Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's stopping an incident like the Norweigan massacre happening here?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've been reading the guys testimony and while it is chilling stuff in light of his actions the simple fact is that you can trace a lot of what he is saying to certain elements in AH. So he has attitudes that are shared by plenty of people in Ireland i reckon.

A year ago he was just some angry guy on the internet.

So yeah, it could happen here.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

With our 'famous' love of Funerals here in Ireland such a Massacre would make us much too happy to have any effect on our Apathy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

tebowfan wrote: »

What's stopping an Irish equivalent from embarking on a rampage and blowing up government buildings over here?

The FCA.

It's actually somewhat surprising that it hasn't happened here yet - I mean all the symptoms are there: the rising rate of guns, the feelings of dissent towards the government and the feelings of depression/uselessness/sadness that seems to be everywhere and, not to mention, an active terrorist cell. It seems that as a nation, we tend more to take it out on ourselves, hence the high rate of suicides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

i don't understand why he killed all the white kids
    i thought he hated muslims? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Have you seen how long it takes to post a campaign video to Youtube with our upload speeds.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

It's actually somewhat surprising that it hasn't happened here yet - I mean all the symptoms are there: the rising rate of guns, the feelings of dissent towards the government and the feelings of depression/uselessness/sadness that seems to be everywhere and, not to mention, an active terrorist cell. It seems that as a nation, we tend more to take it out on ourselves, hence the high rate of suicides.

gun ownership is tightly regulated in ireland by international standards , as for our terrorists cell , thats a completley different kind of mass murder , that nut in norway might have claimed to be political in his killing but he,s just an unhinged fantasist fruitcake

they were members of a left wing political party , he regarded them as pro immigration and in favour of multiculturalism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

He has stated the only reason he went to the island and killed people was because he viewed the bombing as a failure. He had hoped the bomb would kill a minimum of twelve people and cause the building to collapse.

One of his main goals seems to have been to establish the fact that a lone person or a small cell could easily carry out a horrific terrorist act within Norway without detection. He feels that Norway is very lax with regard to this area of law enforcement and as he associations terrorist acts with Muslim communities quite strongly I imagine it all made sense in his head.

He also feels the kids who were on the island are attached to a self hating political party.

• Advertisement

gun ownership is tightly regulated in ireland by international standards , as for our terrorists cell , thats a completley different kind of mass murder , that nut in norway might have claimed to be political in his killing but he,s just an unhinged fantasist fruitcake

It might be tightly regulated, but it still wouldn't stop someone from appearing normal and then going out on a massacre. Just look at this guy. And people might carry it out in the name of the IRA, I don't know. If I remember right, at one point he claimed he was doing it for Al Queda. Yes, it's a bit of a leap, I admit that, but there's genuinely nothing to stop it from happening here.

Also, as an aside, gun ownership might be tightly regulated, but yet the various organized gangs around the country have weapons.

It might be tightly regulated, but it still wouldn't stop someone from appearing normal and then going out on a massacre. Just look at this guy. And people might carry it out in the name of the IRA, I don't know. If I remember right, at one point he claimed he was doing it for Al Queda. Yes, it's a bit of a leap, I admit that, but there's genuinely nothing to stop it from happening here.

Also, as an aside, gun ownership might be tightly regulated, but yet the various organized gangs around the country have weapons.

criminals dont buy thier gear from liscensed gun stores , criminals dont run amok shooting people at random , they are bad but thier is a logic behind thier actions , those stories we hear from america a few times per year and other places every few years involve freaks and weirdos , the main thing allowing theese people to do what they do nowadays is the liberal mental health policys in place , this is especially the case in ireland where you cannot be placed in an institution indefinatley unless you kill someone first :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

The real answer is nothing but it's impossible to police a lone nutter for the sole reason that they are on their own.

I'm confident, with the current state of affairs, that there will not be another terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 by Al Qaeda or another Omagh bombing by the Real IRA. The fact is that as counter terrorism has improved massively the last 10 years it's very hard for these groups to function successfully and carry out a large attack because they' can be so easily infiltrated by spies or easily monitored thanks to advancements in surveillance techniques. Unless British soldiers start firing on innocent nationalists again I can't see the IRA ever regaining any amounts of support they got under the Troubles. Attacks are always possible but they're be a lot more small scale ie. Ronan Kerr, Massarene which although of course serious they're hardly the Canary Wharf bombing, Manchester 96 like in The Troubles. The same I think with Al Qaeda. Counter terrorism is so well funded thanks to American paranoia it's hard for any group to mobilise and discuss a potential attack without raising suspicion let alone plan and effectively carry out a large scale attack.

The problem is always the rogue who goes into a school and starts firing up the place but the sad thing is it's practically impossible to prevent anything like that happening unless they're a part of an organised group. But another 9/11? Never again in my opinion.

