Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth? Things I wish I knew before I left

Options
  • 20-04-2012 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I’ve been in Perth 6 months now and I just realised how much I rely on Boards.ie for advice and information but yet never give any back! So I’m bored in work so I thought I’d share my experience of Perth so far if you’re coming/thinking of coming/also bored in work.
    I’m a 22 year old female by the way (I know the name is misleading) and on a WHV, just looking for a year away from Ireland, to see how they live in upsidedown down and do a bit of travelling at the end. No plans to do a second year.
    Work
    I’ll start here as it seems to be what draws most people here – everyone I speak to lately on the East Coast seem to have plans to come here as they’ve heard work is plentiful.
    Obviously it’s totally industry specific so all I can do is give you my own experience – I studied journalism at home, decided I wasn’t going to waste too much time pursuing it here, it’s hard enough to break into the media in your home country never mind one that you have just arrived in (I did apply for a few in media with little responseL)
    So I decided to try pick up some admin work which is what I’d been doing at home while saving to get here. I started applying as soon as we found a place to live (more on that later) and had started work exactly one month after we moved in.
    It isn’t easy. I was applying for about 20 jobs per day – genuine effort involved, tailored CVs, long and detailed cover letters. I went the first week without hearing a thing at all. I wasn’t worried as I know these things take time. By the end of the third week I had started to panic. I applied to a couple of recruitment agencies looking for temp work but even they were slow to get back to me. One called me but said she couldn’t help me on a WHV as they only placed permanent staff. After 3 and a half weeks of trying my friend recommended a temp agency to me called Prime recruitment. I had my interview with Prime on Tuesday and had a start on the Monday – $28 p/h (pretty average for admin although I know people on a lot lower starting from $21) and it was in the city which was perfect. However, later that day I had another call back for an interview I’d had on the Tuesday and decided to go with that one instead – as it was direct employment with a company on a 6 month maternity contract. When it rains it pours I guess! So that was me and I’m still happily here now – best company I’ve ever worked for. Helps that they are one of the biggest companies in Australia I suppose but the perks are great, the atmosphere is laid back, I get on great with my colleagues and the work itself is grand – not too boring, not too challenging.
    As for my friends – one of the lads got a job in a warehouse, got the other lads in – this happens a fair bit, it’s true what they say about connections, they really do help you get a foot in the door. So talk to people! Let everybody know you are looking for work, so if something comes up they will think of you.
    The myth of ‘de moyins’:
    You don’t get zillion dollar an hour unskilled work in the mines. Everything you’ve heard is probably massively exaggerated. I know 2 guys who work in the mines, both qualified tradesmen with years of experience, and more importantly, connections – they knew people working there and so got their feet in the door. It’s hard, hard work and one of the lads told me it felt like a prison sentence going back each time after his week off. The money was good but not the mind-blowing figures some ****ehawks come out with. They were coming out with about $3k a week don’t even know if that was after tax. Suppose it would be good for someone willing to come over for a couple of years and save for a mortgage or something. I should mention they are not WHVers either. All the mines do for WHVers in Perth is push up the cost of living in the city. ($12 pint of bulmers anyone??)
    Getting a roof over your head
    This part wasn’t fun either. I’ll start with a bit of sound advice – book into a hostel in advance, and for at least two weeks. We had only booked 3 nights to start thinking we would get a flat pretty much straight away. All it meant was we had to keep adding extra nights and changing rooms, packing and unpacking and eventually having to find new hostels/stay with friends as most beds were full at such short notice. So give yourself some breathing space – unpack, chill out. I wish I had enjoyed my first couple of weeks a bit more but I was too stressed about finding somewhere to live. Wish I had have slowed down and drank some goon in the kitchen areas, met some new people!
