Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Limerick City on Saturdays

• 19-04-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Is it free or do you have to put up a disc/use Park Magic if parking on the street in the city on Saturdays?

I thought it was free, hubby doesn't think so. (Shows how often we actually go into the city on Saturdays and park, rather than pulling in outside a shop, running in and running out again!!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Bicycle wrote: »
    Is it free or do you have to put up a disc/use Park Magic if parking on the street in the city on Saturdays?

I thought it was free, hubby doesn't think so. (Shows how often we actually go into the city on Saturdays and park, rather than pulling in outside a shop, running in and running out again!!)

Thanks.
    It's free if you get in early and get a space on the double yellows or blocking an entrance, or mount a kerb. The suckers that come later have to pay.

This advice contains elements of sarcasm...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Some streets have free parking on a Saturday. Henry Street (from Mallow Street away from the centre), Newenham, Hartstonge and Barrington are all free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Flincher, thank you, your information has been very helpful. Now I know that where I will be will require putting up a disc or using Park Magic.

Langdang, just to clarify I am in town most weekdays and park in designated parking spots and use Park Magic to pay for it. On Saturdays if I have to go into town - which I try to avoid like the plague given my first statement, then hubby pulls up in a vacant parking spot, I run in to where I have to go for 5 minutes and run out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Flincher wrote: »
    Some streets have free parking on a Saturday. Henry Street (from Mallow Street away from the centre), Newenham, Hartstonge and Barrington are all free.

Just to add that if you walk away from the City Centre then after a certain distance the parking signs that used to say Mon. - Sat. have been edited to now say Mon - Fri (ie. white sticker over the 'Sat.')

- This should remove the uncertainty etc.

Its a pity Limerick City centre was slowly and wilfully killed off strangled by the absolute Morons in the City Council and the disasterously bumbling planning Office.

- Hasn't helped that it was never adequately cleaned or that Scum roam the street like packs of wild dogs while the Gardaí are off merrily populating the now infamous rural Garda Stations playing Xbox and watching DVDs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MissEmcee

Raiser wrote: »
    while the Gardaí are off merrily populating the now infamous rural Garda Stations playing Xbox and watching DVDs.....

The usual sensationalized last lines of your posts are always tedious....and in this case insulting to Members of the GS who do give a sh%t and are trying their best in difficult circumstances.

• Advertisement

MissEmcee wrote: »
    The usual sensationalized last lines of your posts are always tedious....and in this case insulting to Members of the GS who do give a sh%t and are trying their best in difficult circumstances.

MissEmcee I was just having a half-hearted sideswipe - but I concede that I phrased that badly, it it reads as a broad, all-inclusive tarring of the Gardaí which is not fair and for which I genuinely apologise.

That said there is a long standing and growing belief amongst the Citizens of Limerick City and surrounds that there are serious issues with regard to the level of policing that is in effect.

- I'd love to see current stats on deployment numbers and how/where they are being deployed as Limerick seems to have an invisible police force and it just doesn't add up.

Also for what its worth they've been building a reputation for not attending 999 emergency calls which is especially unforgivable. Personally I've had 3 over the last 10 years or so (would have been 2 X Roxboro and 1 X Henry St) car theft, assault and two Scumbags kicking in someones front door and strolling in to do god knows what or to whom, in all three cases the Gardaí just didn't bother to show up!!!!!!!

* Actually theres a thread here link I'd love if the Mods allowed a current one with a well thought out poll canvassing current opinion on this topic.

This isn't an Irish problem as other Cities have a visible police presence, I'd love to know whats the real story?

I have heard it said (by a classmate of mine with a Garda family connection) that talk is that Gardaí deployed to Limerick keep their heads down and drive on biding their time until they are redeployed as Limerick is too out of control and lawless to take on - But that might just be a tale tale..... Whatever is wrong it would certainly be nice to see Limerick back on its feet again in terms of policing and I'd assume that will have to start with the an occasional police presence to deter crime and perhaps attending emergency calls from the people whose taxes pay their generous wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I have heard it said (by a classmate of mine with a Garda family connection) that talk is that Gardaí deployed to Limerick keep their heads down and drive on biding their time until they are redeployed as Limerick is too out of control and lawless to take on - But that might just be a tale tale..... Whatever is wrong it would certainly be nice to see Limerick back on its feet again in terms of policing and I'd assume that will have to start with the an occasional police presence to deter crime and perhaps attending emergency calls from the people whose taxes pay their generous wages.

This may be going way off topic but here goes.......

I'll give 3 cases where I saw the gardai make random stops/checks.

1. A garda on traffic point duty near St Mary's Church, pulled a car over for further checks.

2. A garda on a bicycle, pulled over two lads in a car on O'Callaghan Strand, called the tow truck to recover the vehicle.

3. A garda car had a van/trailer with what looked like scrap metal pulled over near St Munchin's Church

phog wrote: »
    This may be going way off topic but here goes.......

I'll give 3 cases where I saw the gardai make random stops/checks.

1. A garda on traffic point duty near St Mary's Church, pulled a car over for further checks.

2. A garda on a bicycle, pulled over two lads in a car on O'Callaghan Strand, called the tow truck to recover the vehicle.

3. A garda car had a van/trailer with what looked like scrap metal pulled over near St Munchin's Church

Def off topic but I reckon the OP has had her question answered!

- Phog I really meant that the Gardaí are often accused of avoiding the dirty work in favour of handing out tickets, with respect and I'm honestly not trying to simply contradict and annoy you, your 3 examples are like a case in point.

To be honest if I was a Garda on a rainy December night with a long shift ahead of me I'd rather plague motorists in Dooradoyle, Monaleen or Clarina than brave the back alleys of Weston - But that just don't make it right......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i live on old clare street (down by unidrug) parking is free on saturdays and u will always get a space ur a 6monute walk from town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Def off topic but I reckon the OP has had her question answered!

- Phog I really meant that the Gardaí are often accused of avoiding the dirty work in favour of handing out tickets, with respect and I'm honestly not trying to simply contradict and annoy you, your 3 examples are like a case in point.

To be honest if I was a Garda on a rainy December night with a long shift ahead of me I'd rather plague motorists in Dooradoyle, Monaleen or Clarina than brave the back alleys of Weston - But that just don't make it right......

They weren't plaguing motorists they were questioning suspicious activity.I get the feeling no matter what they do they'll be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Def off topic but I reckon the OP has had her question answered!.

Yes, I have thanks but the ensuing discussions have been interesting. :D

Phog wrote: »
    A garda on a bicycle, pulled over two lads in a car on O'Callaghan Strand, called the tow truck to recover the vehicle..

I had great fun that day :p:p:p

Thank you all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

MissEmcee wrote: »

His last lines may be tedious but they're also true! One of the reasons why I left Limerick is the awfulness of the city centre, it's just unpleasant, and the lack of policing there is positively shocking.

To give you an example: I used to work on Roches St up to last year. One morning a couple of years back, around 10 o'clock, we had three scumbags hanging around outside the premises, up to no good, drinking cider and tapping people for money, abusing anyone who refused them. We told them to clear off but they just spat in our direction. So i rang Henry St - and this is the best part - to be told - "Sorry, there are no gardai on foot patrol in the city centre at the moment." :eek:

That's the moment i gave up on the City.

Advertisement