Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that author...

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Putting faces to the names.

Identify the author pictured. First poster with the correct answer poses the next one, and so on (no cheating by looking at the link!)

First up:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRigYXy9WR0_dDVhvKR-dibzIZPpMHoSEwgfnQWiSQpn930Z4gJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Windbag Lewis.

40329257.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

This is a great idea, but it's dying a death. Nobody seems to know who the second guy is .

Forgive me for trying to kick it back into life with a relatively easy one.

169_letters_genius.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

That's a toughy, but I'll let someone else ... call it. Here's a clue for mine:

'Il est difficile à celui qui vit hors du monde de ne pas rechercher les siens'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Belacqua's is André Malraux. Initially I thought it might be Camus, then figured it was still probably a Frenchman (French writers are always photographed smoking!) so looked at pics of French writers on Wikipedia and got the answer that way...left it to see if anyone would just know.

ThirdMan's now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

ThirdMan's is Arthur Koestler.

Erich_Maria_Remarque1.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok, this thread doesn't look like it has legs, but I'll give it one more shot. Last one was Erich Maria Remarque.

A handy one:
    tolkien_1916.jpg

J.R.R. Tolkien.

It wasn't that handy, I needed help.

6a00d8341c630a53ef014e5fe0df4f970c-800wi

ThirdMan wrote: »
    J.R.R. Tolkien.

It wasn't that handy, I needed help.

It's the main pic of him on Wikipedia, so I thought a lot of people must have seen it. Him as an old man with a big pipe just seemed a bit too handy!;)

I know this one, but I'll wait and see if someone else gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Kinski wrote: »
    Belacqua's is André Malraux. Initially I thought it might be Camus, then figured it was still probably a Frenchman (French writers are always photographed smoking!) so looked at pics of French writers on Wikipedia and got the answer that way...left it to see if anyone would just know.

ThirdMan's now so.

I thought it was Camus too.

Is post 8 James Elroy?

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Is post 8 James Elroy?

It is indeed. Your turn.

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    It's the main pic of him on Wikipedia, so I thought a lot of people must have seen it.

I kicked myself when I found out. He's one of those old guys that you can't imagine ever being young. Like Gandalf I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Martin-Amis-In-1981-007.jpg

If you need a clue...
    Not a very nice character but a damn fine writer (usually). He's sparked the opprobrium of many, including: Terry Eagleton, Julian Barnes, Christopher Hitchens and Anna Ford.

Martin Amis

updike1950.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 aegisisc

hello guys which image i give you ans. There are so many image.

The first seven have been answered, but the author in post number 14 hasn't been solved yet.

Advertisement