelessness? OP never said the man had any alcohol or other addiction problems?

And sorry now but that drives me cracked, its 'should have' or 'should've', has to be the number one grammar/language mistake in this country given how often it comes up here.

Giving 15yoyos to a homeless man is going to compound his homelessness? OP never said the man had any alcohol or other addiction problems?

And sorry now but that drives me cracked, its 'should have' or 'should've', has to be the number one grammar/language mistake in this country given how often it comes up here.

The OP said he was an Alcoholic.

For Ben, see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Feel free to join this thread, let's keep this thread on chasing that homeless guy down for the OP *stalk stalk*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

OP did say the guy was an alcoholic. Reading comprehension is a bigger problem than grammar in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice and civil pls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heard he got married, built up a property portfolio of 21 properties, moved to Killiney and is now a professional landlord..

I did not realise OP you can judge a person's intelligence just by looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So we're looking for an intelligent mid-30s alcoholic male, who was outside the Skef one night 5-6 years ago, ie back in the Tiger days, who said that he was alcoholic and knows how to pan handle with style. (Sure'n no one's ever said anything nice to me before ... woe is me.)

OP, what accent did he have - Galway, Dub, the north? Anything that might help narrow the search a bit :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are you interested in him yourself JustMary? <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

h2005 wrote: »
    OP did say the guy was an alcoholic. Reading comprehension is a bigger problem than grammar in this country!
    Seems to be! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are you interested in him yourself JustMary? <snip>

Yeah, since the OP hasn't seen him since, then I reckon he might be able to offer insights about the public transport systems and how he escaped from Galway.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

You know who I really miss? The one I nicknamed Rastafarian Pirate, because he had an eye patch and dreadlocks. Anyone else remember him?

Was this guy based in Galway or Dublin. Cos there was a guy who answers that description who was around the centre of Dublin for years, think he had galway connections too. Also think he got settled in housing somewhere if he hadn't been during his Dublin period, plus I think he may have been a University graduate at the time.
    That's based on description of dreads and eyepatch, & my assumption that he was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Was he homeless?

Advertisement