Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get off the couch! Tips on training?

• 20-04-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I am hoping someone with more experience in training dogs can jump on here and give me some advice.

I have two (relatively) well trained, intelligent dogs. They do not take long to pick up new tricks, commands or games. They are receptive to verbal commands, praise and treats, particularly whilst inside.

So, what's the problem?

The couch. Specifically, keeping them off it when I am not there.

Since we are about to have a baby, we decided to move all pets out of the bedroom, where they used to sleep, and move them to the living room. After a few nights of barking at shadows, this has gone well. We put their two beds in the living room for them, and they are both happy to curl up on them whenever I am in the room - and considering I work from home, this is often 18 hours a day. They never, ever get onto the couch when I am there to see it. They never, ever get on to the couch when I am at home and awake. This is down to hours of training when they were smaller.

So, they only get on the couch at night, after I have gone to bed. Now, I need to get up to pee a LOT, so if I am ninja-like, I can catch them on the couch. Usually I do not even need a verbal command to get them back to their bed - they hop down and curl up in their own space as soon as they see me. If necessary, I make the At-At-At noise to wake them, and then praise them when they go to their own bed.

Far more frequently, my ninjing is not up to scratch, and i'll find them both already in their bed. I normally tell them both 'good girls' and leave it at that.

Is there anything I can do to keep them on the floor throughout the night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Would it be possible to move them into the kitchen? If the couch isn't there then it can't be an option? I know there's no way in hell I'd be able to keep my fella off the couch if I wasn't there to tell him to get down, he just loves it!

Would you sleep on the floor beside a lovely bed? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

They would see that as a punishment, it's cold and dark, and they just don't like it. Our fault entirely, as we used to leave them in there when going to work, and they got bad seperation anxiety - which resulted in them basically eating through the kitchen door.

They are happy in the living room, and with a new baby on the way, I want my dogs to be as happy as they can be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You could try making the couch a little less pleasant. For instance, a layer of tin foil, maybe a layer of scrunched up plastic bags, then another layer of tin foil? Or maybe a sheet of tarpaulin? Something that makes the couch less comfortable, or makes a mildly unpleasant noise or sensation when jumped on? I know this can work, then again i've known some dogs to roll in the tin foil only for the owner to come home and find the dog wrapped up like a Christmas turkey, delighted with himself!
    Or, make it inaccessible, maybe place a puppy playpen around the couch, or turn the cushions up on their sides, or put stuff on the couch so there's no room for the dogs? These latter things probably won't "teach" the dogs not to jump up, although if you use them long enough the dogs may get out of the habit, though I wouldn't count on it!
    If you do find a successful answer, let us know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

That is one of the things I have been doing, just making it awkward to get/lie on - so I pop my hand-bag on there, and laptops and stuff. That does indeed work, but makes me look like a slob. And we have 2 couches, so I run out of stuff! :)

I don't want to go down the route of tarpaulin or tinfoil, mainly because I am far too lazy to add it and remove it every day!

To be honest, it's not a massive deal, I was just wondering if there was any training technique I could use. I suppose I'll just have to hope they get sick of being moved in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

When we got our girl we had to train her out of this habit. As soon as I got up she was up there curled up in my spot.
    I wore a t shirt for a couple of nights and put it on her bed. My command was off and then bed. She obeyed me but as soon as i walked out of the room she was back up.
    I left the t shirt there and just continued the commands. It took about a week and she just stopped. She has never attempted to sit on the couch since.

I figured that as it was my spot she always went to that she needed my smell. So a bed was put at the end of the couch beside where i sit and the t shirt placed on top.

It worked really well for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There's no chance that our two wouldn't get on the couch if we didn't cover them at night. We have a nest of tables and they go up on the couch and armchair last thing at night to prevent them sneaking up. There's no other way to keep them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Kash wrote: »
    They are happy in the living room, and with a new baby on the way, I want my dogs to be as happy as they can be.

ah I see! Totally understand that! The tshirt idea down below might be a good one so if the separation anxiety could be playing a part in it - ie the smell of you reassures? My guy has an old hoodie and a pj top in his house that he sleeps with every night and he loves going to bed but again that's not in our living room. Best o luck with it!

Advertisement