Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on places to eat in Westport that I can compare to Galway?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi, hubby and i are heading to westport for 2 nights - we got a present of hotel :D and are wondering about somewhere to eat the reason i am posting in the galway section is it would be great to be able to compare it to somewhere we know - any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think they have a supermacs ...should be similar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi, hubby and i are heading to westport for 2 nights - we got a present of hotel :D and are wondering about somewhere to eat the reason i am posting in the galway section is it would be great to be able to compare it to somewhere we know - any suggestions?
    Which hotel are you in OP? Most of the hotels have nice food.
    JustMary wrote: »

Nope! No Supermac's (or McD's) in Westport. Westkebabs, Blue Thunder and Dannolla's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Monroes have a Pizza Pizza place in Westport...It is damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No for some reason neither Supermacs nor McDonalds have appeared in Westport

There are a range of places listed in previous threads here.

Suggest Il volcano High St ( Italian )

Torinos Bridge St

Place behind Morans pub on Bridge St - used to be Port Mór

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't think of any places except Supermacs that you can find in bot Galway and Westport.
    Suppose you can just ask for Westport restaurant recommendations in Mayo forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

thanks, dont think supermacs or mc d's is what we are looking for ;) but the italian might be worth a try, we like Da Robertas here and the front door and mc swiggans so are looking for about the same price and quality!

I have only had lunches in McSwiggans, so I dont know what it's like for dinner, but ther places I mentioned would be at least same standard

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

thanks nuac, sounds like what we are looking for:D really looking forward to the break - especially since its costing us nothing:D

Of course you can't go wrong with a Chinese restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

JustMary wrote: »

As a moderator you should know your facts before posting. They do not have a Supermacs. The OP is looking for genuine answers.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    No for some reason neither Supermacs nor McDonalds have appeared in Westport

There are a range of places listed in previous threads here.

Suggest Il volcano High St ( Italian )

Torinos Bridge St

Place behind Morans pub on Bridge St - used to be Port Mór

enjoy

The town blocked attempts to have the two, because it cheapens the area.

karen89 wrote: »

Lots of restaurants, Mangoes is probably the best.

http://www.mangoswestport.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186627-d1187127-Reviews-Mangos_Restaurant-Westport_County_Mayo.html

In fact have a look at all them in tripadvisor, they are ranked there.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g186627-Westport_County_Mayo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bensweeney wrote: »
    As a moderator you should know your facts before posting. They do not have a Supermacs. The OP is looking for genuine answers.

I'm not a moderator in this forum, just a regular schumck like the rest of ye.

Sure, I assumed. This time I was wrong. Don't see much harm in it myself, people were quick to give the OP correct info.

But really, what else is the OP going to get if they ask Mayo questions in a Galway forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

I was staying in the Westport Carlton for a night, but ate in the Temptations restaurant (part of the Mill Times Hotel) after reading a review by Paolo Tullio in his TasteofIreland.com website. The 4 course was €25, now €29.

Very impressed. You can google them.

PS: I'd only eat here at the weekend, to ensure a livelier atmosphere, I've heard it's very quiet during the week, so you could be the only two in there.

J.

bensweeney wrote: »
    The town blocked attempts to have the two, because it cheapens the area.

Not so.

There was an attempt by a Supermac franchisee to convert an existing restaurant - Cafollas'- to a Supermacs takeaway, leaving a few tables for show. Cafollas was predominently a sit down restaurant with a small take away facility.

Town Council told them that change required planning permission, the Supermacs franchisee disagreed and went ahead regardless with the conversion in the teeth of the usual warnings and notices from the Council, Circuit Court judge agreed with Council, as did the High Court on appeal. Both courts ordered it's closure.. Eventually a permission was given for a a regular restaurant with less of a takeaway element. That traded for a while, but I cant remember if it was as Supermacs. The case was Westport UDC and Golden ( or maybe the other way around).

If Supermacs had applied for planning permisson in the normal way the Council would not have been entitled to refuse it just because it was Supermacs. The would have had to apply the normal planning and developmetn criteria.

I have no recollection of McDonalds applying for planning permission in Westport. Again the COuncil would not have been entitled to refuss it just because it was McDOnalds - any refusal would have to be on planning grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd really rate The Helm for food. Good craic later on too.

Great seafood.

Ok, moving this over to Mayo for input from the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Try the Pantry & Corkscrew just off the Octagon.Good grub, good value, friendly and welcoming.

I agree with all the above recommendations. I recall someone posted up these details re eating out in Westport some time ago. As people often ask, could someone familiar with this board put up the list as a sticky, pls?

• Advertisement
Advertisement