Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anders Breivik plotted killing spree during year of playing video games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Video games can be influential though. I played my brother in FIFA 12 last week and the only way I could beat him was by being dirty and lunging in with reckless challenges.

Played indoor soccer the following night and was breaking lads up with reckless challenges.

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Quote from Breivik during this mornings trial:

Breivik says he doesn't hold *all* journalists responsible for cultural marxism, etc - "I'm not talking about sports journalists, naturally"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If I needed to improve my Golf, I wouldn't use Tiger Woods '12 to practice.

ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

CiaranC wrote: »
    How does one use World of Warcraft to prepare for a killing spree? The premise is absurd.

A frost mage shot rotation clearly needs to be learned before one can shoot people successfully in real life. True fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The fact that he spent up to sixteen hours a day playing a video game is not the fault of video games. It is just one additional item of proof, as if any more were needed, that this guy is a total dingbat.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, he admitted in court yesterday that he had been planning to behead former prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, one of the most respected Norwegians on the international scene and a great champion of sustainable development, and post a video of this gruesome act on the Internet.:eek:

Fortunately, she had left Utøya before he arrived and remains in good health. In fact, today is her 74th birthday, so many happy returns, Madam.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So certain media agencies use the actions of clearly a mad man to discredit/turn people against video games again.

He may have been drinking coffee while doing his plotting, so I hope the media become super constructive and get onto banning coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was amazed to see that a world of warcraft addict had managed to shoot his load in real life.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Private thoughts and actions will often find expression somehow outside the home .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well in all fairness World of Warcraft is sh*t and should be banned. I don't think it influences killings though not any more than religion or normal day to day life does anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

How can anyone prepare for a killing spree by playing video games?

Of course CoD is so realistic. If he got shot would he have hid behind a wall for a couple of seconds while it healed?

The man's a nut job. The reason he was in any way influenced by games is because he was a nut job. The reason anyone who's influenced by games to go on killing sprees is because they're nut jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I laughed at that, but it does show the delusions of a psychopath, "I'm a nice guy really".

Video games are irrelevant, I hope video games do not become the video nasties of the 80s.

I don't play video games, but i did watch all the video nasties, I never killed anybody nor had I ever had an inkling to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You play a high skill game where you have to depend on f*cking window lickers. I can understand the urge to murder people whilst playing videogames alright.

But WoW and CoD are for lowskill casuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Are there certain things in FPS shooters that could translate to real life?

Yes. Absolutely.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    The fact that he spent up to sixteen hours a day playing a video game is not the fault of video games. It is just one additional item of proof, as if any more were needed, that this guy is a total dingbat.:rolleyes:

Playing a computer game for 16 hours a day doesn't make you a dingbat - it makes you unhealthy, unfit and Real Life (TM) socially inept, but not a dingbat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anders Breivik and video games.
    Basically those Video games ruined his life.
    Luckily, he still has two left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

You're thinking of America's Army, not CoD.

Soldiers? Plural?

Don't play niave, Manic. Americas Army is an overt recruitment tool. COD is propaganda.

Yes, Plural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Like many of these questions, it's which came first the video games or the nut job?

I'd wager the nut job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I think there's a fairly clear kind of innuendo there in the line about WoW and Call of Duty, tbf. They don't say outright "It's all the fault of videogames!" but the implication they're laying out for the reader is pretty clear.

He said it himself in court, said it was part of his 'training'. The media aren't exaggerating it, it's a fact that he used them to plan his shootings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I do think playing video games can make you more agressive. Some people anyway. I can see anyway how the idea might be planted if you were a bit weak minded/a fundamentalist whackjob like Breivik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

No one is pointing out he's a member of the wierd cult of freemasonry. Mad in the head that lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Naomi00 wrote: »
    He said it himself in court, said it was part of his 'training'. The media aren't exaggerating it, it's a fact that he used them to plan his shootings.

Its a fact he said it, its not a fact that he either did it, or that it was of any relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Are there certain things in FPS shooters that could translate to real life?

Yes. Absolutely.

Not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If people believe video games had something truly relevant to do with the attacks then nothing will have been learned as to why such a thing happened. Which, unfortunately, is always the case. Point at the easiest object without taking other aspects into consideration.

He used WoW because he liked fantasy games as a hobby, no more, it had zero to do with manufacturing bombs, injecting nicotene in ammuniton or anything along the lines that result in the death of a person. In fact, it was only, and rarely, used as stress relief from all the chemical studying and experiments he was performing out at the farm he was living at.

