Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breeds match owners personalities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I have two dogs - a terrier cross pup (11mths) and a shih tzu (1yr and 9 mths).

I think there is a bit of my personality in both of them.

I picked my terrier out of the rescue as she was amongst alot of other pups in one little room and as soon as we went in they all rushed to the glass trying to get our attention. I noticed a tiny pup trying her best to get up front but the other pups kept knocking her back and she wasn't able. So I picked her because I thought she was a little determined one.

Now she is much bigger than expected and is a looper. She loves a crowd (like me) and i call her my little party girl.

Where as my shih tzu is completely the opposite. Anything for a quite life and loves her comfort! I love my comfort too! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We rehomed a Great Dane last year (now aged 4 yrs) and have just rehomed a 6-mo Rottie & a 6-mo German Sheperd. Guess we're big breed people :D

I think these breeds (and the particular dogs we have) match us well - independent, free thinkers, laid back, lovable & loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

Siberian husky...

Handsome, hard working, energetic, active, very intelligent, loves running, weekends away in the car at the beach... Loves kids and gets on with strangers. Favourite foods are chicken, steak and eats like a horse. Always clean and self grooming!

And that's just me!!!! ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

I didn't get the chance to pick my guy, but if a good combination of comfort (snuggles!) and keeping busy (always on the go when he's awake) is anything to go by, we're probably a perfect match. :)

He's a shaggy lab poodle cross, very quick and smart but still a total (and utterly loveable) pup at the back of it all. Nearly pulled my arm out of his socket when he got mooed at the other day while out walking - hope he settles down soon! But then... I never did!!! :D

389684_10100756029652569_25822580_51667855_950506423_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have no faith in questionnaires that claim to reveal personality & I believe that individual dogs, rather than breeds, reflect their owners. I have three different breeds & they are all very similar in that they are chilled & confident. All my previous dogs have been the same & I have never chosen a breed except for Boxers many years ago. The first time that I took my rescue Saluki to the Vets he explained that they tended to be a bit highly strung & nervous whereas she is the total opposite.

I think that the whole breed personality thing is wrong. For example people will decide that a Lab is best with children or that another breed is a better guard dog. In a home environment a dog is what you make it & not what it's breed says it should be. The study divides dogs into arbitrary groups probably because human psychologists are obsessed with putting us into categories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

LOL at owners of greyhounds being emotionally stable:D

It would be more interesting to have a report on dogs taking on their owners personalities - do aggressive people have aggressive dogs. Do extroverts have extrovert dogs? Dogs are so good at reading their owners, I'm convinced my dog has taken on some of my traits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

My shepherd is active, fit, handsome, goes straight in with the tongue and women stop him on the street to hug and rub him. I fucking wish he took after me.

My lab is smelly, loves lazing around the place and eating. Think there might be a case there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

@ Lady - that is one gorgeous dog!!!

My shepherd is active, fit, handsome, goes straight in with the tongue and women stop him on the street to hug and rub him. I fucking wish he took after me.

My lab is smelly, loves lazing around the place and eating. Think there might be a case there alright.

Or do you mean that you wish that you took after him :D
    planetX wrote: »
    LOL at owners of greyhounds being emotionally stablebiggrin.gif

Speak for yourself. I am stable as long as I take the pills biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"Drawn to breeds that match their personality?" What rot! I'm 'drawn to' anything from a JRT to an Irish Water Spaniel, Great Dane, PBT, and loads of other breeds.

Never read so much nonsense in my life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Short, hairy and enjoys licking his own arse. Nope doesn't describe me at all thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hmm I know this is about dogs but Im describing my cats :D one is a skinny slinky racehorse of a cat who loves to meow the place down and has a constant case of the zoomies. Def not me! The other is a pampered princess who turns her nose up at yucky wet food, sleeps on golden cushions and uses her brother as a pillow. I think were more along the same lines with the laziness :D

Zapperzy wrote: »
    and enjoys licking his own arse. Nope doesn't describe me at all thankfully.

But even if you had the desire you wouldn't be able to reach :pac:

It would of been an interesting twist to evolution if we greeted each other by sniffing nether regions :D
    kylith wrote: »
    Never read so much nonsense in my life...

I agree but in any case I didn't choose my dogs - they arrived.

This "study" might of come up with a different result if it had been done by dog experts rather than so called human experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Na, it says gundog owners are agreeable. Myself and himself are the most cantankerous pair of moaners and don't put up with any shiite. :D The only people we tend to agree with are each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

@ Lady - that is one gorgeous dog!!!

Thanks westies!!! :D I'll pass on the compliment - he loves to be told what a good lookin man he is! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One of mine is nutty as squirrel poo (as my daughter likes to say:p), the other has identity issues...she thinks she's a cat at times:o

What does this say about me?
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

doesn't like cats, likes most people, has a tendency towards occasional grouchiness and has a messy tangly mop of hair. Yes that's me :D She's way more stubborn than I am though and if anyone tries to suggest otherwise... well I'll argue my point til they agree with me :pac:
    I only wish I shared her ambivalence towards food :(

Advertisement