Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skipping the Queue?

• 20-04-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

Yesterday after work I was picking up some stuff in Centra, just 5 or 6 items. When the person on front of me was finished paying I was next up but before the cashier began scanning my items a man walked over and handed her 20 euro. He was paying for a Cornetto he left on the till as he had to run out to the ATM.

Did he skip the queue?

Presumably he was there previously to pay but had to get cash and so left his place. It wouldn't have bothered me except it took about 5 minutes for him to pay as the cashier had to get change for him as she didn't have enough in her till (granted, that's not his fault).

What is the acceptable thing to do in that situation? Rejoin the queue or jump to the front? Does it matter that he only had one item or is it rude regardless?

Enlighten me, AH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Let him go ahead of you. Although he could have mentioned it to you instead of just jumping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Slunk wrote: »
    Let him go ahead of you. Although he could have mentioned it to you instead of just jumping in.
    The absolute neck of him! A cornetto indeed, no doubt a chocolate one too, shooting is too good for him!:mad:

Now if it had of been one of those new caramel magnums that would be different:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seachmall wrote: »
    Yesterday after work I was picking up some stuff in Centra, just 5 or 6 items. When the person on front of me was finished paying I was next up but before the cashier began scanning my items a man walked over and handed her 20 euro. He was paying for a Cornetto he left on the till as he had to run out to the ATM.

Did he skip the queue?

Presumably he was there previously to pay but had to get cash and so left his place. It wouldn't have bothered me except it took about 5 minutes for him to pay as the cashier had to get change for him as she didn't have enough in her till (granted, that's not his fault).

What is the acceptable thing to do in that situation? Rejoin the queue or jump to the front? Does it matter that he only had one item or is it rude regardless?

Enlighten me, AH.

He could have acknowleged you and said something to you

like get out of me fcuking way ina hurry here and i have only one yoke to pay for ya muppet.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

He skipped the que.
    he obviously went to pay and realized he had no money. then left the que.

Fair enough if he was just grabbing an item near by, but he left to take money out.

He was rude and should of really taking his ice cream with him, got his money out and then rejoined.

He prob didn't even apologize either:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

in fairness he could have offered ya a lick of his cornetto for your trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

personally i wouldn't do it but at the same time i wouldn't take offense to it. did you already have your stuff on the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I know where I'd like to stick his Cornetto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Could he not have payed by laser?

You have to have a min of €10 to use your laser or any card in most places now

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I know where I'd like to stick his Cornetto.

-_- .... Not sure if expressing anger or describing a fetish for inserting frozen dairy products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

FatherLen wrote: »
    personally i wouldn't do it but at the same time i wouldn't take offense to it. did you already have your stuff on the counter?

Ya.

He didn't acknowledge me when doing it and I didn't confront him about it as I instantly recognised the philosophical conundrum (think Aristotle wrote about this very issue).

Had it been more items I think the cashier would have said something, if not then I would have but as it was only one item I found myself in a situation I didn't know how to deal with.

I've since scripted the following should the situation arise again,

"I gotta tell you: I'd be very, very careful who you skip in this queue, because the person you skipped... is dangerous. And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from Centra to Centra with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into queue jumpers and cashiers.

This might be someone you've never known. But someone very,
    [Take step forward] very close to you. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ya.

He didn't acknowledge me when doing it and I didn't confront him about it as I instantly recognised the philosophical conundrum (think Aristotle wrote about this very issue).

Had it been more items I think the cashier would have said something, if not then I would have but as it was only one item I found myself in a situation I didn't know how to deal with.

I've since scripted the following should the situation arise again,

"I gotta tell you: I'd be very, very careful who you skip in this queue, because the person you skipped... is dangerous. And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from Centra to Centra with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into queue jumpers and cashiers.

This might be someone you've never known. But someone very, [Take step forward] very close to you. "

:p Well done that should do it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It happened yesterday and you started a thread about it today. You need to get over it and forget about it.

It happened yesterday and you started a thread about it today. You need to get over it and forget about it.

Maybe, I'll see what my psychiatrist says about it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

He skipped the queue... if you leave the queue you should rejoin it at the back. Also it should be a fairly basic concept to grasp that if you want to purchase an item you must first have the money required to pay for said item... So go to the ATM before you queue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Yes, he skipped the Queue. I probably wouldnt have said anything to him, but i would have been silently seething......

I cant stand people skipping the queue to pay for petrol..even when they have the right amount etc..its just rude. But that's a whole other thread for a whole other day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Work out how many seconds you lost to this brazen effrontery and submit an invoice for your valuable time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

At least it wasn't a can of coke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

was he a german??

ve vait for no one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Yes he did skip the queue. I work in Lidl and some customers put up to 5 items on the belt and then go causally:confused: walk around doing some more shopping. When I take the things off, because the next customer is standing waiting to pay, I am abused by the one who went for walkies. This happens EVERY day, and can cause a lot of problems for staff and other waiting customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

dollyk wrote: »
    Yes he did skip the queue. I work in Lidl and some customers put up to 5 items on the belt and then go causally:confused: walk around doing some more shopping. When I take the things off, because the next customer is standing waiting to pay, I am abused by the one who went for walkies. This happens EVERY day, and can cause a lot of problems for staff and other waiting customers.

Or the people who when there is a large queue 1 goes up with a single item and some do gooder who is uppacking their trolly says "oh go ahead there sure you got only one item" only for the other half to come with their fully laden trolly and start unloading their stuff on the belt.

I call this cuckoo queuing where the person queuing is more or less pushed out of the queue while trying to be half dacent.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

and don't get me started on people with loaded trollies at the 10 items or less till....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

chickendinners probably msg free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Russians are the worse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    You have to have a min of €10 to use your laser or any card in most places now

Pay by 'Laser' - what? How could you pay by Laser?

That's like something you'd hear on one of them Star Trek shows with the Kirk guy from TJ Hooker that also starred that hot young girl that went out with the guitarist from the metal rock band Bon Jovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

LillySV wrote: »
    my boyfriend and i were in dunnes stores in terryland in galway and there is a layout there where one queue is formed for two till operators...we were waiting in the queue and it was just about to be our turn when this young lazily dressed college student (there does be loads of em there as they reside in student accommodation across the road) and he's barely dressed girlfriend, followin him in tow, cut straight by us to go up to the sales assistant, almost knocking an older woman standin near by. My boyfriend tapped him on the back and said to him that there was a queue formed for the sales registers. I forget the exact answer but it was somethin along the lines of "im queuein here, ill stand and go where i want" to which my boyfriend replied, "fair enough, we'l see about that". the sales assistant seen all this and still took that pup knowin he had skipped the queue. As it happens we were quicker on the next till and as my boyfriend was walkin by him he bumped his shoulder off this aggressive young hardy student who fairly piped down then!:D My boyfriend would have broke him in two!:D

The simple fact of the matter though is that dunnes staff should have done something after what that little pup did and at least sent him to the back of the queue, or even have him ejected from store for bouncin off the woman...they didnt...and thats why we wont go there anymore.

What a knight in shining armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

He skipped.

Same thing happened to me last week and I just jumped in line again, no biggie.

The worst piece of queue skipping I have seen is when I was queuing up for a flight with Lufthansa. This what looked like business man thought he was ninja sneaking through the line. He was trying to make it look like he was in the priority queue...Then quickly jumped in to the other line. Really pathetic as our seats were all numbered anyway! It wasn't like someone was going to rob his seat when we got on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

What a knight in shining armour.

just had a quick look through your threads...do ya just try and be smart against evryone out there??a good majority of threads suggests that....why dont ya go buy yourself a stress ball or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ah the poor lad, it's a nice sunny evening, he's gasping for an ice cream so he pops into the shop, grabs a Cornetto then queues to pay.

All of a sudden, it's his turn next, he puts his hand in his pocket only to find..... nothing!!!! He paid for lunch for himself and the missus, she didn't have her purse so he took care of the bill.

Panic sets in. He says to the cashier "Do you take laser?". She looks blankly at him and then mumbles "Ya wha!!". He repeats his question. As she files her nails oblivious to his prediciment she twitters "Ya have to have over ten eura worth of stuff bud".

He places his Cornetto on the counter and scans the shelves to see would it be worth it to pick up another €8.80 worth of goods for the sake of having a deliciously cold creamy Cornetto. Then..... BAM! He spys the ATM. "Can I leave this here, I'll be back in a second after I get money from the ATM".

"Ya whatever", chirps the non interested shop girl.

It takes just 2.7 minutes to go to the ATM, insert the card, key in his PIN and ask for €10. NOOOO!!!!! the machine screams, only multiples of 20's allowed. He gets his €20 and runs back to the till.

There's a queue but his Cornetto is in prime position and the slackjawed shopgirl shes him coming, surley she'll be ready. He quickly pays and takes his Cornetto to leave.

Unbeknownst to him though, right behind him at the top of the queue, a person mentally plots his demise in a most horrible way as they have been delayed for 5.8 seconds. "How dare he jump the queue?" mulls the irate queue stander, "This will go on Boards.ie tomorrow for all to see, and surely the people of Ireland will agree that this is a gross injustice, a travesty of monumental proportions and will hopefully will blame the incident on the Public Service or Enda Kenny".

Meanwhile outside the man falls to his knees on the foothpath cursing the gods above as he raises his melted Cornetto skyward. "Whyyyyyyyyy?????"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

silly wrote: »
    and don't get me started on people with loaded trollies at the 10 items or less till....:mad:

And those bloody signs should read 'ten items or fewer' not 'ten items or less'!!

/Stephen Fry grammar nazi

Plazaman wrote: »
    delayed for 5.8 seconds.

In fairness it was closer to 5 minutes as she had to call for change for her till which took forever.

None-the-less I quite enjoyed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

And those bloody signs should read 'ten items or fewer' not 'ten items or less'!!

/Stephen Fry grammar nazi

;):p

Pay by 'Laser' - what? How could you pay by Laser?

That's like something you'd hear on one of them Star Trek shows with the Kirk guy from TJ Hooker that also starred that hot young girl that went out with the guitarist from the metal rock band Bon Jovi.

Emmmmm WTF
    never hear of a laser card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Enlighten me, AH.

You've come to the wrong place for that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Should have stabbed him in the spine

• Advertisement

You've come to the wrong place for that. :D

I was going to say "Discuss" but decided against it.

Plus, AH is like the Buddha, Dali Lama and Plato of Boards all rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

i was in the zoo and tayto park recently and I have to say that i was shocked by the amount of people skipping queues and in the majority of cases it was all women!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Ah the old chat and cut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

whenever i get the bus, the amount of people that skip the que is unreal, people come froma all different angles and a lot of time you have to push your way through to get on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Plazaman wrote: »
    Ah the poor lad, it's a nice sunny evening, he's gasping for an ice cream so he pops into the shop, grabs a Cornetto then queues to pay.

All of a sudden, it's his turn next, he puts his hand in his pocket only to find..... nothing!!!! He paid for lunch for himself and the missus, she didn't have her purse so he took care of the bill.

Panic sets in. He says to the cashier "Do you take laser?". She looks blankly at him and then mumbles "Ya wha!!". He repeats his question. As she files her nails oblivious to his prediciment she twitters "Ya have to have over ten eura worth of stuff bud".

He places his Cornetto on the counter and scans the shelves to see would it be worth it to pick up another €8.80 worth of goods for the sake of having a deliciously cold creamy Cornetto. Then..... BAM! He spys the ATM. "Can I leave this here, I'll be back in a second after I get money from the ATM".

"Ya whatever", chirps the non interested shop girl.

It takes just 2.7 minutes to go to the ATM, insert the card, key in his PIN and ask for €10. NOOOO!!!!! the machine screams, only multiples of 20's allowed. He gets his €20 and runs back to the till.

There's a queue but his Cornetto is in prime position and the slackjawed shopgirl shes him coming, surley she'll be ready. He quickly pays and takes his Cornetto to leave.

Unbeknownst to him though, right behind him at the top of the queue, a person mentally plots his demise in a most horrible way as they have been delayed for 5.8 seconds. "How dare he jump the queue?" mulls the irate queue stander, "This will go on Boards.ie tomorrow for all to see, and surely the people of Ireland will agree that this is a gross injustice, a travesty of monumental proportions and will hopefully will blame the incident on the Public Service or Enda Kenny".

Meanwhile outside the man falls to his knees on the foothpath cursing the gods above as he raises his melted Cornetto skyward. "Whyyyyyyyyy?????"

you sir, are a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Since it was one item, and because the Centra tills wouldn't hold a transaction to come back to, this would've pissed me off. If it was me I would've left the ice cream back to go to the ATM, and grabbed it again once I'd gotten my money.
    viztopia wrote: »
    ... i was shocked by the amount of people skipping queues and in the majority of cases it was all women!

Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Zombot wrote: »
    He skipped the queue... if you leave the queue you should rejoin it at the back. Also it should be a fairly basic concept to grasp that if you want to purchase an item you must first have the money required to pay for said item... So go to the ATM before you queue!!

He skipped the queue - in a big way.

I shop in Lidl. Always big queues.

Think of the alternative:
    So, I walk into my lidl. Join a queue at the back until another customer joins it after me .... maybe a buttoned-down, Oxford-cloth psycho ....
    I then leave the queue. Wander around with my freely provided box doing my shopping and then casually bump my way to the position in the queue that I had been in earlier - in front of my new friend who's now probably frothing at the mouth with clenching fists and popping head veins.
    What's to stop anyone from using the same scenario or - 'I forgot something'.... or .... 'I forgot to go to the ATM' -all the time??

My opinion - it's pure bad manners and the wrath of the entire shop should unequivocally tell him / her to f ug off back to the end of some queue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

As long as he's not skipping the dole queue because he's late for work I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

This is a good argument for armed citizens, if this happened in Texas the sound of the rest of the queue drawing and cocking their personal handguns would definitely have made him think again. :cool:

Or in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Should've done this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aggiem

If he'd gone to end of the queue his Cornetto would have melted! Be reasonable, he must have rushed out and back so that he could have that particular ice-cream. Ahh! bless....... He needed an ice-cream after all that rushing about.

Advertisement