    After 2 week s of searching we found a pretty average 2 bed close to the city (10 minute bus ride). The rent is crazy at $550 p/w but we were so desperate to get out of the hostels & just unpack that we took it. (found on gumtree by the way – didn’t have much luck with estate agents, they require a weeks rent as a deposit with each application and after 3 failed applications we gave up on them) We also had to accept a 6 month lease, which is the minimum for most places.
    We were looking at 4/5 places somedays, applied for about 10 I’d say. I don’t know if you’d call that difficult, it’s the first place I’ve ever rented so…
    Some people seem to find it really tough while others get extremely lucky – my friend who got a gorgeous 2 bed HOUSE, for 320 a week on a short term lease about 15 minutes from the city. Seems to be easier to get the bigger places, I know of groups of 7 or 8 who can rent a place easily enough cos they can afford 800-1000 bucks a week. Those houses usually have pools and stuff too so the more the merrier it seems when you’re house hunting
    $$$
    Everyone told me Perth was dear, in my head I was like yeah yeah I’ll really watch my money though, I’ve eat noodles everyday…but it just doesn’t happen like that does it? The whole $10 a drink thing really shocked me (in fairness its really only pubs in the city that charge this), that and the first time I went to buy a pack of smokes and a drink and was charged $24, I just thought it was mental. Drinking at home is pretty cheap, 6 pack of bottles/litre of spirits are about the same as home. And then there’s the famous goon – great fun at the time but the hangover is like nothing you’ve ever experienced , it’s what I imagine being paralysed would feel like
    You get used to the prices though and it stops being so strange when you start earning in Aussie $’s, you will learn to relax a little…! Eating out is pricey too (mainly the drinks that drive up the bill I find) but there are offers and specials out there for those who look hard enough – Durty Nellys on Murray St do a powerful steak with all the trimmings for $19 on Saturdays and Wednesdays. Have seen signs for $5/$12 steak/specials around the place – you just need to know where to go. Trying to think of other price examples hmmm bottle of coke is $4, pack of gum is $2.10 (I work in the city though so they may be Temple bar-esque prices I’m not sure) I find the phone credit deals good value, Vodafone international gives you 7c a minute calls home, and a nice bit of data for facebukin’ etc. $50 a month usually does me and seeing as you have to use it up within the month usually end up with hours of minutes to use up at the end.
    Shopping in general is pure gak (can only speak for the ladies). There’s no equivalent of Topshop or Penneys – the stuff is either really expensive if its’ anyway decent, or crap tacky crap if it’s cheap. Also the shops (again in the city) are laid out horribly – rails all squashed together, always crowded and they search your bag on the way out of the shops – annoys the crap out of me! Online shopping will be your friend here.
    You can save if you put your mind to it – you could be getting 800 a week, take of 250 for rent & food and keep in mind a (decent) night out in the city will probably cost you 150 +… work it out for yourselves J
    Nightlife
    As an Irish person coming here you will end up in Northbridge – it’s like the Temple Bar of Perth, loaaads of Irish, Asians, English, drinking fighting and puking. I’ve had a few good nights here & a few horrible ones. Rosie O’Gradys Irish pub is the main draw I suppose – I was there Paddy’s day which was great craic but in general I find it way too packed and a bit too ‘disneyland’ of an Irish pub – I like it midweek though, the foods nice and they do $6 backpacker nights on Thursdays with $6 pints.
    In general…
    Beautiful city, great place to live, excellent weather – the summer was unbelievable; gorgeous sunny clear days almost every day since early November. We’re coming into winter soon but it’s still early 20s and better than that still bright and clear so it’s not like the depressing winters at home.
    Rottnest is an absolute must, I only went for the day but it was one of the best trips I’ve taken. Try take a trip to Margaret River if you can or head North for camping. Some nice national parks about & Fremantle prison if you’re into history and stuff…
    That’s my 2 cents sorry it was so long it’s been a quiet day in work and I got carried away! Anyway, we will be leaving for the East coast soon and I’d love to read other people’s stories of how they got on over there or in any of the other major cities as I try to decide where to settle next. The job scene nightlife bla bla bla. Doing the whole smelly Camper Van thing from Cairns to Sydney if anyone has any advice for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Duckie88

