Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool regime to remain into May - often unsettled

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can someone explain in simple terms why the weather is so spectacularly shyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I'm sure plentiful answers are available, but firstly, what aspects of the recent weather do you deem "spectacularly shyte"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Weather isn't shyte. Your perception of the weather is that it's shyte.

I think Ireland has the perfect weather. Deaths from Irish weather are uncommon when compared to most other countries that have 'nice' weather. Flooding is rare, heatwaves are rare, extended freezes are rare.

We live in mildly goodness, I'm sure all of Europe would have preferred to have our winter as opposed to their own.

We are the fastest people on the planet, when it comes to reacting to hot days (I dare some one to challenge that ;) ). We can arrange a BBQ in 20 minutes after a ray of sunshine is spotted :)

Take away the sun from some 'cultured' nations and they have nothing. We have culture with or without the sun, our culture explodes in come sunshine :cool:

I wouldn't change our weather. We get rain, so what, at least we aint thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Gonzo wrote: »
    who_ru wrote: »
    what a dire prospect that is.

except that this summer could potentially be even colder and wetter than last year's. Time to book some time in spain this summer methinks.
    Please no,
    The winters are tough enough to deal with,having a crap summer again is going to be so depressing.
    Time to dust of the passport in August

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    I'm sure plentiful answers are available, but firstly, what aspects of the recent weather do you deem "spectacularly shyte"?

Well hmm lets see , in Dublin anyway since about last monday other than half of yesterday and this morning its hardly stopped raining:eek:Its also been freezing and its always so bloody windy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Dudess wrote: »
    Can someone explain in simple terms why the weather is so spectacularly shyte?

cos our seasons are back to front;)

Disingenuousness in the Weather forum - well I never! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dudess this place is full of weirdos, very few of us normal folk in here.

Its ****e cos we are at a ****e latitude parked beside an ocean.

Nabber wrote: »
    Weather isn't shyte. Your perception of the weather is that it's shyte.
    It's late April, significantly cold for this time of year - it is unpleasant for a lot of people, and that's hardly an unreasonable stance.

Otherwise I agree Ireland has a moderate climate - although yeah, some rain is fine, and an advantage, but we get too much IMO.

I wouldn't want non stop sun but the relentless greyness does jar after a prolonged period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's late April, significantly cold for this time of year - it is unpleasant for a lot of people, and that's hardly an unreasonable stance.

Otherwise I agree Ireland has a moderate climate - although yeah, some rain is fine, and an advantage, but we get too much IMO.

I wouldn't want non stop sun but the relentless greyness does jar after a prolonged period.

Open up Google Earth and look at some of the places on the planet that we share a latitude with. We have a more moderate climate than our latitude deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Calibos wrote: »
    Open up Google Earth and look at some of the places on the planet that we share a latitude with. We have a more moderate climate than our latitude deserves.

True, but they often have defined seasons. Last weeks weather would be shyte for January.

Calibos wrote: »

This is still unusual for Ireland though. Darn right Victor Meldrew - and the wind is pretty normal for April, but the cold...!

mike65 wrote: »
    Dudess this place is full of weirdos, very few of us normal folk in here.

Its ****e cos we are at a ****e latitude parked beside an ocean.
    But we've always been!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

True, but they often have defined seasons. Last weeks weather would be shyte for January.

But no air frost here - which is unusual even for April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But we've always been!

Which is why weather is often like this! :p

All we can do is hope and pray. or move to New Zealand.

Disingenuousness in the Weather forum - well I never! ;)

Weather enthusiasts are people too ya know!

I think we've been spoiled recently. Two record breaking warm Aprils in recent years, combined with the warm sunny spell at the end of March, is making the recent weather seem worse than it is.
    Ireland is only averaging around 0.5C below average so far. We've had quite a bit more rain than average this month, but equally, it's been a sunny month.

Nothing particularly weird going or shyte methinks, just typical weather:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I think we've been spoiled recently.

I don't call a couple of good Aprils, a warm May here and there, followed by 3 months of muck being "spoiled". Dudess is right - its shyte. Let's call a spade a spade here. Interesting shyte at times - but shyte none-the-less.

I don't call a couple of good Aprils, a warm May here and there, followed by 3 months of muck being "spoiled". Dudess is right - its shyte. Let's call a spade a spade here. Interesting shyte at times - but shyte none-the-less.

I meant spoiled as far as late springs have been recently, not the whole year.
    Not everybody wants dry mild weather all the time as soon as they reach April anyway. Weather in the sense of like and dislike is one of the more subjective things I can think of, so calling a spade a spade ain't entire suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Weather enthusiasts are people too ya know!

I think we've been spoiled recently. Two record breaking warm Aprils in recent years, combined with the warm sunny spell at the end of March, is making the recent weather seem worse than it is.
    Ireland is only averaging around 0.5C below average so far. We've had quite a bit more rain than average this month, but equally, it's been a sunny month.

Nothing particularly weird going or shyte methinks, just typical weather:pac:

Have to disagree just a little. I don't think peoples' perception of the current weather, or indeed April's weather as a whole, is someway marred by the relative warm spell at the end of March. April has been a cold month full stop; and though the stats would suggest that it is only between 0.5c and 1.0c below normal, what has been notable this month is the near constant northerly wind which just zaps any goodness out of it. For example I reached 12.6c here today but if felt as cold, if not colder than any winter's day due to that biting wind. In fairness though, it has been a sunny month as you say but sunshine in this country does not necessarily equate to warmth. Personally speaking, cold sunshine does nothing for me - I'd much prefer a warm cloudy (if that makes sense)

Weather is my passion as it is for a lot of people on here though so it is hard for me to be totally objective about it but objectively I would say April has been a statistically and synoptically interesting month, but subjectively, I would agree with H2U and Dudess that it has been pretty shyte weatherwise and not remotely interesting in the actual (here at least anyway!) Time for a bit of warmth at this stage!! :)

Roll on 40c and 150% RH

Well I've found it interesting. Being a cold fan, the frequent northerlies haven't bothered me, and the thunderstorm risk and the great cloudscapes made for some wonderful photo ops and fun radar watching.
    Personally, I'd consider endless south-westerlies, mild, mostly drizzly/wet weather as "shyte". Not what we've had this month, most of which I've enjoyed.
    I guess no matter what weather type we have, there are always going to be split opinions on it, so it doesn't matter really!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    But we've always been!
    Which is why weather is often like this! :p
    Late Aprils like bad Novembers? No it isn't!

I appreciate people here have a different take on weather, but bear in mind most of us are just clueless shmoes about weather and will consider getting hammered by a really cold wind and rain and looking at a dark grey sky to be really depressing when it's nearly May. So, anyone able to answer why it's so exceptionally and unusually bad?

Late Aprils like bad Novembers? No it isn't!

I appreciate people here have a different take on weather, but bear in mind most of us are just clueless shmoes about weather and will consider getting hammered by a really cold wind and rain and looking at a dark grey sky to be really depressing when it's nearly May. So, anyone able to answer why it's so exceptionally and unusually bad?

High pressure in the Atlantic for the first half of the month, steered generally slack northerly orientated winds across the country. During the second half, northern blocking sent low pressure systems further south than usual, so they crossed us directly or went to our south, giving us the slightly more prolonged periods of rain.

You can create an animation here of the synoptic charts the last month to see what happened http://www.knmi.nl/kd/daggegevens/weerkaarten/animate.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

my mam was in the shop earlier an she said she heard a few people talkin about this weekends weather was going to be very cold and its going to snow on saturday !!?

where do people get these ideas like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

NIALL D wrote: »
    my mam was in the shop earlier an she said she heard a few people talkin about this weekends weather was going to be very cold and its going to snow on saturday !!?

Glorious weather down the west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

NIALL D wrote: »

From weather charts maybe:p well it's not looking cold enough for widespread snow but will be very chilly and certainly wouldn't be out of the question to have sleet/snow showers at higher elevations this weekend

203253.png

203254.png

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Trogdor wrote: »
    From weather charts maybe:p well it's not looking cold enough for widespread snow but will be very chilly and certainly wouldn't be out of the question to have sleet/snow showers at higher elevations this weekend

203253.png

203254.png

thanks trogdor , i hadnt seen or heard any forcast for the weekend an with such a nice day out today i couldnt have imagined there would be a chance of it been that cold come the weekend !! -givin the fact we'r now in may !!

by the sounds of it though these oul biddys were expectin proper snow to lower levels ha ;)

@sappa , savage day here today too... great day for cuttin the lawn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It's still a long way off, in terms of weather.

GFS is playing with the idea of a high pressure centered over Ireland next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hope it ain't a Polar High. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Could be chilly indeed up north! ... Oh to be off this weekend for a road triP! ha :)

579536_10150881660931718_631736717_12459434_337606505_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

It's mad how it's 6C way up around the Faroe Islands and then -6 inland Ireland!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement