Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3 open beta this weekend

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »
    Can't login...error 3004. Waste of a download it looks like. This is why i ****ing hate having to access a server to play a single player game.

have you been able to get on at all?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasn't here yesterday, so this is my first attempt. Will try again later, but not too bothered tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kiith wrote: »
    Can't login...error 3004. Waste of a download it looks like. This is why i ****ing hate having to access a server to play a single player game.

I'm getting the same.
    Didn't have a chance to play it Friday or yesterday, so today was my only hope for the weekend...but looks like a no go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Error 3004 is if you're server is set to Europe isn't it? Try changing it to The Americas and you should get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Error 3004 is if you're server is set to Europe isn't it? Try changing it to The Americas and you should get in.
    I don't think that's it. I've been playing and it crashed out of the server. It would give the 3004 error for a few tries and then let me log back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just tried there myself, got in first time no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Error 3006 now :S :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

started and finished act 1 with a barbarian and got 2 rares off the king :)

first time i bet him i only got 1 and all the subsequent times i've gotten none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Varik wrote: »
    started and finished act 1 with a barbarian and got 2 rares off the king :)

first time i bet him i only got 1 and all the subsequent times i've gotten none.

I read a blizzard post that every time you kill a big boss you get at least one rare, and one class item. Then every subsequent time you kill the same boss the normal magic find rules apply. This rule is refreshed every time you go up a difficulty. Not sure if it works like this in the beta, but its confirmed by Blizzard to work in the final build

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I didn't get a rare from the boss.

• Advertisement

I read a blizzard post that every time you kill a big boss you get at least one rare, and one class item. Then every subsequent time you kill the same boss the normal magic find rules apply. This rule is refreshed every time you go up a difficulty. Not sure if it works like this in the beta, but its confirmed by Blizzard to work in the final build

Every time with a new character?

I've killed him with 3 different character and only gotten something with 2, but i've never gotten anything a second time with the same character.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does anyone know if they've done away with scrolls altogether, like the portal and identify? I quite liked those because it made if a big decision if you ever needed to drop something in case it was valuable. Now, with the portal button, you just pop back, sell everything and return to where you were.

Is this how the final game is, or did they just simplify this for the Beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

could someone please clarify how the game runs for me? is it online only or both off and on. looks very good but just cant find this info anywhere, so many conflicting opinions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TheGunns wrote: »
    could someone please clarify how the game runs for me? is it online only or both off and on. looks very good but just cant find this info anywhere, so many conflicting opinions

you need a constant internet connection and you can play with other people in co op,is this what your looking for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got into the game today and completed the beta, great game! cant wait to continue it when the game is finally released!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another of my random minor gripes.

The physics work really well but they're cranked up way too high.
    I'd rather a dude gets cut clean in half if I hit him with a big axe rather than sending him into orbit.

I like that you don't have to spend all day picking up gold - it's automatic.
    Im not sure whether I like the not having to identify things. I suppose it's no biggy.

I'm not sure I like the removal of attribute requirements for weapons. It was nice picking up something like a rare full plate mail and having to wait a while to be able to use it. Gave you something to look forward to. It also made there be a point to having a stash.

There are items that have things like "+1 to strength". Where can you actually see these attributes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's hidden on the character screen, open that, click on details and it's all in there :)

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Per character and/or per difficulty, the first kill will always drop a rare (Yellow) and a Class item.

So, for example, you roll a Witch Doctor.
    Witch Doctor on Normal kills SKing for the first time, gets Rare X and Class Y... Witch Doctor repeats mission on same difficulty, gets two blues (Forever and ever when you replay this character/mission). Witch Doctor starts over on Nightmare Difficulty, kills SKing, gets Rare X and Class Y... Player then rolls a Demon Hunter back on Normal, kills SKing, gets Rare X and Class Y... Etc etc etc etc

This rule does indeed apply to beta - First kill on SKing dropped me a WDoctor Off-Hand Doll (Blue) and a Rare (Yellow) Leather Pants. 5 kills on SKing after the initial completion gave 2 random blues from then on.

Thinking back i don't remember if i did actually beat him with my witch doctor :confused:

Edit: turns out it either didn't drop the first time or it went some where it shouldn't have and i couldn't see or pick it up.

Can that not be abused, say i make a new character join your game where you beat him mostly solo and i get a new rare which is followed by deleting the character and starting again.
    Gbear wrote: »
    The physics work really well but they're cranked up way too high. I'd rather a dude gets cut clean in half if I hit him with a big axe rather than sending him into orbit.

There may be more choice i think i had the option of setting a rune to send them flying or do on of a few other things.
    I like that you don't have to spend all day picking up gold - it's automatic. Im not sure whether I like the not having to identify things. I suppose it's no biggy.

It kind of makes it pointless when you don't have to do anything other than click on it. It's like perma death with infinite continues.
    I'm not sure I like the removal of attribute requirements for weapons. It was nice picking up something like a rare full plate mail and having to wait a while to be able to use it. Gave you something to look forward to. It also made there be a point to having a stash.

Trading between your characters seems to be it's main use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I was really impressed bar obvious things like the server performance (the whole point of the test, really) and the loooow difficulty.

The one thing that does irk me though it the way all skill damage is based on your weapon. Now in itself thats a good idea, creates a constant balance between skills.

The problem is, in that case they really need to be more limiting of what each class can use or at least impose a penalty for using completely senseless weapons. As it is it not only doesn't make sense but will make powerful weapons of equal value to most/all classes, which seems counter productive to encouraging trade.

For example, wizard spell damage lacking? Equip a ruddy great battle axe and watch that magic missile wreck everything.... wait what? :pac:

Took a while for me to get in, and seems very easy (start of the game obviously), but i really enjoyed it. Didn't play much, as i don't want to spoil it, but it's definitely increased my anticipation for the game. Few things i didn't like (some sound effects are really annoying for example, server performance etc...), but overall a really enjoyable game.

Roll on the 15th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

For example, wizard spell damage lacking? Equip a ruddy great battle axe and watch that magic missile wreck everything.... wait what? :pac:

You will be attacking significantly slower, Which balances out the increased damage.

Overall quite impressed by the beta, Finished it 5 times with 3 characters. Still have to decide on what I want to play as on release however:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

You will be attacking significantly slower, Which balances out the increased damage.

Fair enough but that's not my issue with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Very enjoyable

Went through the full beta Friday night with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed the co-op aspect. There was three of us and it was great fun.

Cant wait for release

Played a wizard and had some really good aoe and CC abilities, also went through as a barbarian

They where what I originally planned and I'm sticking with it, Barbarians are absolute beasts?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

barbs are insane alright - had the most fun with him out of all the chars, but the bro has dibs on him :P

Im going wiz or monk I reckon. Wiz starting spells (up to 10 or so) are pretty uninspired though.. hopefully they pick up.

Is there anywhere to see the full skill tree's for various characters? They seemed pretty small from what little i saw of them. Does it give you the opportunity to have completely different build like Diablo 2?

Nm, the tree's are on the official page.

Weird experience for me. Loved D2 but wasn't overly excited about D3, something I'd play but not counting the days for.

First run through the Demo and I wasn't blown away, but by the end of the weekend I have played all classes to 10, and two to 13 and actually find the game much deeper than I expected.

To answer some of the points above:

Difficulty
    The demo is easy. I didn't die once on any characters, and my wife who is not a gamer only died once completing it.

That said - Diablo games are like this, very straight forward and then Bang - you meet a boss who completely face melts you and all of a sudden you need to start thinking about what you are doing. On later levels you will be going backwards a lot, with Hordes of enemies getting on top of you and you try and whittle down the front line while you retreat. It's a different take on hack and slash but it gets very fun and actually very technical and strategic from a micro and a macro point of view.

Classes
    There are obvious underlying basics that run through all the classes and when you play them you can see they are based in some way on a common template. However - the variety really branches out and even before level 13 I was seeing a level of customisation that I have not seen in other games. Think about recent RPG / MMO's and what abilities and depth was available after 2 hours of play...?

Graphics
    Blizzard games are never the best looking games on the market, but they usually run on anything with very little overhead. I'd rather it be this way than have something like SWTOR which didn't look amazing and ran like a slideshow presentation.

Also bear in mind that later in the game you will be seeing huge numbers of mobs on the screen and if they overcooked the look, performance would really start to struggle.

Wasn't overly sold on the game, but will be getting it now and am quite looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've never played any of the Diablo games, but gave this a spin at the weekend and I thought it was rather a lot of fun. Hack n Slash, plenty of things to kill, plenty of places to explore, but I would agree with others that it did seem a little bit too easy.

Looks wise, I thought it was great actually.

There were some glitches in animations and I found the lag in multiplayer stuff pretty poor. Thought the ability to talk to my team mates needed to be looked at - right clicking on a flat should, IMO pop a dialog box to do certain social interactions like "send message" or "add as friend" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im pretty sure you can rclick on the character avatars (top left of screen), to do various things like that - inspect, send message, add as friend etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I played as a monk, great fun.
    Kinda miss the paladin, but monk isn't a bad replacement.

Didn't have time to play any other classes, but just as well. Dont want to know too much pre-release.

I thought it was very good. It's an updated/better (looks like it could be anyway) version of diablo 2.

Not sure about the whole skills though, I miss the old trees that had dependancies on skill points spent elsewhere etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Ok so finally got some free time last night and ran through it with the Monk and I have to say it is a completely different game then the beta I played almost a year ago. A lot more polish which is expected but they have completely redone the skill system and how it works and I have to say even though I was disappointed to see the end of the D2 style trees I think this will work.

The rune system is where we will see different play styles emerge, I just hope each rune is still effective at end game and that the highest or higher tier runes aren't just much better than the lower level ones making them obsolete. The very first Monk rune of teleporting to your target on attack seems like it will be useful however so hopefully the idea is to have all these runes available and all have their uses for different set-ups and play styles.

And guys for those of you saying the game is worryingly easy, this is the very beginning of the game and the very first sub-boss. It's pretty much the tutorial if anything. Normal difficulty will be a breeze but I can guarantee you Hell and the new 60+ Inferno will be crazy tough don't worry.

Advertisement