Joko wrote: »

terrorism , not the same thing

The real answer is nothing but it's impossible to police a lone nutter for the sole reason that they are on their own.

I'm confident, with the current state of affairs, that there will not be another terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 by Al Qaeda or another Omagh bombing by the Real IRA. The fact is that as counter terrorism has improved massively the last 10 years it's very hard for these groups to function successfully and carry out a large attack because they' can be so easily infiltrated by spies or easily monitored thanks to advancements in surveillance techniques. Unless British soldiers start firing on innocent nationalists again I can't see the IRA ever regaining any amounts of support they got under the Troubles. Attacks are always possible but they're be a lot more small scale ie. Ronan Kerr, Massarene which although of course serious they're hardly the Canary Wharf bombing, Manchester 96 like in The Troubles. The same I think with Al Qaeda. Counter terrorism is so well funded thanks to American paranoia it's hard for any group to mobilise and discuss a potential attack without raising suspicion let alone plan and effectively carry out a large scale attack.

The problem is always the rogue who goes into a school and starts firing up the place but the sad thing is it's practically impossible to prevent anything like that happening unless they're a part of an organised group. But another 9/11? Never again in my opinion.

why are people confusing terrorist orginisations who have a clear ( albeit wrongheaded ) mission and political goal with deranged lone gunmen ? , its apples and organges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

people like brevnik in ireland would join a terrorist group or british or american armies also because of irelands past carrying out violence for political aims is not a particular new thing. We are familiar enough with terrorism and how it works to know that an incident like what happened in Norway will have no effect in achieving its stated aims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The preponderance of grow houses and their important role in a well balanced society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

why are people confusing terrorist orginisations who have a clear ( albeit wrongheaded ) mission and political goal with deranged lone gunmen ? , its apples and organges

Apple bastards?

criminals dont buy thier gear from liscensed gun stores , criminals dont run amok shooting people at random , they are bad but thier is a logic behind thier actions , those stories we hear from america a few times per year and other places every few years involve freaks and weirdos , the main thing allowing theese people to do what they do nowadays is the liberal mental health policys in place , this is especially the case in ireland where you cannot be placed in an institution indefinatley unless you kill someone first :confused:

Ah, but if a person were to put as meticulous planning as this Anders person did, then they probably would go through the same channels as those gangs and criminals, so in this case, regulation wouldn't achieve much.

Ah, but if a person were to put as meticulous planning as this Anders person did, then they probably would go through the same channels as those gangs and criminals, so in this case, regulation wouldn't achieve much.

they wouldnt know how to forge links with illegal arms dealers or criminals , people like that are not particulary crafty , yer man who shot up that school in dunblane was a janitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

PIRA are on ceasefire. So this won't happen.

they wouldnt know how to forge links with illegal arms dealers or criminals , people like that are not particulary crafty , yer man who shot up that school in dunblane was a janitor

You're obviously not getting what I'm trying to say, so I'm just going to step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Spunge wrote: »

But could it happen HERE, not foreign soil....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Apathy. Relative dearth of high powered weaponry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He viewed the kids he slaughtered as quislings for letting muslims into Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He viewed the kids he slaughtered as quislings for letting muslims into Norway.

Jaysus

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Common Good is'nt top of the List in Ireland . Money is .That's what most serious news is about and every election manifesto .The Big cheque seems to be the solution to every problem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Sure if it did happen he'd be only up for about 5 years, out in 3 for good behaviour and not blowing anyone up inside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I don't think there's anything stopping it happening here. It could happen but then again I think that out of all these Western European countries that he was 'trying to protect', we might be quite low on it.

You may disregard the Daily Mail but it's got a huge online following. The top comment on a story about a kid who ages quickly is
    So the NHS withdrew his council funding for his hydrotherapy. This is the same NHS where you can just turn up from any impoverished nation with a bun in your oven ready to pop or bring your illegal family across the borders and you will get the best FREE treatment this country has to offer no questions asked. Well its a bloody disgrace. We are sick to death of this mis-use of funds, the consequences of which are that this British born and bred lad has to suffer for the rest of his short life because we are squandering the money supporting foreign scroungers.

Top comment on a Sky News article about the trial:
    @ The rest of us , absolute rubbish, a well known tactic of the "left" will now be to link all us "Right wingers" to this nutter in Norway, Multiculturalism was a dream that is now turning into a nightmare for many... for example in Norway, EVERY rape, & there have been a lot, in the last two years has been committed by recently arrived migrants, try telling the victims that multiculturalism is great eh !

These two may just be keyboard warriors but it only takes one person to see this, agree with itm plan on how to stop it and take the drastic measures that Breivik did

Advertisement