Nice account of life in WA. Heading there with my petty Arts degree and boyfriend in tow, 2 months time. Thanks for the frank advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Great account. My best mate is living there and he has said much of the same. I was there years ago and it was a different place to live. My favourite city in oz. I told my mate to stay in The Underground Hostel in Northbridge direction as I has stayed there and it was mighty craic. He said it had turned into an Irish refugee centre and the criac didn't seem as mighty as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

wrmwit wrote: »
    He said it had turned into an Irish refugee centre and the criac didn't seem as mighty as before.

Pretty much. We had to stay there for three nights before we could move into our apartment as the hostel we were staying in was booked out.
    Probably the worst hostel I've ever stayed in, purely because of the people who were staying there. About 90% Irish who acted like scumbags all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Great account of life in perth. I am heading there in August. Good tip about the Hostel and booking in advance. What sort of Admin job are you doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

i must be lucky seeing as im here 6 weeks, got a job within my first 2 weeks cos i resisted the temptation to go on the lash when i arrived, instead getting up early, clear head,suited and booted, getting out there, meeting recruitment companies, applying for jobs. working in the city for an oil and gas company taking home 1300 a week.
    i live in a beautiful house in como cos i actually got off my ass and househunted. no journey was too great or too small, i visited loads of places
    i think irish people expect things to happen for them over here.

as for northbridge, if you're going to travel 5000 miles to hang around in ****ty irish bars thronged with smelly backpackers in monaghan and leitrim jerseys, then you deserve every bit of your $hit experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

i must be lucky seeing as im here 6 weeks, got a job within my first 2 weeks cos i resisted the temptation to go on the lash when i arrived, instead getting up early, clear head,suited and booted, getting out there, meeting recruitment companies, applying for jobs. working in the city for an oil and gas company taking home 1300 a week.
    i live in a beautiful house in como cos i actually got off my ass and househunted. no journey was too great or too small, i visited loads of places

as for northbridge, if you're going to travel 5000 miles to hang around in ****ty irish bars thronged with smelly backpackers in monaghan and leitrim jerseys, then you deserve every bit of your $hit experience

Can I ask why those two particular counties were picked out for your abusive comments??

Seems a bit flippant and disrespectful and even smugness through your whole comment about your luck for getting a job two weeks when arriving? It is quite common that the majority of people are coming over here looking to find permanent work and going through the whv visa system that you have used yourself and all the best to them as if it works its one of the best ways towards your residency. A lot are struggling to even get this these days as there's so much competition and you can be guranteed that the serious people are sure they won't get anything handed to them easily.

There is however a whole lot of actual backpackers doing a round the world tour and such while their young and not able to find employment in Ireland. Gaining unbelievable experiences that many of us wish we did after college, enjoying themselves while working away at casual jobs and your snobberyfor these backpackers absolute stinks of bitterness..

Northbridge has a reputation for alot of Irish hanging around it (two irish bars by the way) which is to be expected because lets be honest for most coming to Australia, Perth is the supposed first port of call for all the jobs but Northbridge is pretty much the backpacker central of Perth and there's thousands of other nationalities you will see there. Obviously you will see Irish alot but there is so many others there not always in your face. Your general sweeping statement stinks of all the cliches that you may have heard from your friends....

Mind you from a quick scan through your previous posts it seems you have a reputation.

My God two months has fairly changed you.........

24-02-12

im 31 now so the second visa aint an option. the pressure will be on to get sponosored. but im not going to rush it, if if happens, it happens. if not, at least i'l have a years experience in a great country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Good post.

Don't worry about the criticism by some, although a small bit of luck sometimes has to do with it I think your age and attitude is your main advantage. In this game it's a case of survival of the fittest.

But I should say no point bagging WHV'ers for holidaying, after all that's what it's intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Funny cause it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

This is the reason I avoid Northbridge. Coincidently one of the few times I was there I was started on by a guy in a Leitrim shirt, he had the collar popped and all. The funniest line he said was 'see that number on the back, that means I played inter county'
    Thankfully his friends dragged him off.