It was one of many things he used to disconnect himself from family and friends during that initial gaming year which was his plan. He could've chosen any other hobby but this was the cheapest and most believable method to others.

He said countless of times in his manifesto that he didn't like FPS games but had convinced himself that CoD was a worthy training simulator. The game isnt, it's a highly scripted on-the-rails propaganda game that is the equivelant to a Micheal Bay movie in terms of learning about armed responses and strategies.

I guess the fact that all the weapons training he did for years to obtain the guns legally and setting up businesses and a farm as fake fronts to construct his bombs and that he had planned an assualt for almost ten years seem to slip people's minds.

We should also be blaming the internet for allowing him free access to chemical notes to help him construct bombs..................lump in Google Translator there, too, since he used that quite a bit.

R0ot wrote: »
    Well in all fairness World of Warcraft is sh*t and should be banned. I don't think it influences killings though not any more than religion or normal day to day life does anyway.

It looks shit, more than anything else. If he started seeing the world as if it was Wow, I'd be suprised he didn't try to blow the planet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Goldfingers

Look,lets put our cards on th.........................LOOK OUT THERE'S A GORILLA THROWING BARRELS AT ME !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

COD and WOW are probably the two most popular games around atm. By the law of averages, a person with mental problems, like Breivik, who happens to like video games will have played one or the other at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

It's bullsh*t!

If I needed to improve my football game, I wouldn't use FIFA to practice!

If I needed to improve my fighting, I wouldn't use Mortal Kombat to practice.

Factually incorrect i'm afraid. There are professional golfers, including recent 2012 Masters winner Bubba Watson who freely claim (and without financial incentive) that golf video games have improved their actual game at certain events as the courses are now replicated so accurately in the video games that they get an extra "feel" for a particular course before a tournament.
    Just sayin'....
    I can't comment on the other genres.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is nothing believable in those electronic games at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Ah, of course videogames are to blame. I hear Hitler got his ideas playing games too (whilst listening to rock'n'roll and watching Elvis' hips to boot).

Bottom line is mental patient is mental, if it wasn't videogames, he'd have had some other medium to play out his fantasies vicariously. Gaming is still the newest entertainment medium and will continue to be used as a scapegoat until it's relative youth is usurped and something else takes the fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

and all killers carried out their killings in the same 24 hour period they eat food :eek:

why has no one noticed this. food is evil. its all because of food :eek:

*rushes off to scotland yard*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If video games shape who you are why isn't everyone on Facebook a farmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Considering he is nearly my age it concerns me he is a fan if some of the most mainstream kid-cult games. And recommended 'call of duty' as a tool that helped him that's good enough reason to terminate that franchise, besides too many likeminded impressionable kids live by it.. Been said before but the islamophobia, the equipment he owned I think we have our first glaring example of COD's influence realized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's bullsh*t!

If I needed to improve my football game, I wouldn't use FIFA to practice!

If I needed to improve my fighting, I wouldn't use Mortal Kombat to practice.

You crazy yo.

This:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

He's clearly just trolling gamers cause we still get to play games and he never will again...

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Considering he is nearly my age it concerns me he is a fan if some of the most mainstream kid-cult games. And recommended 'call of duty' as a tool that helped him that's good enough reason to terminate that franchise, besides too many likeminded impressionable kids live by it.. Been said before but the islamophobia, the equipment he owned I think we have our first glaring example of COD's influence realized

*grumbles* Kid cult? WoW and CoD??

Trying...to....suppress...nerdrage...

Come on now you cannot say those particular games are not more communities for kids than your average game - and in COD's case, particularly idiotic kids. Anders probs thought the kids on the island were his age due to repeated overexposure

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Come on now you cannot say those particular games are not more communities for kids than your average game - and in COD's case, particularly idiotic kids. Anders probs thought the kids on the island were his age due to repeated overexposure

Only comment on WoW specifically regarding online play but in regards to people I actually know that play it are late to early 30's like me and in game I only 'met' one kid playing it, in general when age came up in a conversation it was again mid 20s up.

My nephew owns a CoD game and he is only around 10 and shouldn't have it. Anyone else I know who has a copy is my circa my age (31).

The guys I know of over 30 that play COD are total kids I teh head, same 16yo scanks that go to raves with the intention they'll bag some poor naive young girl in bunny ears n furry boots - brothers pals n the more they play exclusively that; the more i write em off

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I remember this story breaking last year and one of the first things i thought was "Varg Vikernes? Has he done this?" Google him kids, he's another norse nutter but nothing on this asshole, that's for sure. I was just amazed one guy could carry out what breivik did and i belive if Norway didn't have such a liberal justice system it might deter far right nutters like Breveik and Vikernes. Eye for an eye i say, execute these *****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I remember this story breaking last year and one of the first things i thought was "Varg Vikernes? Has he done this?" Google him kids, he's another norse nutter but nothing on this asshole, that's for sure. I was just amazed one guy could carry out what breivik did and i belive if Norway didn't have such a liberal justice system it might deter far right nutters like Breveik and Vikernes. Eye for an eye i say, execute these *****

America could hardly be excused of having a liberal justice system and it has never put off Timothy Mcveigh and other such lunatics. Guys who carry out or attempt these kind of acts aren't exactly thinking rationally, having the death penalty would not have deterred Breivik.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

AngeGal wrote: »
    America could hardly be excused of having a liberal justice system and it has never put off Timothy Mcveigh and other such lunatics. Guys who carry out or attempt these kind of acts aren't exactly thinking rationally, having the death penalty would not have deterred Breivik.

I take that on board, hence why i said it MIGHT deter these loopers. If someone is intent on murdering people, be they from a so-called civillized country or an uncivillized one then it's impossible to stop them.

all i'm saying is, yes, there will be murders under any justice system but with death penalty, there will be less. People get murdered everyday in texas but there'd be even more killings if that punishment wasn't in existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

My bro lives in london and he's right wing came home the other day for a wedding , i was talking about breivik the other day and he agreed with his views, he didnt agree with what he done but he certainly didnt hate him just thought it was weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I take that on board, hence why i said it MIGHT deter these loopers. If someone is intent on murdering people, be they from a so-called civillized country or an uncivillized one then it's impossible to stop them.

all i'm saying is, yes, there will be murders under any justice system but with death penalty, there will be less. People get murdered everyday in texas but there'd be even more killings if that punishment wasn't in existence.

No, there wouldn't. There does not appear to be any deterrence impact of capital punishment at all - infact, states without the death penalty in America have lower rates of murder. Murders tend to be committed in two situations (i) by criminals and (ii) crimes of passion/lunacy.

The first group live with the fear of getting killed on any given day and the second aren't thinking clearly, the death penalty wouldn't have an effect on either.

Killing an innocent person though, which eventually happens, is a pretty horrible thing.

......theres no evidence of that. There is evidence that murder is much the same in death penalty states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

We all know that the games industry is colluding with the US Army to contention and train the minds of young men to fight in wars. Battlefield 3, for instance, is being used to subconsciously train their minds to fight in the upcoming Iran war -- don't you find it highly coincidental that that game was release at a time when US-Iranian relations were at their lowest for many decades?

Breivik used these games in a similar fashion but for a different goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

you do realise how long it takes to make these games?

Pedant wrote: »
    We all know that the games industry is colluding with the US Army to contention and train the minds of young men to fight in wars. Battlefield 3, for instance, is being used to subconsciously train their minds to fight in the upcoming Iran war -- don't you find it highly coincidental that that game was release at a time when US-Iranian relations were at their lowest for many decades?

Thankfully, no, as I haven't lost the few marbles I have yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Breivik used these games in a similar fashion but for a different goal.

You are a ridiculous person.

Battlefield 3 was designed to make money. Lots of it. The timing of the release was designed to make money. There is no hidden reason or conspiracy.

Gaming is just like any other pastime. Some books and movie are based around war because that what the author thinks will make the most money or be the best story critically.

Yes, the military try to recruit people by making themselves look cool and inserting themselves into TV and Movies. But its not a secret conspiracy and is quite overt. They also have posters and ads on tv. Take a look at an episode of Top Gear or watch any Michael Bay movie.

Gaming is no different and it perplexes me why some people choose to see it so.

If Activision and EA though a game about pink unicorns would outsell COD and Battlefield, they would make that instead. It's not an attempt to conscript the youth of today. Nintendo didn't make Mario games to recruit a generation of plumbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There was a FPS called Homefront, where North Korea (yes that North Korea) conquered the US. These game tend to be very silly, and while they can be a overly Pro-American military, they are mostly very silly.

wes wrote: »
    There was a FPS called Homefront, where North Korea (yes that North Korea) conquered the US. These game tend to be very silly, and while they can be a overly Pro-American military, they are mostly very silly.

.....and short, very, very short. 5 hours to complete that, thank fuck I didn't get it new.

Do you reckon its the one to blame for my rightwing views? Or was that COD3?

• Advertisement
Advertisement