Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated brewing system

Options
  • 20-04-2012 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just saw this link on Reddit, a thread following a guy's project to build an automated brewing machine. Pretty cool I reckon.

Here.

I've only ever done one homebrew, and not very successfully, this just sparked my interest in another go this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Actually, here's another project that seems to be on a much bigger scale - maybe everyone else already knows about this stuff? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It can be a great hobby like that, lot of tech guys get a kick of continuously designing and adding to their systems

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ooooh. This could be something that is well suited to a Raspberry Pi ($25 fully functional computer). Not much I could do with it since I'll be mostly making cider (or maybe I'm not using my imagination enough)..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Khannie wrote: »
    Ooooh. This could be something that is well suited to a Raspberry Pi ($25 fully functional computer). Not much I could do with it since I'll be mostly making cider (or maybe I'm not using my imagination enough)..

A Raspberry Pi would probably be overkill, and more difficult to code. The Arduino stuff makes projects like this much easier, doesn't it?

Pi might be overkill alright but it offers amazing smartphone integration possibilities.

The arduino is slightly alien to me (linux geek / coder), though I'm working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

oblivious wrote: »
    It can be a great hobby like that, lot of tech guys get a kick of continuously designing and adding to their systems

I just met up with the LAB people (London Amateur Brewers) and there is some serious brewnerd vibe going on!

Lots of really technical discussion, including kit designs and kit hacking, and the latest discussion was around pure O2 injection to start the yeast.

Interesting, but it sounds a little unnecessary / OTT.

Advertisement