I havent been here very long but you can see the people who will make something of it and those who wont.
    I know a guy out here who is working whop has no skills and no job back home but is working 7 days a week and getting between 200 and 300 dollars a day. Its tough but I reckon that's the kind of attitude you need to have for Perth if you come here with no skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres nothing wrong with kids going to Australia for a year to slum it, get pissed in the sunshine and bang Danish backpacker girls. Not everyone wants to "make something of it", they are on a working HOLIDAY visa

• Advertisement

nothing at all wrong with that but the reality of it is that there are loads of people coming to Perth on a WHV because they have no work at home, getting pissed and sunburnt everyday and wistfully trying to bang anything that moves.

Then they complain its too hard to find jobs and accommodation in Perth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sundy wrote: »
    Then they complain its too hard to find jobs and accommodation in Perth.
    Well it is harder for WHVers to find accomodation and jobs in Perth (and elsewhere in Oz) because of floods of bloody annoying economic migrants from Ireland chasing the holy grail of sponsorship. Ruining it for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

Well if you read the first line of my post you’d see that all I was doing was giving an account of life here as a 22 year old backpacker, not a 31 year old trying to get sponsored.

Well done for getting a job/house so easily, for people with less life experience than yourself coming here on a WHV and actually wanting a WHV, things can be a bit harder, and it’s not down to laziness either. Most people of WHV have only ever lived at home – no rental references, just out of college, so it’s not just a case of get off you’re a$$ and house hunt. Like I said I was viewing 4/5 places a day, nothing was too far or near for me either mate. We were in very different situations.

As for Northbridge I agree with everything you said. Although I’m uncomfortable with this blind hatred towards anyone who wears a GAA jersey – you don’t like them, don’t wear them, get over it! It doesn’t make you this cool metropolitan ‘non-typical’ Irish person to go on and on about how uncool they are and what some moran who happened to be wearing a GAA jersey did to your friend last weekend. It’s boring!! Some Irish backpackers are idiots because they’re young and think they are on a permanent holiday, as are some English, Scottish, Asian, Kiwi backpackers, whether they are wearing a jersey or not.
    Anyway there are plenty of nice boozers in Perth in the suburbs and the city itself outside Northbridge. It’s like a strip on a holiday resort, if that’s not your scene, avoid, no need for the aggro directed at those who do, like I said they are after a different experience so leave them to it! God I hate begrudgers looking down on what is essentially young people having fun, their idea of fun that it, not yours.

Also I forgot to add to my account – buy a car immediately if at all possible it will really help with viewing apartments and stuff as the Perth ‘burbs are pretty spread out. Even the scrap heaps over here are pretty pricey so expect to pay about $1000 - $1500 for something that drives and don’t go near anything without rego (like a combined tax/NCT cert). Besta luck.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Well it is harder for WHVers to find accomodation and jobs in Perth (and elsewhere in Oz) because of floods of bloody annoying economic migrants from Ireland chasing the holy grail of sponsorship. Ruining it for everyone!

Funny thing is 457 Sponsorship visa is far from the holy grail, it has to be the most restrictive visa out there.

You would be safer jumping on a rickety boat from Indonesia and burning your passport.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Funny thing is Sponsorship visa is far from the holy grail, it has to be the most restrictive visa out there.

You would be safer jumping on a rickety boat from Indonesia and burning your passport.
    856 is the holy grail and hopefully I'll have mine soon enough.

Sundy wrote: »
    856 is the holy grail and hopefully I'll have mine soon enough.

Sorry about that you are right, I have corrected it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

CiaranC wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with kids going to Australia for a year to slum it, get pissed in the sunshine and bang Danish backpacker girls. Not everyone wants to "make something of it", they are on a working HOLIDAY visa

Don't be looking back in years to come thinking "I should have worked more in Perth and made more $$$".
    Look back and think "I banged an obscene amount of Danish backpackers in Perth and had a f**king ball."

THAT'S living.....:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

seachto7 wrote: »
    Don't be looking back in years to come thinking "I should have worked more in Perth and made more $$$".
    Look back and think "I banged an obscene amount of Danish backpackers in Perth and had a f**king ball."

THAT'S living.....:);)

thats what i did 20yrs ago, but i wasn't fussy and banged anything that would let me bang them:D,,,,,,, what a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

posting to access later

Advertisement