Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool regime to remain into May - often unsettled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sirpsycho wrote: »
    It's mad how it's 6C way up around the Faroe Islands and then -6 inland Ireland!

Ye that chart has since downgraded alot since... -2s a best and around the boarder. Ah sure... we couldnt of expected THAT Much cold in May surely? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Nothing noteworthy really on the horizon. Looks like night times in particular will be much colder then average overall with occasional frosty mornings with daytime temperatures cooler. And with low pressure meandering around heavy rain and showers will occur (scattered thunderstorms look likely on Monday). There is no sign of any settled weather on any of the models long term. A disappointing run in to Summer.

Later tonight showers could turn to sleet for a time in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

A glimmer of hope?

May850.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What's the latest recorded frost in irish records? or maybe there is frost recorded on every month of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/oct10_lores.pdf

Page 16.

Every month has seen sub-zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dublin (A) reports -2 at 0300h, lowest at Casement and Oak Park so far -1.

No other negative hourlies that I have seen anyway. Too much cloud further north.

(added) Casement at -3 for 0400h. Dublin continues -2, Oak Park and Gurteen -1.

Casement at -3 for 0500h, Oak Park at -2, Dublin and Gurteen -1.

Casement & Dublin at -3 for 0600h, Oak Park -2, Gurteen -1. Claremorris, Finner at 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Lowest overnight air / grass temperatures reported in the 06Z synops:

Casement -3.6 / -7
    Dublin Airport -3.0 / -6
    Oak Park -2.1 / -8
    Gurteen -1.8 / -5
    Finner -0.3 / -6
    Claremorris 0.2 / -2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Bird Bath was frozen this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Went to -3.1c here last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some information from the synops.

Casement reported frost on horizontal surfaces from 2-7 am, with it moderately severe from 4-6 am. They also reported a sudden rise in temperature of 6 °C in the 8 am synop (the 99606 group).

AAXX 06071 03967 42780 30000 10060 21003 30029 40144 52004 81502
    333 81656 83070 99606=

Dublin Airport reported frost from 1-6 am.

Cloud at both stations throughout was 1 okta altocumulus at 14-15000 ft, with 3/8 cirrus at 18-25000 ft reported at Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Light rain shower, wasn't expecting rain today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

It rained in Bray Co Wicklow today at about 12 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

-2.4c here on Saturday night. Gmin of -5.9c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

am fast losing hope for this summer, i watched a documentary about climate change the other night, and some of the consequences of global warming are a decrease in the salinity of the oceans, due to huge amounts of ice melting at the polar caps.

but this in turn effects the gulf stream, meaning that summers in northern europe become cooler and more wet due to the waning influence of the gulf stream on our climate.

i must say it was eerily on the ball given what we are experiencing this year and last.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this May has been really bleak, even more so than last year's. Central heating on full blast every day then large fire at night with no signs of this coming to a stop any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Holiday booked over the weekend,
    Actually I am hoping for nothing this summer,it's the best option with our dire climate.
    Hope for nothing and then be pleasantly surprised when the mercury goes beyond 17'c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Is anyone else feeling cold today? I'm loathe to keep putting on heat, but temp leaves me with no option - it's May FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

thewing wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling cold today? I'm loathe to keep putting on heat, but temp leaves me with no option - it's May FFS!

I thought it was quite pleasant here between the heavy showers today actually, warmest it's been here in over 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

who_ru wrote: »
    am fast losing hope for this summer, i watched a documentary about climate change the other night, and some of the consequences of global warming are a decrease in the salinity of the oceans, due to huge amounts of ice melting at the polar caps.

but this in turn effects the gulf stream, meaning that summers in northern europe become cooler and more wet due to the waning influence of the gulf stream on our climate.

i must say it was eerily on the ball given what we are experiencing this year and last.

I might be wrong, but I thought the influence of the Gulf stream was what caused us to have cool wet summers and mild wet winters in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

who_ru wrote: »
    i watched a documentary about climate change the other night

I find that alot of people don't check/question the sources of information these TV documentaries use, but just accept them as fact.

The models are playing with the idea of HP moving in over Irl & UK. It looks promising :) Cool, dry & sunny > Cool, wet & cloudy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

thewing wrote: »

Last week the Beeb said this bank holiday would be colder then Christmas - how right they were:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Last week the Beeb said this bank holiday would be colder then Christmas - how right they were:(.

I'm cuddling my hot waterbottle. I live in a draughty house and I'm freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

8.3c now max 12.2c in sligo

13.3c Christmas day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

pauldry wrote: »
    8.3c now max 12.2c in sligo

13.3c Christmas day

Christmas day minimum here: 10.4c; current temp 4.5c :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

More nasty weather on the cards Wednesday night/Thursday morning...we seem to be well stuck in this pattern...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ireland will remain on the cold side due to the tendency for pressure to remain high to the northwest and north. Inversely that means low pressure will be dominant over Ireland. There is no end in sight to this progression. It will be in to June before there is any hope of more settled warm weather. Also we are very close to having winter weather over the next couple of weeks. If the flow remains solid from the north than that is a possibility. Frost and low temperatures at night will continue and mountains will have snow caps. Sleet or wet snow can't be ruled out to low levels either. So it's a pretty cold run in to summer and synoptically if this was winter than we would be facing a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

darkman2 wrote: »
    Ireland will remain on the cold side due to the tendency for pressure to remain high to the northwest and north. Inversely that means low pressure will be dominant over Ireland. There is no end in sight to this progression. It will be in to June before there is any hope of more settled warm weather. Also we are very close to having winter weather over the next couple of weeks. If the flow remains solid from the north than that is a possibility. Frost and low temperatures at night will continue and mountains will have snow caps. Sleet or wet snow can't be ruled out to low levels either. So it's a pretty cold run in to summer and synoptically if this was winter than we would be facing a crisis.

depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

darkman2 wrote: »

Somebody debunk this ^^ PLEASE!!!!!!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterday was very depressing, we are currently spending more on heating than we did during the 'winter'. Hard to believe its May, it's so cold, yesterday was watching hailstones hoping up off the ground and the rain even looked quite sleety at times. December-February felt warm in comparison to what we have now. The charts for the next 3 weeks show no change, artic air pumped southwestwards across Ireland and most of the UK, while warm/hot weather begins to flood the European continent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement