Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i pay tv licence for a period of 3 months?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

hi

i am moving out in 3 months to other country. my tv licence has expired. can i pay only for 3 months?

what will happen if i cancel direct debit after 3 months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik you are supposed to pay for the year and can apply for a refund on the Death of the licence holder if they die within the time of the licence, otherwise the licence is issued for a year.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

What foggy said is correct - it's all-or-nothing with the TV Licence, you can't pay in installments

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Pay by Direct Debit per month and cancel after 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭meitina

I'm paying mine by direct debit monthly ,i think ,if i remember right ,there was an option pay monthly ,or every 3 month ,or 6 months.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

pay by direct debit and cancel it after 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm paying mine by direct debit monthly ,i think ,if i remember right ,there was an option pay monthly ,or every 3 month ,or 6 months

There is, I pay monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although the payment is in installments, unlike a phone bill or whatever, the debt is incurred immediately and the OP will still be liable for the full payment even after cancelling the direct debit.

If he then closes his account and leaves the country, it's likely that eventually court proceedings for recovery of the debt will begin in his absence and could cause problems for him if he's moving to another EU country or if he ever intends on returning to Ireland.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

meitina wrote: »
    I'm paying mine by direct debit monthly ,i think ,if i remember right ,there was an option pay monthly ,or every 3 month ,or 6 months.:)

Ah yes, after a little more digging I found this - you're quite correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

seamus wrote: »
    Although the payment is in installments, unlike a phone bill or whatever, the debt is incurred immediately and the OP will still be liable for the full payment even after cancelling the direct debit.

If he then closes his account and leaves the country, it's likely that eventually court proceedings for recovery of the debt will begin in his absence and could cause problems for him if he's moving to another EU country or if he ever intends on returning to Ireland.

In reply to your statment denis o brien comes to mind sold eircom moved to spain with a full pocket of money & is now very friendly with present goverment !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

homingbird Please stay on topic. That is not relevant to this conversation

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement